Building an 8000 rpm LT1 - Page 3 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #31

Edward-T user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

thanks bro, i would think it will need a small bore as it has 146,ooo or so on it so it will need a little cleaning up im sure... and also i am no fast and furiouse driver..lol, but it is fun to hang the ass end out there and hear it wind up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #32

My Facebook
MIZ28 Apprentice Level Tech I

It might not need a bore. I tore my motor apart with 190,000 and there was no ridge in it at all, well it was .0005, gotta love gm light tension rings, at least they were good for something.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #33

thats great, i am not sure what the iron head motor looks like yet,i hope its clean in there, my car is the one with the high miles, that motor will go in the garage and be built at a later date, money money money...lol
Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #34
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward-T View Post
yea i know! a bunch of us down here like to go out at night and do some drifting at this abandoned factory down the road, just want a stout bottom end that wont fly apart, my car is not where it needs to be yet but it drifts fairly good, need more suspension and a stroger motor, possibly a better rear end as the 10 bolts are not that strong, but for now it is holding, so a 355 or a 396 or a stock bore with forged internals?? i am open to suggestions!

dude you aren't whippin around a vtec honda. get some low end torque and really let the rear loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #35

oh yea i know, trust me i hang it out, its mostly imports there, and a few stangs, me an a buddy (96 SS) go down and beat on them on occasion, lol!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #36

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowAss94LT1 View Post
edit: (google is my friend)
"When we say that something "bears repeating" we are saying that it is important enough to say (or write) again, in the hope that the statement is understood by the audience. This would usually not be used in good quality formal writing"

KW
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #37

aboatguy user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK WS6 View Post
The LT1 tables actually max out at 7000 rpm...but maybe with stock tach or shift extensions it appears more.
Are you sure about the 7K limit
My 355 uses the stock PCM with ED Wright tune and according to my datalogs it regulary spins above 7K rpm....

Maybe my datalogs are wrong?

As for the OP 7K shortblock is easy as for 8K I'd use a totally forged rotating assembly.....shortblock assembled and balanced by a (GOOD MACHINIST) and it won't be cheap....7K shortblock stock crank, forged rods and pistons....and once again balanced and assembled by a Good machinist will provide a reliable base for your engine.

However, the limiting factor of your build is going to be valve train....

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.......choose two....

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 05-15-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #38
CKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
Are you sure about the 7K limit
My 355 uses the stock PCM with ED Wright tune and according to my datalogs it regulary spins above 7K rpm....

Maybe my datalogs are wrong?

What datalogging software are you using? I know Datamaster stops logging at ~6375 but the RPM line keeps going but doesn't tell you what it is.

Every LT1 OBDI PCM i've tinkered with the values stop at 7050. I've heard that OBDII can squeak past 7050.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #39

aboatguy user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread.... If you're using data master selecting RPM16 will show RPM above 6375

Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #40

audiorailroad user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

only 2.7 years too late......................
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #41

Gamikatsu user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Zombie thread....... Grnnnnnnndddd brains.....

02 Trans Am Firehawk #153
Arctic white on black leather
LS1 A4

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy
You have a automatic, a dyno will only hurt feelings.
Go race your car
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #42

Fox Slaughter user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fox Slaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowAss94LT1 View Post
The first thing that came to mind was the rpm restriction with a stock lt1 computer. The max you can have it tuned to is 7200-7250rpm. You're only choice would be a full stand alone engine mangement system. $$$$$
Megasquirt.
300 bucks. Full stand alone fuel/spark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement