Oil Pressure Pegged at over 80 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

MissLindsey user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Oil Pressure Pegged at over 80

I just rebuilt my motor and now the oil pressure gauge is pegged at over 80. Tried grounding it out and it still stayed at 80. The one wire leading to the sending unit is still intact. Is it the gauge or the sending unit, and if its the gauge, how do I go about fixing that?

1995 Trans Am Supercharged

Fastest Et with 50 shot: 12.28 @ 109 mph
W/O NOS: 13.42 @ 101 mph
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #2

camaroz28383 Apprentice Level Tech I

when you turn the car off does the gauge stay at 80?

if you unplug the sender whats it do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #3

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz28383 View Post
if you unplug the sender whats it do?
That would cause the gauge to peg. That may be what is wrong (open circuit to sensor).
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #4

4Mesh Apprentice Level Tech I

If you just rebuilt the motor that's normal. Be happy to have oil pressure.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

camaroz28383 Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Mesh View Post
If you just rebuilt the motor that's normal. Be happy to have oil pressure.
no thats not normal unless you built it to have that much pressure it should be readable on the factory gauge
Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #6

When I turn the car off, it goes down a little bit and reads somwhere around 80, instead of reading somehwhere in the 100's. When I unplug the sender, it still reads past 80.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #7

My Facebook
BLK95TA user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

IIRC when the Oil pressure sensor is unplugged, the gauge pegs. make sure the sensor is plugged in. on a 95 its behind the Intake manifold on the drivers side.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replica's, Ram Air box and hood, 3.42 gears
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz28383 View Post
no thats not normal unless you built it to have that much pressure it should be readable on the factory gauge
I'm not going to say his gauge is working properly, but what is shows is absolutely normal.

I purchased my car as a pre-order brand new in 93. This is EXACTLY what the gauge worked like since new. I've replaced the sending unit in the car two times in the years I've owned it. All of them were consistent. I just rebuilt my motor after my injectors leaked gasoline in to the oil and took out the bearings. After that, My injectors STILL leaked fuen in and my oil pressure is NOT as good as it was a month ago when I finished the rebuild. Ok, I can tell you that my gauge is NOT accurate, but it does tell the story.

This Post http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showpost...76&postcount=6 shows a photo of MY Dash just a couple days ago after I changed my oil again and go the pressure back up where it should be. When the engine was freshly rebuilt and the oil was clean, it NEVER went more than one needle width below the 80 line, no matter how hot. It ran up to the stock high temp of like 230F, but since I had a new tune set the fans on lower. I don't know what temp they come on at but I think around 185. Whatever. My scan tool tells me the real temp and that's what I use if I really care.

Long story long... his oil pressure reading at 80 and pinned is not abnormal. My gas in the oil lowered mine and that is a fact. My motor with now 1000 miles on it has way less pressure than it did because of it and I know I've used up a lot of engine life with that mistake. I'll be tearing it back down for new bearings sooner than later.

With engine temp at 185F and 5W30 motor oil in the car, idling at 800 RPM's this is what mine looks like. And it was better than this when brand new, and with the new rebuild. If this is not normal, I don't know what to tell you folks.

When I start the engine cold, the needle is buried, way above the 80 line.

Last edited by 4Mesh; 03-11-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #9

2fast4u88 Apprentice Level Tech II

If you have the wrong sensor or it is unplugged it will peg. Not sure if you ground it out what will happen.

1995 T/A M6: -Tops,390 Eagle Forged Fully Built Stroker,Procharged at 12lb'z(Currently Down)
1995 T/A M6:Hard Top, Stock cube, cc502 w/1.6's, Ls7 Lifters, Summit Pushrods/Guide Plates, 10.734:1, P&P Heads, Arp H/B's, P&p Intake, 30lber's, No Emissions, Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake, Longtubes & Ory, Pro 5.0, 3pt connectors, Lowered 1.5in, 2.5 Cowl hood, ws6 wheels & Tune by Solomon
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #10

PA94Z Apprentice Level Tech I

4mesh have you ever hooked up a mechanical gauge to see what it says? the dash gauge is electro magnetic, so any variation in resistance will change the reading on the dash. im not saying your gauge is wrong, but a lot of the time the dash gauge isnt accurate. at the same time it can still read variations in pressure. my dash gauge reads anywhere from 15-35 psi but my autometer reads up to 65 psi at wot and 25 psi at hot idle.
Best ET 10.87 @ 123.66 - 1.49 60 ft - +1600 DA
Under the knife again... LE Victor EFI, Holley Dominator ECU, 13.5:1, E85, Custom SR

Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #11

I KNOW the gauge is not correct, I'm simply saying it's normal. Now, for you guys with sending units up top, this is absolutely not normal, but Mine and the OP's are not upstairs, they're down by the filter.

My real oil pressure WAS 65psi. That's where the ball relief in the Melling pump blows off. So, that was understandable. Now, after running more gas through my oil and bearings, it's not as high, but it's still ok.

When my gauge reads pinned, that's 65psi. A person could calibrate the gauge if they wanted using a potentiometer to set the thing, then read what it was and add that resistor value to the sending unit properly. I don't care what it is, as long as there is some!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for the help. I just got around to it and i replaced the wire and it started working fine. Now I finally get to drive her again after 10 months!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #13

JEFFS Z28 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

what wire did u chang mine is doing the same thing???
Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

allways on a new engine read your oil pressure with mecanical gauges, since you can crimp or the sensor could be working off from where your oil pressure is

when it pegs usually happens when you broke the sensor, when you did not plug it all the way in, or its not even conected
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement