how hard is it to change my fuel pump - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #1

transamguy7 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to transamguy7
Question how hard is it to change my fuel pump

i have a 95 T/A and the fuel pump recently gave out. i was trying to find out the best way to put a new fuel pump in it cause everyone knows its a bitch trying to replace a fuel pump in F-bodies. and also what how long do you think it would take a mechanic to preform this job?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 12:06 AM   #2

davesLT1 Apprentice Level Tech III

Although i've never done it i've read that the easiest way is to cut a hole through the interior directly above the tank, so you can access the pump from above. Otherwise you got to drop the tank!! At a shop probally in the ballpark of 3 to up to maybe 6 hours labor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Founder

My Facebook
Chris 96 WS6 Apprentice Level Tech III

Please don't cut up your car. I hate that approach. I know its easier but its not like you'll be swapping pumps all the time. Its actually not a hard job to drop the axle, exhaust and then tank and do it the right way. You will need 1 friend to help though.

- TNfbody.com -- Founding Member
Old 07-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #4

davesLT1 Apprentice Level Tech III

Let me clairify my post. I'was not telling you to cut up your car, i was just stating what i've read. I would never reccomend to hack up your car... I was just telling you one of the easier ways to do it. Like i said in this post, it was just stating what i've read on this as to be the easiest way. I should've reread the original post to see he asked the best way to do this not, the easiest. Sorry for the bad recomendation!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

Black93Z Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Black93Z Send a message via MSN to Black93Z Send a message via Yahoo to Black93Z

ok the best way is to drop the tank, however the easiest way is to cut a hole in the floorboard, which im not proud i did but i had no choice didnt have a place time, or spare vehicle to be able to spare the time to drop the tank, but ive cut the hole in the floor and the hardest part is getting one of the two feed/return lines disconnected. if you need some more info cuz youve decided to do it that way then i can help you, i did it like 3 weeks ago, or around there.
Sex is like math: you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you dont multiply!
Old 07-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #6

'97z28m6 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to '97z28m6

I did it the right way, probley the most annoying thing for me was actually dropping the tank becauase my filler neck just wouldn't let it go, i ended up have to bend it a lot more then i prefered to. but it came out. also getting the case open that the fuel pump is in was a PITA but thats the same regardless of cutting a hole inside the car of dropping the tank. one thing i messed up though is the little thing that senses the gas level so now my gas guage constantly reads empty. i haven't had time to fix it since i replaced my pump. don't really feel like dropping the whole tank again...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Administrator

03slowZ06 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via Yahoo to 03slowZ06

how about replaceing it with an inline and never having to deal with the tank again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement