Urgent why does my serpentine belt keep breaking - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #1

lt1camaro94 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default why does my serpentine belt keep breaking

why does my serpentine belt keep breaking?? so about a week ago i was driving my car to the store and on the way there out of nowhere my power steering goes out and i get a check gauges light on cuz the batterie is low so i just stopped, went back home and saw that the belt was missing so i just went to auto zone, bought another belt and everything was fine so now i was on my way home and the belt broke off again. i have no idea how this could've happen, like theres nothing near the pullies that could rub against it or cause it to break, all i noticed was that the a/c compresser had parts of the belt wrapped around it. anybody know what could've caused this??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #2

lt1beaster user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

well get a new belt wear some safety glasses, start the car and open the hood and see if the belt shakes or squells in anyway. plus if you rod the car around that can do it to.

[B]95 camaro z28
04 hummer h2
94 buick roadmaster 5.7l Lt1

Shbox.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

lt1396corvette user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Does the belt go on tight.It could be your belt tensioner pully.may need to get replaced.
LT4 396 STROKER 11:1,AFR 210CC HEADS,COMP CAMS SOLID ROLLER CAM 258-268 .681-.688,DANA 44 3:73,MELROSE EXHAUST
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #4

well yea the belt is on tight, so i doubt its the belt tensioner pulley. and lt1beaster what do you mean by rodding the car around??
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #5

Wide open throttle alot. it possibly could be vibrating cause it to come off just a bit and start to rip and tear till it completely tears apart its happend to me more then once

[B]95 camaro z28
04 hummer h2

Shbox.com
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #6

yea i kinda do that a lot but i dont get why it just now started to break them like that, i mean i broke 2 belts in a week. if it is the open throttle then how do i stop that from happening??
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #7

z28cam70 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

check the ac compressor pulley it maybe seizing up and also check all your other pulleys for any side to side movement
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #8

z28cam70 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

btw could also be from the harmonic balancer wobbling
Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #9

i went throu 3 belts and all of a sudden it stopped so i really didn't get to diagnos the problem

[B]95 camaro z28
04 hummer h2

Shbox.com
Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech I

When you put another belt on check all the pulleys for the correct alignment. When I first got my 90 camaro dd, the power steering pump pulley was about 1/8 of an inch off, so it would eat belts regularly.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

I would try spinning all of the pulleys by hand with the belt off besides the crank. It sounds like the ac compressor is the issue though, its probably on its way out or the clutch is somehow causing an issue when it engages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #12

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Either the belt is mis-aligned, or one of the pulleys is causing excess drag. If the belt is coming off and you never see the evidence of it being shredded, then the tensioner may be too loose.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #13

Ian97 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

This happened to me on my 94 vet several years back, I probably had about 200 miles in my new belt, turned a corner and it broke....pulled into the parking lot, put my old one back on and drove it til I sold it....never did find out what the problem was and it never happened again....no bad alternator, ac or anything else....

-Ian

1997 Firebird Firehawk LT4
#27 of 29
Pacesetter LT's, cat delete, Hooker exhaust
330rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement