Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver Isl., BC
the latest lt1 mystery
ok so... bought a non-running car. it's a 97. it has a full 1995 engine swap, incl. ecm. wiring all seems fairly cleanly done.
the guy had a motor rebuilt and put in, with a lunati cam, roller rockers, and beehive springs.
it ran fine, and shortly after it died, he assumed because of crap in the tank.
i looked in the tank and agreed with that diagnosis, and bought it
the engine cranks over, and fires only intermittently. its like... crank crank crank fire... crank.. fire... and it doesnt seem consistent which cylinders are firing, or whatever.
there is no backfiring
if i hold it at 1/4 throttle and keep cranking, eventually it'll keep running, but acts like its running on 2 cylinders. barely goes.
i've gotten this far:
- cleaned tank and fuel system. newer pump in it. replaced fuel filter. 40+lbs of fuel pressure, including while cranking, and 20 minutes later it hasn't bled down any
- replaced injectors (new accel injectors), they were very gummed up
- pulled valve covers and looked at rockers moving, checked lifter preload
- plug wires are going to the right plugs. very strong spark while cranking
- injector wires are going to the right injectors. test lighted some injector plugs. they're definitely getting juice
now, this thing has had the motor re&re, so is it possible something has been missed during reinstall?
im fresh out of ideas at this point
any idea what else i can look at?