help me build my LT1 - Page 2 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

You make the power in the top end, not the bottom end. A 383 with stock heads isn't going to be much better than what you have. A 350 with good heads and cam will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #17

97z28convt user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Thanks .. that seems to be the general consensus. Gotta figure out what heads will compliment a gm846 the best
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

no tune, nothing is gonna give its 100%, 383 with stock heads not worth the investment.
id go, loyd elliot heads and cam with a matching tune would kick ass!
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #19

Thanks.. ill check out lloyds as well. Yeah i kmow a tune and stall are a must.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
bym

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97z28convt View Post
Thanks.. ill check out lloyds as well. Yeah i kmow a tune and stall are a must.
definitely, loyd sells great packages for awesome prices, he offers different kinds of them, from stage 1 to 3, hes numbers advertised are very accurate, they will all depend on your engines condition. check his site, you might find whatever your looking for
http://elliottsportworks.com/
its always better to go with a custom grind cam than with an off the shelf if your thinking performance specially if your running a 150 shot since you can have a N20 grind for it

plus I believe you can send over your heads and pay for the work done on them as well as your manifold and tb.
you can always run with stock stall even though some cams require higher stall due to hesitation in idle speed. lt1īs love stall thats for sure....

tune Its definitely a must! even if you run with your stock setup. just by adding long tubes there has to be a tune to run properly the air fuel ratio mixture due to the extensions from the o2 sensors and obviously the travel speed with the fuel mixture and so. ive seen cars gain up to 30whp completely stock just with the tune.

as I can see your building a 97 lt1 am I wrong? do you still run cats with it? cause if your not running cats you are probably having an SES light unless you have 02 simulators. with the tune you can have this readings cleared out, as well as the EGR and many other stuff in there, since your running N20 you will benefit a lot from the tune! definitely....
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #21

I have headers. Don't run cats, and have sims.. prob tune it out though. Good tip. I run 4.11 gears. I'm prob gonna do trick flow heads , Elliot is expensove and so is ari by comparison.. since My 2k build is now nearing 4k.. trick flow it is.. seem good and they make a good product. Flow is just as good as elliots and 55 cc combustion chamber
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
bym

Quote:
I have headers. Don't run cats, and have sims.. prob tune it out though. Good tip. I run 4.11 gears. I'm prob gonna do trick flow heads , Elliot is expensove and so is ari by comparison.. since My 2k build is now nearing 4k.. trick flow it is.. seem good and they make a good product. Flow is just as good as elliots and 55 cc combustion chamber
tell out how it turns out
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #23

Thanks. guys. Think 503 is a good cam ? I want something with a little choppyness to it but still streetable. Definately want someone who doesn't know cars to know something is doff when they walk up to it. I saw another thread someone had am elliots cam matched by them. Thoughts.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
bym

Quote:
Thanks. guys. Think 503 is a good cam ? I want something with a little choppyness to it but still streetable. Definately want someone who doesn't know cars to know something is doff when they walk up to it. I saw another thread someone had am elliots cam matched by them. Thoughts.
cc503 cam is a great street/strip cam, mild chopy idle, great mid/high rpm range.
remember that you will need better valve springs, rockers and hardened pushrods on this setup.
but it would be a great time to do it since you will be saving on various parts like gaskets, time, etc
heres a vast list of cams and brief descriptions on common off the shelf cams: read this thread carefully it could show you where you want to be..

**LT1 Camshaft/Valve Train Selection Guide**

Last edited by bym; 01-08-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #25

munger user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

im glad i came across this thread im going to be throwing a cam in my 96 lt1 and prob get my heads ported i was going to go with the lt4 hot cam kit 500 bucks for the kit thats cheap but i kinda want more hp than what it offers.. i dont mean to take over your post but on the hole computer tuning thing i am kinda scared because my lt1 is in a 96 s10 i have the computer out of the car but thats it will i be fine with just that ? also the motors from a caprice classic should i try to get the aluminum stock heads off a camaro ported or try to port my iron heads i have now ? thanks and sorry
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #26

Yeah the assembled heads from trick flow have upgraded springs .. callin um tomorrow to confirm they are good for the 503 cam... Yeah gotta figure out brand for 1.6rr.. full roller of course. Brand on lifters and rods as well...

As for the dude with the s10, I can't really comment on that one. Hope someone can help ya. You'll prob get more responses if you do a new thread
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
10 Second Opti Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by munger View Post
im glad i came across this thread im going to be throwing a cam in my 96 lt1 and prob get my heads ported i was going to go with the lt4 hot cam kit 500 bucks for the kit thats cheap but i kinda want more hp than what it offers.. i dont mean to take over your post but on the hole computer tuning thing i am kinda scared because my lt1 is in a 96 s10 i have the computer out of the car but thats it will i be fine with just that ? also the motors from a caprice classic should i try to get the aluminum stock heads off a camaro ported or try to port my iron heads i have now ? thanks and sorry
If its an f-y-b-body computer controlling the engine, I see no problem. Just mention it to the tuner. Aluminum heads are more desirable but not necessary. Talk to Lloyd about it. You can find stock heads for $200 all day long.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #28

yeah its out of a b body thanks a a lot for the help im probably going to find a set of aluminum heads and get them worked... would that cc503 cam be good for a dd i plan on taking it to the strip this summer. or should i get the hot cam kit from jegs ?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #29

im going with the cc503 i found a older tread on here.. bym stated some good points almost the same price has more hp and gets around the same mpg..i would be dumb not to plus the sound of that choppy idle whats not to love about... thanks again 97z28convt best of luck to you.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
10 Second Opti Club

Yup, 503 over the hotcam all day long.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement