Discuss How long do they last? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Pro Et E101 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default How long do they last?

I just picked up a 97 Formula and was curious.....How long will an LT1 last? My "new" one has over 242,000 miles on the original motor and still runs great. The heads haven't even been off yet! It has had a new timing chain and gaskets in front but thats it.

Andrew
1 slow LT1
1 Fast 83
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

My Facebook
rich5368 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

As long as you take care of it. The highest I've seen one is 315,000 miles and it was still running awesome. Guy said all he's ever done is change the oil and plugs an opti and a water pump.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #3

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

I once read on another forum that one of the major cab companies in Chicago,during the mid 90's, had a fleet of Chevy caprice sedan LT1 taxis and a few of them had 500,000 miles on their motors. That sounds possible
if they were well cared for,but on the flip side I am not sure what kinds of repairs the motors had undergone. Alot of guys run cars on the drag strip with over 100,000 miles on them,but personally I wouldnt. ed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

cardo0 Apprentice Level Tech I
Default Care makes a large difference.

I read something similar by D. Vizard the Yellow cab taxi's used the 350" sb chevy - which is pretty much same short block as our GEN II's - and got a regular 350k mi between over hauls (short block that is). The old GEN I flat tappet cams lasted like 135k mi but were only cast iron cores where the GEN II used mostly billet steel cores - rollers too. And of course the LT1 aluminum heads have alloy vlv seats that should out last the old hardened cast iron seats of GEN I motors - something like only 65k mi before vlv jobs for those GEN I heads.
All that said my last LT1 engine (original motor) lost >50lbs compression in #8 cyl and pulled it with only 135k mi. Upon dissemble found all kinds of sealer oozing and solidified out in front of #1 cyl.
So i guess what i would do if the engine still runs with good compression then used it - don't cost a dime and makes the same power.

Hope this helps,
cardo
'94 Z lowered 1" with Edlebrock headers, PCM4less tune, A4 BTO level 3, Honker CAI, TPIS TB w/bypass, stock 3.23 gears w/TA girdle cover, 250k mi. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393600...photo-gallery/. Rock in the garage is '74 vette.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #5

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racy Roadmaster View Post
I once read on another forum that one of the major cab companies in Chicago,during the mid 90's, had a fleet of Chevy caprice sedan LT1 taxis and a few of them had 500,000 miles on their motors.......
Yeah.....cab companies all over this country will tell you that a well maintained LT1 will last upwards of 500K miles.

The thing with your 'new' car is.....you don't really KNOW that it's been well maintained.

HOWEVER.....the fact that it's lasted 242K miles is a good thing !

KW
Yank 3200 stall TC, 4.10 gears
Bryan Herter tuning = 419 rwHP @ 6250 and 450 rwTQ @ 3750
SR 398ci in the works
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #6

Pro Et E101 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I know the history of the last 120,000 at least,And he fixed and added anything and everything! I would never consider one with this many miles had It been anybody else's. He bought it from the original owner in about 01 or 02. I just hope he sells me the '10 Camaro he just replaced it with in 10 or 12 years! LOL

Andrew
1 slow LT1
1 Fast 83
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

MrCompton user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

This makes me happy to see, as my 94 Z has only 130,000 miles. Can't wait to swap an LT1 into my 88 RS.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

1993Hawk user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I know a guy that had a 97 Z28 M6 (stock} that had 184k on the motor. The car looked rough as he had a problem of running into things permanent fixtures like.. curbs, fence posts and all. But the engine and trans were bulletproof. He was good about keeping the car tuned and changing the oil, but didnt really care what it looked like. He drove the car for 10yrs and and made regular trips to the dragstrip where it ran 13.80's. Last time I saw it run with 180K plus it clicked off 14.00 flat @100 mph. He said the clutch was starting to slip a little and probably needed to be replaced. He drove this car everywhere and in any kind of weather. Also the car was on its 2nd clutch the original died at 100k, he replaced the original opti at 140K. Pretty dam good motor and trans for sure !
1993 LT1 Firehawk #118, M6
Mods- Mac midlengths, 160 stat, PCMForless tune. Dyno 309 rwhp, 342 rwtq
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Xzauhst user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Do you guys mean how long do they last before a rebuild or last before they blow up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
1994 Camaro Z28 18x,xxx miles New LT1 and built 4L60E - K&N CAI, Elbow, Air Foil, kooks LT headers, True Duals w/ Dynomax Bullets dumped, 160 stat & fans on early, EGR & AIR delete, EWP, 255FP, ProTrorque 3200 stall, Pcm for Less tune, ET Streets 13.336 @101.9 1.844 60' without the duals/ewp

Soon to be mods: s60 w/ 3.73 gears
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #10

shagginwagon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

mine has 166k on it right now, i live in northeast arkansas and have drove it to memphis, kentucky, mississippi, central missouri..... and she has never let me down, and since about 120k it has had tons of hell, during the summer it pulls a boat and goes to one of two dragstrips on a weekly basis
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #11

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

thing is with cabs, they are run pretty hard, and they go over their maintaince intervals pretty regularly.

but they are always at operating temperature during the entire work day.. it's a testament to engines lasting longer if you actually DRIVE the things

keep in mind too, miles and operational hours are different things.

an sbc under regular use can last 2500+ hours, a car driven on regular highway runs might rack up 400,000 miles in that time, whereas a car driven only in town might only get 100,000 miles, and the car driven in town will be WAY more worn out, every single part will have more fatigue and wear
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #12

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
.....an sbc under regular use can last 2500+ hours, a car driven on regular highway runs might rack up 400,000 miles in that time, whereas a car driven only in town might only get 100,000 miles......
A car driven normally for 2500 hours might roll about 50K miles. Trust me on that.....but this is mox-nix

Your point is absolutely spot on! An engine that is run pretty continuously at constant RPMs will darn near run forever; where-as an engine ran intermittently at varying RPMs will see a more normal 'wear & tear'.

KW
Yank 3200 stall TC, 4.10 gears
Bryan Herter tuning = 419 rwHP @ 6250 and 450 rwTQ @ 3750
SR 398ci in the works
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

Beef supreme user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I could see one lasting 500kish, that's with regular maintenance and the engine ran well and by well I mean it's no stranger to high rpms and normal operating temperatures. Getting the engine up to temp is important I think, helps evaporate all the condensation and gas out of the oil which causes less wear.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #14

Gamikatsu user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Letting an engine warm up properly is key to lasting a long time too... but yes... modern engines are a lot stronger than the gen1 sbc. the 5.3 vortecs are lasting 300K regularly... cylinder ridge removal, slight over sized rings, slap back together with new gaskets, good to go for another 100k or 200k, or more... the metallurgy is a lot better than it used to be... LT1's are good motors, good designs... there just hated on by the LSx community because they are inferior in power, and ease of working on.
02 Trans Am Firehawk #153
Arctic white on black leather
LS1 A4

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy
You have a automatic, a dyno will only hurt feelings.
Go race your car
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Poda user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

The fleetwood my spare transmission came out of had over 330,000 miles. The engine went on to be transplanted as is into a friend's daily driver Caprice and still running strong. My parents have a Roadmaster Wagon with just under 550,000kms on it (roughly 345,000 miles) of not-stellar but acceptable maintenance throughout it's life. And the Roady's had some hard hauling miles put on it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement