Can't get my sparkplug to thread..HELP!! - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

My Facebook
ls14life user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Exclamation Can't get my sparkplug to thread..HELP!!

I have a 1997 trans am lt1 (alum heads) my num 5 spark plug doesnt wanna seem to get started on the threads. i just did a full head job on the car and havent drove it in prolly three months.. I NEED It back asap. could i just get a tap and start the threads on the first few or what. btw its not comfortable to get to...thanx guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

4Mesh Apprentice Level Tech I

"Full Head Job" should have included cleaning up the threads while it was out and readily accessible.

I'd use a chase, not a tap, at least at first. Most auto parts stores will have them. Also, I'd get a mirror down in there and see what's going on. If you have access to a borescope, that would be better.

If you tried forcing it even slightly with a wrench, you could have crossthreaded the plug and getting that straightened out with the manifold on is gonna be a real pita.

if you have access to a lathe, I'd take a plug, turn the first few threads off real close to the minor diameter, use that new diameter as a pilot in the hole, and then start over. You'd also have to manually remove one thread then to first make sure it would start in a new hole with no troubles. The lathe will roll back one thread and of course that won't work. You might have to tap a dummy piece of aluminum or something to test with before going into the head.

With no hope of fixing it on the car if the tap starts cooked, I'd be skeptical about trying to reform threads that way. What might work, though I've never tried this, would be a rollform tap. At least it won't remove material. They're not intended for deep holes, and not intended for hand use, but it might be good enough to get you started, which is all you want.

Anti-Sieze paste should go on these things all the time anyhow. Never assemble aluminum parts without it. I just rebuilt my engine and every single hole was chased and pasted. Every one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #3

My Facebook

wow man thanx for the input im sure i can get im at school now on my way home im gonna see if i can get a chase. thanx again
Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #4

My Facebook
chrys95 Apprentice Level Tech I

if you havent added antifreeze to your car since you put the heads back on i would just pull the one off that needs attention. much safer and easier to see whats going on. i know it can be a pain, but it better than screwing something up because you cant see...

96 Formula M6- Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Flowmaster exhaust, cc500, AIR/EGR!, 4.10's, Z06 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
i crouched down and she laid down between my legs rolled over onto her back and just stared at me.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #5

My Facebook

i used a sparkplug chase and it did the job for me. thanx guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement