Belt Tensioner - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Angry Belt Tensioner

So I was driving home from campus today, pulled onto a street and heard a loud noise. Following the noise my power steering went out, and my battery wasn't charging. So I drove to the nearest auto parts store and popped the hood figuring it was my belt that broke. Nope, my tensioner pulley is GONE . Which would explain the noise I heard. I really hope the bolt didnt shear off. I wont have time to check it out till Friday (I hate finals), but I got the replacement pulley for 12$ which isnt bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Global Moderator

Had the same thing happen to my 90 camaro dd. Went to the store, pulled out from parking lot, head a loud clunk, then no charge, water temp climbed, etc. Seems the tensioner bearing broke right off. Bought new assembly, no problems since then.

If I were you, I'd take the pulley back and buy the whole assembly. It will cost you more, but you'll have some more peace of mind for the extra $$$.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that's probably a good idea, I'd really rather not have that happen again. Driving 65+ and having my power steering go out was a new experience. Haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement