Going crazy - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

kalawaka user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Going crazy

Have a 1993 firebird formula, things ive replaced so far, ICM, Optispark + harness. The weird thing is i can get the car running if i leave the key in the accessory position for anywhere from 10-15 minutes and it starts right up and runs perfect for about 10 minutes then it starts to idle weird and eventually shut down. Checked fuel pressure throughout and it stays at a steady 39-42. Pulled codes 16 and 36 if anyone was wondering. Just dont know where to go from here any advice would be great thanks. Was also told by previous owner that it had a chip in it not sure if that could be affecting anything.

Last edited by kalawaka; 01-02-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #2

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

16 and 36 mean your opti or the wiring is still screwed. are you sure those arent leftover codes from before you replaced the opti?

optis can be defective out of the box, you know; happens all the time
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to see if codes clear. If not, check the opti wire harness. Check it out fully, that means connector themselves, pins for corrosion, bent, burnt. Check the wire visually and with an ohm meter to see if there's too much resistance.

If all is well with opti wiring, but code 16 and?or 36 come back, go to sticky threads of this section and open the diagnosing the opti thread. Watch the video and run the tests.

When you changed the icm, did you put heat sink compound on it's back and on the heat sink? If not you can burn up the icm in short order.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

still getting the codes and i replaced the opti with a MSD with all MSD spark plug wires and same with the harness. I just dont understand how it could be can opti or something along that line if i leave the key on for 10 minutes it starts up runs great then after 10 minutes it idles rough and shuts down.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

XtremeOracing Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalawaka View Post
still getting the codes and i replaced the opti with a MSD with all MSD spark plug wires and same with the harness. I just dont understand how it could be can opti or something along that line if i leave the key on for 10 minutes it starts up runs great then after 10 minutes it idles rough and shuts down.
Ok, I am not sure I follow you on the "I leave the key on for 10 minutes it starts" are you putting the key in the on position, leaving it there for 10 minutes and then starting the car?

and you say without doing so the car won't start?

1997 Z28 M6
Do | You | Want | Some | Slaw | ?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

If i leave the key in the accessory position for 10 min or so then it will start right but starts to run rough or so after 5 min or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement