New Optispark - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

Tuf Ta user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default New Optispark

New Chevy Buick Pontiac Ignition Distributor Optispark Opti Spark LT1 5 7L V8 | eBay

This link above shows a remaned opti spark with what seems like a too good to be true price IMO after seeing some rather high prices... The part number given is an AC delco unit.. My question is (because I honestly know really nothing about the lt1 optispark other than vented and non vented lol) does this look like a complete assembly? In other words, would I be able to take this and do a complete swap with mine (Plug and play)? It looks like he's sold quite a few of these with generally good feedback. But before I pull the trigger I'd like to know if there's anything else I should be looking for..

A few day's ago my car started running rough after being warmed up, it will go away after a few seconds but it seems inevitable that my opti is going bad.. I had a radiator hose blow right above it about a month ago and I have been waiting for a problem to arise, because it blew fluid all over the opti.. I'm going to check my ICM here in a few minutes but found this on ebay and saw a good price so I would like to know ASAP if it's worth buying.. Sorry about the long post. Thanks guys..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

That might look like a "new" unit, but it does not look like OEM (GM, AC-Delco or Delphi). I'd say too good to be true, as you suspect. Buy at your own risk.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Tuf Ta user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

see and when I type in the manufacurers number it comes up as a ac delco unit. This is the Manufacture number given.. 1104032.. but Like I said I'm not sure what a GM unit looks like and if you say it doesn't look like one than I believe you.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

GM units cost around $400, there's no way anyone can sell the genuine article for $52. Unless it's an eccentric billionaire running the company who wants to lose $350 for every unit he sells. You can't even buy a GM cap and rotor for that price.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #5

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

I know the number they post is for the original GM part, but that does not mean that is what it is-only that they claim it the same thing. Think real hard and you will come to the conclusion that this has to be a cheaply made replacement.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

cardo0 Apprentice Level Tech I
Default Summit racing.

Last time i shopped for an AC Delco Opti Summit Racing had the best price. The AC Delco label was hard to find on the box at first but it really was an AC Delco unit. My last off-brand opti lasted <2 yrs (i think it was a Cardone unit but no longer certian). Make shure u order the late model ('96) Opti with the vacuum vent system (the first model Opti's had only holes venting to the bottom/atmoshpere).
Ok so i take a look at Summit Racing and see they want 450 bucks for an AC Delco now. Whew! I thought mine was like $250ish.

Good luck, sorry for the bad news,
cardo
'94 Z lowered 1" with Edlebrock headers, PCM4less tune, A4 BTO level 3, Honker CAI, TPIS TB w/bypass, stock 3.23 gears w/TA girdle cover, 250k mi. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393600...photo-gallery/. Rock in the garage is '74 vette.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #7

95 Firehawk Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardo0 View Post
Ok so i take a look at Summit Racing and see they want 450 bucks for an AC Delco
Summit has them on clearance for $299.

Optispark II

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
1995 Firehawk #528 resto-mod underway

Planned 383 rebuild: 195cc competition LT4 AFR heads, custom cam grind (still debating specs), 6" or 5.85" rods, forged internals

Upgraded T56: Viper mainshaft and 2nd gear, steel 3/4 shift fork, Billet keys 1-4, bronze shifter cup, internals Cryo'd and REM'd
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuf Ta View Post
.......This link above shows a remaned opti spark with what seems like a too good to be true price......
Yes; that is a great price. But I'll tell ya this......I would NEVER put that thing on one of my cars .......

KW
Yank 3200 stall TC, 4.10 gears
Bryan Herter tuning = 419 rwHP @ 6250 and 450 rwTQ @ 3750
SR 398ci in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement