I have been looking at cc503 cam 224/230 .502/.510 112. I want to be able to keep the stock heads and possibly in the future upgrade but not anytime soon.
Goal is between 350-400 rwhp but just likeeveryone else, i'm on a budget. I do all the labor myself and the car is put away for the winter.
So the questions are, will thiscam beenough for my goal and what would you recommend for parts on a budget..........Whats the plus side of 1.6 rr vs 1.5rr and would 1.5rr even be applicable to this application........Also what is the highest lift on stock heads? (Safely)
1. The CC503 cam will get you to about 350HP @ the wheels on a very good day.....but you'll need a set of well ported heads to get there......the stock heads won't do it. Without upgraded heads and long-tube headers but WITH
1.6 rockers and new valve-springs, I'd expect about 290HP @ the wheels.....on a good day.
2. 1.6 rockers equal more effective duration and more lift. The extra lift that cam is right at the limit of the stock heads flow capability. 1.6 rockers (particularly, roller rockers) would be good for an additional 15 - 20HP with the CC503 (my SWAG).
3. Stock heads (I'm assuming F-body aluminums) can take real close to .600" lift, but that's more lift than the stock heads will digest. Expertly ported heads will easily .650" lift and aftermarket heads will take even more.....up to .700" lift. The main limiting factor with aftermarket heads (like AFR, for instance) are the valve springs and the rockers that you use.
4. For lift approaching .650", non-self aligned rockers w/guideplates are advisable.....up towards .700" you'll want shaft-mounted rockers.
5. Parts for now......CC503 cam is around $250; 1.6 Comp Cams MAGNUM rockers around $200; Comp Cams 26918 Valve Springs around $200.
6. I wouldn't bother with a cam without doing rockers and (especially) valve springs.
Best of luck!
1995 Impala SS, Heads/Cam LS3 Conversion Underway
1996 Impala SS, 398ci Solid Roller LT4
2014 SS Sport Sedan, 429ci LS3