95 Trans Am Opti/misfire problem - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

leadinurface user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 95 Trans Am Opti/misfire problem

I have a 95 Firebird Trans Am.
about a month ago the check engine light started flashing. The only difference in running was that it lost some low end power because it was running rich, on the freeway it feels perfect though to engine light is still flashing. It starts up perfectly and idles well other than a small shake.

I dont know what has been changed on it other than the Spark plugs which i put in myself (fun job)
Pep boys said it was the opti cap and rotor and wanted to charge me 1500 to change it.
I wanted to get some advice on what you guys think it might be before i delve in to replace it myself or pay out my ass to have it done somewhere.
Also if anyone knows a good walkthrough or instructional on things i would need to do it that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alex
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Banned

thumperbass Apprentice Level Tech I

You have a 95 and the check engine light is flashing?
Thats kinda weird, It should only do that on a 96 or newer with a missfire code.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Do a google search under optispark replacement and you should find something. You tubes might also have a video of what you need. You need to get a scanner that will do code scanning and data logs. The running data logs can tell you much about your cars performance. However your 95, even though it has the 16 pin obd2 aldl, is an obd1 computer system. Because of that you need a scanner that does obd1 and obd2. They are in the $200 and up price range. Actron makes a model and most other scanner companies. Or you can buy a special cable that goes between the car's aldl and your home pc or laptop. Cable available at www.akmcables.com You will need a scanning a code retrieval program, freescan is a decent one, its free, do a search for it. Or you can go to www.tunercat.com and download the trial version of datamaster. It comes with 20 free data logs. After that its about $100 to own forever.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #4

I totally spaced out. I got it confused with my 95 z28, it is a 96 the only codes its pulling. are random misfire and bad o2 sensors all around. Sorry about to mixup and thanks for the quick replies
Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Because your car is a 96 obd2 car that renders my 1st post mostly obsolete. You have an obd2 car so you can go out and buy a scanner that is much less expensive then if you had an obd1 car. Still get one that data logs. The datamaster option is off the table also as it only does obd1. You can still buy the special cable for the connection between your car and home pc or laptop, but you will need to buy obd2 data loging software.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

z28cam70 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

find a scanner that can look at individual cylinder misfires and see if it is only one cylinder or all the 96 only has one dtc for engine misfires and it is a p0300 you might only have a bad plug wire as far as the o2 sensor codes fix the misfire first cause that could cause the o2 sensor codes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

monstertruckr81 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

sorry to chime in but i would like to know what u find out i just bought a 96 that has same prob throwing a p0300 random misfire and a secondary injection code and a no signal to o2 bank 1 sensor one ive replaced opti plugs wires and waterpump and still have misfire and runs like crap,,,, oh ya mines a 96 ws6 with 88xxx miles
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #8

I ended up getting a new opti cap and rotor and tearing it down and rebuilding it, when i got it back to gather it wouldnt start and im in the process of troubleshooting it. Basically it cranks perfect and i can hear 1 or 2 cylinders firing and it putts twice and stalls, im hoping that i did something wrong with the opti, i already put a new opti harness on and it didnt do anything though i broke the first one.
Mine is a formula with 180000 miles so i think its doing pretty good if i can get it back running.

Last edited by leadinurface; 09-09-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

Well i got it back together and running great it turns out that i had the opti on in the wrong position, (who knew) so thanks for the help. It wasnt to bad a job i have no experience and i just started tearing down and labeling, the only thing i broke was the rotted opti wiring harness and i got an AC delco one for 30$
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #10

Dave00 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinurface View Post
Well i got it back together and running great it turns out that i had the opti on in the wrong position, (who knew) so thanks for the help. It wasnt to bad a job i have no experience and i just started tearing down and labeling, the only thing i broke was the rotted opti wiring harness and i got an AC delco one for 30$
Do you mean you installed the opti wrong with the cam dowl in the wrong position on the opti?
AFR190's, Lloyd Custom Cam and some goodies!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #11

Yea i didnt even know you could do that. but it def sat more soundly when i put it in the right position.
still running great Amazing Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement