About to start a head gasket replacement - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

TransAmFever user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default About to start a head gasket replacement

I am going to be replacing my friends head gasket on his 95 Formula soon. I was just wondering what gaskets everyone would recommend. Also, do I need to get new head bolts? This is my first time tearing into an LT1, and plan on pulling the engine out from the bottom, just to give me more room. i have a write up on how to do it, just curious as to any little things I should know? So basically just looking for any info on what all needs to be done. thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

For a stock replacement gasket the 9966 will work fine (one the local part stores carry) if you you want to order them the 1074s are slightly thinner.

The head bolts are reusable if you clean them well, but new bolts are never a bad idea. Don't forget the sealant on the threads either.

Make sure you check the head to make sure its straight because a warped head pop a new gasket.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

I'd recommend new bolts (ARPs). Late 95s may have used TTY bolts (or what looks like them), which cannot be reused. Whether TTY or not, it a bit safer to use new bolts.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #4

Had planned on using new headbolts, and will probably just go with the regular gaskets. Once I get the engine out I am going to pull the heads off and take them to the machine shop for checking. then I guess go from there lol...Have always wanted to tear into an LT1, so guess this is my chance lol. thanks guys
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

Aside from a few quirks, it's about the same as an SBC.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

My Facebook
MadMikeLT1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmFever View Post
Had planned on using new headbolts, and will probably just go with the regular gaskets. Once I get the engine out I am going to pull the heads off and take them to the machine shop for checking. then I guess go from there lol...Have always wanted to tear into an LT1, so guess this is my chance lol. thanks guys
why are you taking the engine out if I may ask??
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeLT1 View Post
why are you taking the engine out if I may ask??
I am mainly taking the engine out so that i don't have to assemble the engine in the car after doing head gaskets. I have recently redone the opti and other parts and it was a PITA. I am used to the old school cars with lots of room under the hood. I am going to be dropping the cradle out from the bottom, and also cleaning the engine bay up. Will be replacing plugs and wires and don't see how you could do it in the car. lol. figured drop the engine, replace gaskets and anything else that needs it. At first I was going to pull the engine from the top, but don't feel like messing with putting headers back on in the tight spaces. i don't have concrete, but with my a-frame and chain hoist I can lift the car up and not worry about anything in my way, then roll cradle out and set car on stands.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Spelling Bee winnah!

My Facebook
xDetroitMetalx Apprentice Level Tech III

When I do mine... again... again... I'm pulling the whole motor and trans out... I should have done that the first and second time.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #9

My Facebook
MadMikeLT1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

LOL I see.. i just replaced a heater core hose.. pita.. good luck.. i did the opti and water pump and plugs.. got some from the top.. got some from the bottom.. I can see NOW why you are pulling it out...might as well do a reseal on all gaskets and manifold while its out.. rear seal too...that would be my luck.. do all that and not do rear seal.. get it in.. then it leaks...LOL
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #10

1_black_LT1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to 1_black_LT1 Send a message via Yahoo to 1_black_LT1

Ahh....piece of cake to work on.

You want hard, go buy something japanese.
They literally designed those cars for mechanics with infant-sized hands.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_black_LT1 View Post
Ahh....piece of cake to work on.

You want hard, go buy something japanese.
They literally designed those cars for mechanics with infant-sized hands.
thats about how my 95 monte carlo is to work on haha
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #12

My Facebook
twistedbowtie user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

when i did my first lt1 head gasket i did it with motor in my camaro. realy bad idea the motor is way to easy to drop todo it inside the car. everytime i replace a head gasket on a lt1 i have heads resurfaced,cleaned and pressure checked. i always use new head bolts its not worth ganbling with old bolts.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #13

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of sealant I need to use on the head bolts?

also I had a question about dropping the engine out the bottom.

I was reading up on removing the engine from the bottom, and the write up I am looking at shows it on a concrete floor with a metal cart to set the cradle on. i will be doing this in my back yard with an a-frame and chain hoist, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to do this.

I am going by this write up

Engine Removal

any ideas/suggestions are appreciated...thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #14

Permatex high temp thread sealant on the head bolts.

You can leave the wheels on and use something under the trans to roll it out. No need to build anything, but you will have to use some blocks of wood between the shocks and exhaust manifolds to keep the shocks/springs from flopping around.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #15

jethrobodean user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I agree that you need something to set the cradle on to roll it around. I would build something out of 2x4's with some old caster wheels. You want it high enough that the A-arms and wheels hang out. I tired to do it with the wheels on and roll it but it was to much of a B*tch to get it to realinged back under the car. Coming out, you dont need a cradle, just pull it out. Brake lines to the front wheels are lil trouble.. Otherwise your thinking right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement