New waterpump new noise - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

billch user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default New waterpump new noise

Hi just wandering if anyone can help me out with a problem

I installed new waterpump on my 94 LT1 yesterday, It sounds like something is rubbing inside of the thing. It squeaked on start up, I thought it was just the belt as it was soaked. The squeak is now intermittent, but the pump constantly has a groany sound to it.

I don't know what I could have possibly screwed up here. The pump is made in china ( asc or acs) is on the box. I put the coupler on the waterpump first, pushed it onto the seal with some grease, made sure splines went together and bolted it on, it was a little snug on dowls.

Opened bleeder filled up until coolant seaped out fired it up cracked bleeder again. engine is running at correct temp etc.

Figured someone else may have run across this.

thank you
bill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Jc803 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Mine makes those kind of noises when its not bled well but I see you have done that so I'm not sure. I'd post this in the engine tech section to get more responses.
292 Comp cam, 1.6RR, MSD 6AL2/coil/wires/Opti, BMR torque arm/LCA's, UMI subframe connectors, Weld RT-S 15x10, 325/50 Nitto, cust. intake, Pacesetter LT's/Y pipe, cutout, Magnaflow catback, solid motor mounts, cust.fuel line, and lots and lots of weight reduction.Work in progress. 100% of work done by myself.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Being that you bought a imported pump, there's a 50-50 chance of it being bad right out of the box. I'm sure the company you bought it from will give you another one, but it will have the same 50-50 chance of being bad right out of the box. For parts like water pump, opti, etc, I would go with genuine GM and pay the piper.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

andys94t/a user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

hey there
how many miles on the engine? it is possible that the gear that drives the waterpump is going bad and is causing the noise also. They do not go bad, but i have seen where the drive gear has gone bad. Did you try turning it before putting on the waterpump gear coupler? I m afraid the only way to find out if its the pump or the drive gear is to take the waterpump off and inspect both parts carefully

hth

andy schuck
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

everyone runs into it with cheap or reman pumps on all sorts of engines,

sometimes it goes away and the bearing or whatever surface is rubbing just breaks itself in

.. and sometimes it sticks around and your waterpump takes a piss all over your motor in a short amount of time

thats why people pay more for a real pump.. but hell i've had a brand new gm pump squirt after 100km

just for fun, try firing it up with the serpentine belt off and see if the sound persists?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement