LS1LT1 Forum banner

Engine will not start at times / low fuel pressure?

20K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  Black1997 
#1 ·
New to this board as my usual hangout has gone very quiet.

My 97 Trans Am started to have issues where I had to crank at times up to 30 secs before it would start.

I finally bought a fuel gauge and hooked it up at the Schrader valve after I could not get it going at all and the battery was low from the cranking.

With the battery still weak I put the ignition on and it showed no pressure. Tried one more time and it went up to about 10 - 12 psi. Another try showed 0 again.

Fully charged the battery, ignition on and no pressure. Tried to start and it fired for a brief second then died.

Ignition on and about 10 psi and the engine starts, pressure goes to 33 psi on idle. Take it for a spin. Cruising pressure 33-34 psi and WOT drops to 18 psi.

Back in the garage turned it off and then ignition on with 38 psi. Leaving the gauge on to see if and how quickly the pressure drops. After two hours pressure dropped to 0. Pulled the fuel rail off and with ignition I only get about 12 psi. Pressure dropped back to 0 eventually but no signs of leaking injectors.

Based on what I've been reading, looks like my fuel pump is not performing / on the way out and should be replaced or do I need to look at something else, fuel pressure regulator?

Appreciate you help.

Rene

See less See more
#27 ·
@coco, I understand there's so many of them but not as many 96-97slps! At least in northern california! i guess the reason is because I do love this body style on the ss and I grater leave it original specially when it comes to stuff like that, just incase one day I decide to sale it and who ever wants it cries about a hole in the trunk and tries to low ball me for that (I don't have any intention of selling it)

#29 ·
Yep specially with all that I've been reading that many new pumps failed only after a couple of months. Then you have to drop it again.

Nobody will even know unless you lift out the carpet in the trunk and remove the rubber piece covering that area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.