tale of two cats - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

blackbird97 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default tale of two cats

I Paid for an exhaust system earlier this year and haven't taken thecar to get it installed yet, due to unforseen set backs i.e the death of my engine builder. I really believe the shoP got over on me. first off they charged 250 for a y PiPe, 150 each for two catalytic converters and 400 bucks for a flowmaster catback. However,after doing some research I found an slP catback for the same as the flowmaster, a new Pacesetter ORY for 130, and slP high flow universal cats for 100 bucks Per. My question is do I need two cats? I'm using headers. After doing my own research I did manage to save myself almost 500 bucks in shoP fees and Parts. Since I have not gotten any of the work done, I'm going to the shoP and asking for a refund. Im not naming them because maybe they figured I was an easy mark....or like every other business here in Fayetnam...saw a soldier coming andthought chi-ching!!! At any rate, as long as they honor my request, I won't have them Publicly embarrassed and blacklisted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Good luck getting the refund. The best weapon against being taken advantage of is knowledge. Do research before you plunk down your hard earned.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

the amounts that were mentioned, were taken from my receipt. If we cannot willfully reach an agreement, there is more than one way to skin a cat...
The charged amount was paid in full but no services have been rendered, so that is the anlge I'm going togo with initially. I'm not going to go in there guns ablazing, have to attempt the sensible approach first
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #4

DUDBIRD113 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Gotta remeber that at a shop or garage their trying to profit on everything. At least thats how they around here by me.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #5

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

Worked in high school for an Ex con (federal prison time) had to sell $9 Trans medic from checker auto for $28 at a service station when he was around. When not I'd warn people. In college Financial Management Analysis Major Minor Economics 3.94 GPA BBA 1994 NMSU struck me as odd 128 Credit hours of business classes and other electives. 1/2 credit hour of ethics and I still hear the brainwashing of professors Maximize profit, Maximize shareholder wealth. Used to be some good hard working people but nowdays more people take the shortcuts everyones a hustler a con artist a salesperson a lier a pretender. Even TV encourages this with entire shows on how to do it to simple extent.
You can seek the help of your state attorneys general office or the better business bureau if local resources are corrupt and collusive. Even the state resources might collude.

When involving transaction across the state lines Federal Help available

Surface Transportation Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Mail Fraud contact the Postal inspector General.

Local cases might consult a District Attorneys Office and or a Lawyer that specializes in Fraud.

State your background and let them know your not going to be a sucker for them and want resonable service at a reasonable price.

Did you have an agreement in Writing receipt? if so Contract elements 1.Offer and acceptance 2. Legal Subject Matter 3. Parties legally capable of entering a contract. 4. Adequate consideration.

Agree to have x done for $ $ paid. Written receipt oral agreements are harder to prove. Do business in writing.
Any changes to the original agreement are revision to the contract if agreed by both parties. Alternately the contract can be recinded and a new contract with new terms created. Lastly Specific performance of the original contract might be enforced.

Caveat Emptor let the Buyer Beware. Perform cost comparison(Economic Analysis/Cost Benefit Analysis) before purchasing or while getting written estimates from various providers.

Getting peoples money no longer requires service warranty or the customer is always right.

Last edited by Viper; 12-31-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #6

2cat95TA Apprentice Level Tech I

I'm actually surprised by those prices, they seem low for a shop to charge.

Research saves money, I don't know how many times I have to tell people that

Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Administrator

Transamman25 Tradesman Level Tech I

The prices aren't bad But the job can be done much cheaper without the cats and their fabbed up y-pipe. That being said you would need a mail order tune to tune out the cats. As for the flowmaster catback you already have the exhaust tubing just swap the muffler for something more aggressive.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #8

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

If you ever get an unauthorized or excessive charge on a Credit card you can call the issuer and have them dispute the charges.

If at any time you feel like your being taken to the cleaners walk away from the deal and find another supplier with better prices or service.

Service with a smile or people that are nice like they used to be, have manners, courtesy, and are helpful make me paranoid or suspiscious. Used to be called manners values morals etiquette human emotion customer service. Now its a conmans game trust no one.

Last edited by Viper; 12-31-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #9

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
If you ever get an unauthorized or excessive charge on a Credit card you can call the issuer and have them dispute the charges.

If at any time you feel like your being taken to the cleaners walk away from the deal and find another supplier with better prices or service.

Service with a smile or people that are nice like they used to be, have manners, courtesy, and are helpful make me paranoid or suspiscious. Used to be called manners values morals etiquette human emotion customer service. Now its a conmans game trust no one.
Viper,You are so right and another thing, if someone says thank you
be cautious. Thank you and the words uses has not been taught in schools for the last twenty years,so be especially cautious if a young person uses the word. ed
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #10

Pro Et E101 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

You might be able to get your money back if he hasn't already bought your parts,but think about it....They are there to make money not to give their time for nothing. How long did you spend looking up what might work and where to get everything cheaper? A shop will not shop around on Ebay or any other internet sites for the best price for you. Every shop that I know of makes money on parts not just labor!

Andrew
1 slow LT1
1 Fast 83
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

Those prices aren't bad and not every shop knows where to resource parts for specific cars. I wouldn't bother with high flow cats, they always end up being crap and going bad after a short while. That is the one place you are getting robbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

The thing is, the total amount charged came out to 1200 bucks. I heard about the shop from other enthusiasts and one engine builder who warned me that they would price gouge in a heartbeat... Sadly I received the latter info only after I had paid them. I'm discussing options for my exhaust with them right now. So far the shop seems willing to work around my refund request to keep my business.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #13

Viper,

I agree with your post. The seller has forgotten thatthe consumer has the buying power...and most consumers have forgotten how to make sellers earn their patronage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement