exploded view of an optispark... - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #1

brucer Apprentice Level Tech I
Default exploded view of an optispark...

i'm looking for a exploded diagram of an optispark, not an exploded optispark

looked on shoebox's site didnt seem to find one.. might have been looking in the wrong place..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #2

lt1 rice eater! user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

hold on i think i can find a pic of the gutts.............
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

never mind im on GMs mechanics website and it just tells me to replace it ang gives me gms price! and thats the only diagram,but that is just removal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #4

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Does this help?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...optispark.html
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #5

better than mine
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
your the man shoe, thank you..

ok heres what i thought of, alot of people have problems with the opti, and some have had problems come up with the oilpump drive...

has anyone mounted the slotted disk and the optical eye on a distributor base? that would give your signal to the ltcc/pcm/ and also allow one to run a distributor base, that would allow one to run whatever oilpump you want with no problems.. it would be more practical on a complete engine overhaul and someone wanting to run a victor junior intake... you would have to mount the slotted disk, and then get the vertical spacing worked out and machined and drill and tap mounting holes for the optical eye... it wouldnt be easy but i think it could be done.. i dont think you would have to worry about getting th eslotted disk phased (in time) as all it could ever be out would be 1 degree..

you would have to use an ltcc conversion, plug the optispark seal hole in the timing cover.. use an intake with the distributor hole (say a vic jr.) and make a cover for the distributor (basicly a cover to replace the distributor cap)..

using pic for reference of the slotted disk and the optical eye,aka fancy mallory unilite
it would basicly be one of the dynaspark distributors flipped up horizontal and mounted on a distributor base..

Last edited by brucer; 09-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #7

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

I don't remember where, but I saw what amounted to an opti attached to the top of a rear mounted distributor. Funny looking, but worked.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #8

i'm not real familar with the ltcc, i'm guessing it does away with the icm and coil also?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #9

sounds plausable will it eliminate the coil? and can ya find pics or instructions i wanna see how exactly its done "may come in usefull"
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

ok found something..

also found this a thread in the retrofit section of the forum.. a man retrofitted a gen 1 sbc in a lt car. he used the lt1 computer and fuel injection, the ltcc conversion and he modified a distributor base almost exactly of what i was thinking... wonder what distributor base he used... this is completely doable, almost certain of it.... if i had an ltcc or could afford an ltcc i would do this on the engine i'm possibly going to build..

this setup would eliminate the opti,and fix the oilpump drive issue, thinking it would eliminate the coil and icm. (think ltcc does that)..

someone could say why not convert to the eficonnection setup.. well, we have the ability to tune for free, and you have to pay out the rear for ls1 computer tuning capabilities..

after looking at the pic below, looks like he might have mounted a complete optispark base on a distributor shaft.. cant believe more havent done this or attempted it. this would make an lt1 pretty much bulletproof as far as the ignition system and oilpump drive go..

for someone building a a nice 355 or something and wanting to use the victor jr setup i think i would go this route for simply the free tuning options, i would be able to do it because of being a machinist i could do the work to the distributor for free pretty much..

added this: after some more thinking it wouldnt suprise me if some gen1 efi conversion kit wouldnt have a distributor that would drop in and be plug and play nearly...

another pic of the gen1 sbc he converted in the car with the ltcc on it..

Last edited by brucer; 09-05-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #11

things that make you go hmmmmm.. pretty sure a vortec distributor would work...

pic is of an eficonnections 24x vortec distributor with sealed cap....

heres a shot of the vortec distributor,the cap and rotor button.... i almost bet if you take a vortec distributor it would drop in and you would plug your optiharness to it and it would work, plugs might be different might have to splice a couple wires because of the plugs being different, but you get what i'm pointing at..... at that point you might just be able to use the victor jr. gen1 sbc intake, and vortec distributor for 89.95... i'm not familar with the vortec stuff, you might even be able to simply bolt on a vortec intake thats been modified for the reverse cooling, one of the elbows that everyone uses on the victor jr, and use your lt1 throttle body and also a vortec timing cover.....

vortec cap looks very similar to a opti cap

Last edited by brucer; 09-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #12

the more i look at the vortec distributor and the optispark i bet it will work.... now i'm lookiong at this saying the lt1 isnt such of a mix breed as some think...

might be some copyright infringement going on somewhere, not going to mention any names though...

Last edited by brucer; 09-05-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #13

i really need someone with knowlege in the vortec engines and lt1 engines and see if this is viable.. i might be hitting on some stuff that other people have done or whatever.. but this is basicly using gm parts that i think would be simple boltons, the only thing would be the modified intake setup...

obd1
vortec 305/350 Distributor,has camshaft sensor in it..
seal up the hole through your timing cover for the optispark or use a vortec timing cover..
94/95 ignition control module
94/95 coil..

obd2
vortec 305/350 Distributor,has camshaft sensor in it..
seal up the hole through your timing cover for the optispark, or a vortech timing cover..
vortec ignition control module or stock icm
vortec coil or stock coil
stock crank postion sensor or vortech crank position sensor..

i'm thinking the optispark plug harness will plug directly into the vortec distributor, if not maybe remove the opti harness and use the plug the opti harness connects to.

you would have to use your 94/95 coils, and icm if your going obd1, and your 96-97 coil and icm if obd2 the vortec coils would probably work because the vortec engine is was obd2...i'm not sure as i'm not familiar enough with the vortec and lt1 ignition components, havent had my car long enough yet, but this seems logical...

from what i have found the vortec distributor produces a 1x signal.

Last edited by brucer; 09-06-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #14

possible ls1 pcm swap
12200411 PCM (LS1 pcm)
Wiring Harness for 12200411 (must follow Vortec L31 schematics) basicly swapping 2/3 injectors 4/7 injectors because the firing order is different for the ls1... harness from a 2001-2002 express van with a 5.7 vortec, this van uses the ls1 pcm to my understanding
modified intake, efi victor jr is popular, and an elbow..
vortec distributor, minus the rotor , plug the plug wire holes or use efi connections distributor cover if they still sell it..
Vortec 305/350 Timing Cover
Vortec Timing Reluctor Ring
Vortec Crank Position Sensor
would also guess you would need a knock sensor or 2 to work with the ls1 computer, probably a part number for the van.

Last edited by brucer; 09-06-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #15

bradw18 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

damn youve been doing your home work we should get together and try to build this. i have a spare set of ls1 coils.

1991 s10 back under the knife.

RIP
2003 sport trac
lt1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement