Lt1 cam - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

95z28lt user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Lt1 cam

Im doing a rebuild on a 95 z28. What do you guys think the biggest lift cam I can put in with stock valve springs??? Just looking to see what you guys think thank a lot have a good day
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #2

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

I wouldn't go over about .500" with the stock springs......

But that's just me.

KW
Yank 3200 stall TC, 4.10 gears
Bryan Herter tuning = 419 rwHP @ 6250 and 450 rwTQ @ 3750
SR 398ci in the works
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

I would not use any cam any bigger than stock with stock springs. IOW, if you upgrade the cam, springs should be upgraded, too. Stock springs are going to be old and tired. They won't be wiling to take on more stress.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Another vote for stock cam at most.

If the heads are off, its entirely silly to NOT replace the valve springs. I would spend the money on springs before a cam if I had to pick between one or the other.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

I was under the impression that he was gonna go with new, stock springs......not using the same 17 or 18 year-old springs already on the car.

But hell.....I could be wrong.

KW
Yank 3200 stall TC, 4.10 gears
Bryan Herter tuning = 419 rwHP @ 6250 and 450 rwTQ @ 3750
SR 398ci in the works
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

bufmatmuslepants Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to bufmatmuslepants

Springs are cheap, you can pick up a decent set of Howards and Alex's springs for $100, for $240 you can get a really really nice set of Lunati dual springs. On the cheap side, LT4 springs are $35 from Jegs and Summit, but anything more than the hotcam will be too much for them.
94 Z28 M6 hardtop power nothing LS1 lid, ported MAF, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, dump, 7/16 NSA Pro Mags, CSR EWP, Bilstein HDs, BMR springs, 32 front 23 rear sway bars, MSD opti, NGK TR55s, Taylor 8.2mm, B&M ripper shifter, underdrive pulley, Trifecta tune, LT4 KM, Poly LCAs and short TA, 3.73s, 295/35/18s
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

Dynamic396 Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Another vote for stock cam at most.

If the heads are off, its entirely silly to NOT replace the valve springs. I would spend the money on springs before a cam if I had to pick between one or the other.
I agree with what's been said here.

Functionally, like KW said, at most .500" lift... Practically, I wouldn't even use a stock cam with stock valve springs. If I were forced to replace either the cam or the springs, but only one and not the other, I would replace the springs without hesitation.

The stock springs were barely adequate for a stock cam when they left the factory - decades ago. Nowadays, they're tired and worn out.
1995 Camaro Z-28, M6, 396 stroker, Scat forged 3.875" crank, Scat Ultra Q-Lite 6" H-beams, Icon forged pistons (4.030"), splayed 4 bolt w/ARP studs, 12.25:1, AFR 210 heads (2.08"/1.6", 58cc), Comp Ultra Pro Magnum XD 1.7:1 rockers, GM847 cam (234/242 .611"/.632"), Edelbrock LT4 air-gap intake, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, 24x conversion, 0411 PCM, TPIS 58mm, Bosch III 42# injectors, Aeromotive 340, Kook's stepped LT's, Kook's custom stainless 3-1/2" merge ORY, Magnaflow
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

if you'd ever revved one of these motors in stock trim with the valve cover off, you'd never even think about rebuilding a motor with stock springs

the springs are so close to binding with a stock cam its rediculous

and its not necessarily the spring that'll break if it hits the limit.. if the spring doesnt give.. they have soft pushrods and wimpy little stamped rockers.. something will give

if you're really intent on using the stock springs for a while on a bigger cam 'cause you're broke or whatever, i'd say run it right near zero valve lash and live with the noise, it might buy you a little safety margin

My LT1 Projects: .. EEX - Tunerpro XDF .. LT1 Tech Page ..
.. Unix ALDL Datastream Parser .. My Daily Driver ..
Please don't pm me questions unless absolutely necessary,
post a thread so it may help others in the future...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
I was under the impression that he was gonna go with new, stock springs......not using the same 17 or 18 year-old springs already on the car.

But hell.....I could be wrong.

KW
That might be true and I thought of that, but it would be a step in the wrong direction to use any (even new) stock spring with an upgraded cam. I mean, if you are going to change them, change them to something appropriate.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

95z28lt user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I was going to get new stocks springs from a buddy that's y I was wondering what do u guys think is a better choice buying a bigger cam and springs or buying the hot cam kit??
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If its not modded much, and you don't plan on racing it just want some added oomph and a little snarl, the hotcam kit is a decent upgrade.

Otherwise, get a good set of springs, and cam, IF you have the supporting mods and desire to have it tuned well via dyno tune.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement