LT1 Timing Chain - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #1

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I
Default LT1 Timing Chain

Can someone tell me the Difference in 2 timing chains both for the LT1

Cloyes C499 factory replacement pre stretched heat treated high grade metal.

Cloyes C509 same description but another place says heavy duty only difference I can see is it costs $15 more.

The oversized crank gear to take up slack in LT1 timing chain is Cloyes part # S505

Last edited by Viper; 01-31-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

josh89 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

they're pretty well the same. If you can it would be worth upgrading to a roller chain. its smaller and stronger
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Another thing to keep in mind is on a lt1 the crank gear and chain are the same as a sbc standard parts, it's just the cam gear that is different because of opti and waterpump drive.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

Catmaigne user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Go with a full roller chain. The amount of slop in the LT1 OEM stuff is pretty bad.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #5

My Facebook
Andrews_94Z28 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Yea i'm looking into replacing my timing chain as well. I was probably just gonna go with whatever autozone had to offer. Right now I'm bone stock but plan on doing full bolt ons, ported stock heads and a cam. Any suggestions or is a stock replacement fine for me.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

donzilla69 Apprentice Level Tech I

A roller chain is far better for pretty much anything . Has less friction all the way around .
Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #7

My Facebook

Yea so my buddy keeps telling me. Know of any places I can get one?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

josh89 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I just purchased the gm heavy duty lt1/lt4 roller chain. It's a fair price for the quality of the part and it works with the factory water pump
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh89 View Post
I just purchased the gm heavy duty lt1/lt4 roller chain. It's a fair price for the quality of the part and it works with the factory water pump
I hope you still have your receipt.

The best advice I can give to anyone on this site is:

DO NOT BUY THE LT4 HEAVY DUTY TIMING CHAIN SET!!!

Here's why...

The only roller timing chain set you can get and retain your stock cam driven water pump is the LT4 heavy duty timing chain set, priced $260 at JEGS. I'll compare this to the ZZ4 timing set at JEGS prices (b/c that's where I buy all of my crap).

LT1/LT4 timing set #809-12370835 @ $260
Crankshaft sprocket #809-14088784
Chain #809-14088783

ZZ4 timing set #
12371043 @$50
Crankshaft sprocket #809-14088784
Chain #809-14088783

Notice something? The crank sprockets and roller chains are IDENTICAL. Then why the $210 difference? The only perk of buying the LT4 set for $210 more is that you get a fancy cam sprocket that will let you retain your power robbing stock water pump... But why?

For $180 you could buy a JEGS 50GPM or CSR 30GPM electric water pump. You'll be gaining 10 horsepower and saving $30. Buy the ZZ4 set because it's a good excuse to upgrade to an EWP. It's what I run.

Disclaimer: The JEGS pump is a rebranded CSR heavy duty unit for the same price as the low end model which is all fine and dandy, BUT you'll need to trim the electric fan shroud with a dremel or it won't fit.

Last edited by Catmaigne; 02-25-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #10

And don't go buy another OEM non roller. They're absolute crap. You will regret it once you pull your timing cover and play with the factory chain.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #11

My Facebook

Hmmm very interesting information ill deff keep that in mind when i'm looking for parts! Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #12

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

To clarify...guys with non-vented optis can't do an aftermarket roller timing set. They don't have the provision to drive the opti. They are pretty much stuck with a stock set which has been reliable for many people even with performance upgrades. Aftermarket roller sets are only for people with an EWP and vented opti. The LT4 ED set requires a vented opti, but will run the stock water pump.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #13

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

Thx Shoebox I bought the heat treated high performance factory replacement pre stretched ( reason for the slack and provides slightly better high rpm performance) Cloyes C499 as mine is non vented opti. Several have used oem or better parts with good results and my budget allows this.

I now have $315 in cam ported heads Lt4 springs retainers Locks Seals and Timing Chain.

http://wumingta.tripod.com/pub/porting19.jpg

http://wumingta.tripod.com/pub/camsprings.jpg

Question Shoebox on intake manifold gasket is the GM 12367777 qty 1 or GM kit of 2 12528884 intake manifold gaskets ok to use with ported LT1 heads?

Last edited by Viper; 02-26-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #14

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

IDK, I don't have any personal experience with those gaskets. I would assume you could trim most any gasket as necessary.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #15

DUDBIRD113 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Lucky for me im going to run my non vented opti with a standard sbc timing set. Just gonna turn down a old cam sprocket with the spline in it and mount it behind the new chain and space the crank sprocket correctly. When i do it i shall take pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement