oxygen sensor wiring - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

jcon104 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default oxygen sensor wiring

ok so heres the deal. I recently picked up a 97 LT1 it gave me to codes which were 0100 which is the MAF and 1657 Which is the skip shift solenoid. I eliminated those as the cause for the CEL light after doing some research. I found that the o2 sensors as well as the maf and skip shift were all on the same fuse. I pulled the fuse it was blown woohoo easy fix.....nope. i put the new one and it instantly blew. the car has hooker longtube headers on the driver side header there is an o2 sensor which the wire has been cut for whatever reason. Now im in a hunt for the other side of the wire which is causing a short and blowing the fuse. does anyone have a pic of what the wire looks like or an idea of where it could be located. The CEL light really irritates me and even more so now that i know the problem but just cant find the solution.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #2

scottst76 Apprentice Level Tech I

heres an add on question along the same lines....

does anyone know what wire's to hook up where and how tell them apart on universal O2's....they have 2 black wires and 2 white wires....wires from the car are colored...so which is which and whats what????? Bosch or ngks don't come with wire diagram

95Z M6 T-Top-CAI, single cherry bomb at the Y-pipe dumped under passenger seat, cat delete, TB bypass, 160 thermostat, manual fan switch, LS7 lifters, 1.6RR's, CCV mod, Relocated IAT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

My Facebook
Voradeaur user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

There is a reason everyone highly recommends buying AC Delco O2's.. and thats the reason why...

As far as the OP's question.. they possibly go to the rear o2's.. its a good bet that the previous owner cut the connector instead of letting it dangle like i do lol
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #4

i should have been more specfic on my driver side header i can see the o2 sensor on it. If i follow the wire it just comes to end it isnt connceted to anything . I can put pics up if it will help im just so lost finding the problem. I relazed the eng sens fuse was blown so i repolaced and upon starting the car it just keeps poping the fuse i either have a short somewhere im assuming the other end of the cut wire or a bad ground somewhere. Im almost to the point of just unplugging the maf o2 sensors skip shift and reverse lock out solenoid and plug them in one by one to see if i can find the what is causing it to blow
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #5

scottst76 Apprentice Level Tech I

you should first start by chasing your disconnected or broken wires...your drivers side O2 sensor pigtail should be hanging just above your oil filter(if it's there) the passenger side pigtail should be attached to and hanging from the fenderwell just above your starter.... http://shbox.com/1/ho2.jpg

there is a world of info on this site http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
wire schematics, parts locations, how too's

95Z M6 T-Top-CAI, single cherry bomb at the Y-pipe dumped under passenger seat, cat delete, TB bypass, 160 thermostat, manual fan switch, LS7 lifters, 1.6RR's, CCV mod, Relocated IAT
Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

this is what i got for a pic of the 02 sensor and 2 other plugs i found i havent had time to put the car in the air yet to look aroundAttachment 4487

Attachment 4488

Last edited by jcon104; 07-20-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

My Facebook

those two with molex connectors on them are for the AIR system (and the other one is an extra that even I dont have a clue about.. lol its hanging freely on my car too)

The two wires that are ripped out... i havnt a clue... is your oil pan sensor connected?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #8

is the wire that is ripped is attached to the o2 sensor on the header. im just trying to find where the other side of it might possibly be. I feel that it is shorting out and making my eng sen fuse pop and then i get that nasty check engine light. The car runs great doesnt hesitate or misfire. I just need to get rid of the check engine so i can get it inspected and its causing me a great headache
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #9

My Facebook

if its a bare wire.... and it doesnt go anywhere... clip it and tape it up.. obviously if you have bare wiring hitting something it will blow your fuse... the two molex connectors are fine as they are.. i leave mine dangling too.. they are out of the way
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

My Facebook

and if its to an o2 sensor.. climb your ass under the car and look.. lol those arnt factory colors on the harness.. someone added those wires.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #11

im not worried about the other 2 plugs. i understand what your saying by tape it up and its good i just can find the other end of the wire to tape up
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #12

lol i plan on going under the car just havent had time lately
Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #13

My Facebook

If what your holding is attached to the header... it looks to be a egr cap.. nothing is that close to a primary on our cars.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #14

gotcha. so that may have nothing to do with my short somewhere i def have to get under the car and inspecte the wiring around the o2 sensors i know the rears have those o2 delete plugs is there a chance that one of them could have shorted out?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #15

My Facebook

That includes the o2 sensor. It wont be right on the top of the header like that one is. It looks like you just need to take time out of your day and go looky looin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement