O2 Sensor and Engine Swap - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxpaulmon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default O2 Sensor and Engine Swap

I've used an 1994 LT-1 engine in my "LoCost 7" project car, everything is done, built, so now it's tuning and optimizing. There are two O2 sensors for this engine, my understanding is pre-cat and post-cat. I'm running the engine with headers to straight pipes down the left and right side of the car so there is no y-pipe. This means the O2 sensor can't get a read from both the left and right cylinder banks. I originally placed the precat O2 sensor on the left exhaust and the post-cat on the right exhaust but that's obviously not the way to do this.

If I just use a single O2 sensor and delete the post-cat sensor via a flash, then I'm only going to be reading half the engine, far from ideal but good enough? Is the only alternative to remove the O2 sensors complete and tune accordingly? There is absolutely no room to install a Y pipe, that's for sure.

Anyone have any suggestions here?

The attached pictures really have no purpose on the above question, I just thought you'd like to see the car and engine bay.
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

You should have two 02 sensors, and since its a 94, one per bank.

Not one pre cat and one post. So un-delete the one, and swap it to the other side. Should be good to go then.

Car looks sweet btw!

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxpaulmon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post

Not one pre cat and one post. So un-delete the one, and swap it to the other side. Should be good to go then.

Car looks sweet btw!

Ah, cool, Thx. Must have read the pre post thing somewhere and misunderstood. So I have it right, just might have them backwards.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

cardo0 Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post

Car looks sweet btw!
Yes, each bank/side has a O2 sensor. But there where camaro's with the before and after cat O2's - though i don't recall which years.

FYI the O2's take special wire and connectors otherwise the loop resistance will change and the PCM will read an incorrect signal - close but not correct. What i'm saying is use the stock wiring harness - not off the shelf wiring for the sensors to the PCM.

Mann thats a cool project car Paul.

cardo
'94 Z lowered 1" with Edlebrock headers, PCM4less tune, A4 BTO level 3, Honker CAI, TPIS TB w/bypass, stock 3.23 gears w/TA girdle cover, 250k mi. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393600...photo-gallery/. Rock in the garage is '74 vette.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardo0 View Post
Yes, each bank/side has a O2 sensor. But there where camaro's with the before and after cat O2's - though i don't recall which years.

FYI the O2's take special wire and connectors otherwise the loop resistance will change and the PCM will read an incorrect signal - close but not correct. What i'm saying is use the stock wiring harness - not off the shelf wiring for the sensors to the PCM.

Mann thats a cool project car Paul.

cardo
Using a harness that has all factory connectors, so not worried about reversing it. I have now just have to make sure I gave them on the correct side.

Thanks for the comments on the car, and it's a blast even if it isn't running well. Can't wait until spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement