1994 lt1 caprice o2 sensor - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

monsterjam5000 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 1994 lt1 caprice o2 sensor

How many o2 sensors does a 1994 caprice lt1 have? I can only find one but my 1994 camaro lt1 has two.

Where are they located
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

LT Scholz Apprentice Level Tech I

There are two oxygen sensors, one per hookup pipe on 95' and older Caprice's. The 1996 caprices had two oxygen sensors one located before the cat and one located behind the cat. The Oxygen sensors for your car should be located before the catalytic converters but behind the exhaust manifolds. The O2 sensors are on the inlet on the hookup pipes. They are really tucked in there. The drivers side plug is easy to access but accessing the passenger side plug is a nightmare due to the AC lines. I suggest that you climb under your car and pull the 02's from there just like if you were doing the spark plugs.

I heard somewhere that Camaro's were testing into OBD2 territory before 1996 which would explain the two O2's per bank.

Sprite and Banana Challenge: Succeeded on 10/13/12

Last edited by LT Scholz; 03-11-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #3

Hen you say one per hookup pipe, is the where the manifold and exhaust pipes meet?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #4

Yes for the most part. The hook up pipe is the intermediate pipe in between the exhaust pipes and the manifold. Th hook-up pipe holds the catalytic converter in it's center.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #5

i can only find one o2 sensor, its in the pass side manifold.

is there any way that thsi can only had one?

would it run with only one?

where would i spice into to add another o2 sensor.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

PM sent

Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #7

if there is only one o2 sensor, wont it run very rich? because its only getting half the o2 readings?

the y pipe and exhaust is not stock, and i think the drivers side o2 sensor was never installed.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

The drivers side O2 has to have been installed. Climb under the car and look opposite the oil pan. It should be within plain sight.

The Y-pipe setup is making me think that this is not a 5.7 liter LT1 but a 4.3 Liter L99 engine. If so you may have been duped. People make claims that L99 caprices are LT1 Caprices, but because the engines look externally exactly the same, few people can tell the difference. The general rule of thumb is:

ONE exhaust pipe= 4.3 L99

TWO exhaust pipes=5.7 LT1

All stock Caprice Classic LS sedans are L99's
All wagon's are LT1's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement