Question mysterious coolant leak - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

shedevil user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default mysterious coolant leak

I have a 94 firebird formula, I just took out the engine and had it rebuilt due to blown head. I have 6,000 miles on the new engine but it has had a coolant leak since it was put in. No coolant on the ground or on the engine it is all dry. I have to add a1/4 to 1/2 gallon everytime I drive it. New everything was put on. New hoses, pump,thermostat, everything. Only thing not new was alt. and manifolds and most eletrical. Please help sucks having new engine and having to add water. Spent 3 thou on rebuild and parts.

Last edited by shedevil; 11-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Have you got any white exhaust smoke? That would say you have coolant entering the cylinder and going out the exhaust pipe. Have you checked for signs of a blown head gasket. Blown hg does not automatically mean coolant in the oil. A compression test can help diagnose blown hg. One cylinder low or 2 cylinders next to each other low. Run car with radiator cap off and look for bubbles in the rad coolant. Also a temp gauge that swings to hot and back down to normal, on a regular basis is a sign. Or overheating when all other causes have been eliminated

Did you put all the coolant hoses in their correct positions, that could cause problems. Did you bleed the system of air when you started running the engine.

Did you make sure heads were flat and no cracks, as well as, head sealing surface of block and check block for cracks.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 11-18-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

Default mysterious coolant leak

Car runs great normal exaust smoke no overheating problems runs normal temp never overheated.Had the engine put in 8 months ago only driven 10 -20 miles a day. Looked at all the obvious things did heater core all the normal cause of coolant problems. No dice
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Supporting Member

USMC user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Pressure test the coolant system and se where that leads you
96 WS6..Ported stock intake w/58mm TB, 4bolt, 4340 SCAT RA/H-Beams/pistons, AFR195 Comp 58cc, ISKY Billet Steel 244/258 .600/.600, 1.5 Comp Magnum RR, CM PR's, Bal W/I 1/2 gram w/1725 Bob Weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DpZpTcJaA
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

Already did pressure test. Nothin
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Supporting Member

USMC user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Hmmm.

Shedevil,
Reading between the lines I assume you have checked all the obvious. This said lets start to think about whats not obvious. Because a press test yielded no results think and look at all coolant areas where any and all coolant passes through in one way or another. I am assuming this may be a pin hole leak that is evaporating where you cant hardly tell. Check hard lines and soft lines then recheck and then double check. Use a white rag/cloth when doing this as it will show any coolant. I once found a phantom hydraulic leak on an aircraft like this after several other Marines could not find it. Low and behold it was right in front of our eyes but we just could not see it. Try this and we will go from there.
96 WS6..Ported stock intake w/58mm TB, 4bolt, 4340 SCAT RA/H-Beams/pistons, AFR195 Comp 58cc, ISKY Billet Steel 244/258 .600/.600, 1.5 Comp Magnum RR, CM PR's, Bal W/I 1/2 gram w/1725 Bob Weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DpZpTcJaA
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #7

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

it could also be that the cooling system was improperly bled (many shops do not know how to fill a reverse flow cooling system with bleeder screws). it could be burping.

have you read the proper instructions on how to fill the cooling system, and tried that?

1/4-1/2 a gallon is a TON of coolant and there is NO f$#ing way a leak of that size would be unnoticeable in form of a puddle or a trail behind the car

if you're concerned that it might be a head sealing issue, pull some spark plugs. either your oil will be milky, or your plugs will be eerily clean if you're burning coolant
.. Automatic LT1 Tuning Tool ..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

I'd look at all the plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement