LS1LT1 Forum banner

Belt Tensioner

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  aappss01 
#1 ·
So I was driving home from campus today, pulled onto a street and heard a loud noise. Following the noise my power steering went out, and my battery wasn't charging. So I drove to the nearest auto parts store and popped the hood figuring it was my belt that broke. Nope, my tensioner pulley is GONE :eek:. Which would explain the noise I heard. I really hope the bolt didnt shear off. I wont have time to check it out till Friday (I hate finals), but I got the replacement pulley for 12$ which isnt bad. :mad:

#2 ·
Had the same thing happen to my 90 camaro dd. Went to the store, pulled out from parking lot, head a loud clunk, then no charge, water temp climbed, etc. Seems the tensioner bearing broke right off. Bought new assembly, no problems since then.

If I were you, I'd take the pulley back and buy the whole assembly. It will cost you more, but you'll have some more peace of mind for the extra $$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.