machine shop question - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

wdmickjr user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default machine shop question

I found a (said 1994) LT1 on Craigslist for $1500. I was looking for 374 alum heads and saw this engine looking like brand new (rebuilt block) sitting on a engine stand. The man said he got it out of the machine shop for a guy that owed $1500 and was out of work so he got it out for some guy and held the engine for payment. I asked why he only wanted 1500 for it and he said it had been in the shop for a year and wanted his 1500 back. I took the engine home, with out pan and valve covers or intake. It is a 2 bolt with 374 heads, I think some one used the wrong cam in this install, like a SBC cam. There is no long pin on the cam snout.

Anyway there is lube grease at the journals and mains, and I have searched all over the engine and can't find a stamp no where to see if the mains have been turned. I always thought the common place was on the counter weight nearest the crank snout. I have not pulled the heads yet and guess that I have to to see what and if it was bored to. Also on the underside of the pistons I find FMA 425p.
'00 Safari SLE with '95 4bolt 355 LT1; decked .010'', hand ported 374s & intake (David Vizard tech), 1.94/1.5", farmed out EFI 24x, 2001 LS1 pcm, VooDoo 211/219*, w/1.7" rr .574"/583", 4L60e, shift kit & corvette servo, G80 GT4, 3.73:1, ported & massaged Granny's Speed Shop headers, true duals, 2 long Cherry Bombs used for resonators, 2 long Thrush Turbo mufflers, local tune under an Oak tree. 5 year project/swap.
aka fAstro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #2

justinkp user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

So if I paid $1000 for a supposedly "rebuilt" LT1, and then found out it wasn't rebuild and had 90k on it, did I get screwed? Paying $1500 for a rebuilt and me paying $1k for 90k.. hmmm
Did I get screwed (not jacking your thread)
The way I know it wasn't rebuilt is I pulled a lifter out and it has oil on the old cam and it's worn perfectly where the lifters were.
He says the motor was vatted but there is still some oil residue on the top, and rust in the water cylinders.
We all get screwed sometimes, I guess next time I'll pull a head to make sure
or the oil pan.
live and learn.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Well I don't think I got screwed I think I 'got over'. I think the heads if good are worth 1000, I may be wrong. I am going to disassemble it and use my 4 bolt LT1 block. I found those pistons 425p also fit Ford, weird huh? They are a cast piston.
Maybe the rods and crank aren't turned..good news. I need the 374 heads. It looks as if the assembly has been balanced cause the are a few dimples in the pistons from a drill and the rod cap bottoms looks like they have been freshly surfaced.
I will post pics later cause I am not at my shade tree right now.
And maybe part out in the for sale section.
The cam doesn't belong in a LT1, and I think that is why the long block was abandoned.
'00 Safari SLE with '95 4bolt 355 LT1; decked .010'', hand ported 374s & intake (David Vizard tech), 1.94/1.5", farmed out EFI 24x, 2001 LS1 pcm, VooDoo 211/219*, w/1.7" rr .574"/583", 4L60e, shift kit & corvette servo, G80 GT4, 3.73:1, ported & massaged Granny's Speed Shop headers, true duals, 2 long Cherry Bombs used for resonators, 2 long Thrush Turbo mufflers, local tune under an Oak tree. 5 year project/swap.
aka fAstro
Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

justinkp user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Wow that's great. I hope everything is true. That is very weird about the pistons. I didn't know they were interchangeable. Glws if you go that route. :-)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

I am somewhat older than most of you guys ,but I have never heard of
drilling or dimpling pistons to balance a piston /rod assembly. I have seen where metal has been removed from rod caps,but that's about all. ed
Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #6

95 Firehawk Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmickjr View Post
I think some one used the wrong cam in this install, like a SBC cam. There is no long pin on the cam snout.
The '94 aluminum headed LT1 used the short cam dowel pin. The distributor was driven by a splined shaft that mated with a splined hole in the cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmickjr View Post
Well I don't think I got screwed I think I 'got over'. I think the heads if good are worth 1000, I may be wrong.
Used aluminum heads, including the 374's can be had for $100-$300 just about anywhere. I've seen rebuilt pairs for $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racy Roadmaster View Post
I have never heard of drilling or dimpling pistons to balance a piston /rod assembly. I have seen where metal has been removed from rod caps, but that's about all. ed
When obtaining the bob weight, typically all the pistons are weighed and material is removed from the underside of the piston to bring all the piston weights down to match the weight of the lightest piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
1995 Firehawk #528 resto-mod underway

Planned 383 rebuild: 195cc competition LT4 AFR heads, custom cam grind (still debating specs), 6" or 5.85" rods, forged internals

Upgraded T56: Viper mainshaft and 2nd gear, steel 3/4 shift fork, Billet keys 1-4, bronze shifter cup, internals Cryo'd and REM'd
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

I've never heard of ford pistons being used in a sbc. Ford pistons have a different pin size, and I would imagine a different pin to top of piston height than a sbc piston would have.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

Well I guess I have been had on the heads. But, over all a fresh 2 bolt block for $1500 is not so bad. Me thinks.

I found 'net' searching 425p and somehow came up with a ford winsor piston.

Since I have searched and looked everywhere on the crank for stamps saying what it was turned to I come up with new crank or never turned. I have parts for my 4 bolt rebuild, and (me thinks) come out near even on savings.

New timing chain and sprockets.
Balanced rods.
A crank if I need it.
New pistons that fit SBC.
Alum 374 heads.
A fresh 2 bolt block.
and a brand new oil pump.

Right now it would be a good deal for a LT1 w/ 1.7rr. But I have a heavy vehicle that will tow often and I think I'll go 4 bolt.

I have had good luck parting out parts around here.
aka fAstro
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

CHEVY 350 96-01 LT1 SHORT BLOCK: High Performance Engines | ATK Custom Built Crate Engines
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #10

If I spent too much I am going to blame you.
aka fAstro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement