water in my motor!!!!!!!!!!! - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

blk01ws6 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default water in my motor!!!!!!!!!!!

well someone just came to look at the car and the first thing he did was pull the oil cap off and there was tons of white goop on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. so that meens there is water in the engine wright? it never happened before! i had the intake off a lil bit ago could it be the intake gasket leaking water into the engine? is that possible. PLEASE HELP i was gonna have the car sold and then this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Intake is dry, so no leakage there.

I would drain your oil and see if it all is sludge first.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

XtremeOracing Apprentice Level Tech I

Most probably blown headgasket ... sucks!

1997 Z28 M6
Do | You | Want | Some | Slaw | ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Nickv96 has never heard

blk01ws6 Where are you located?

I'm from Minnesota and around this time of year if you run your car alot without actually driving it say 10 or more miles and shut it down before it actually warms up to operating temperature I have seen white sludge build up in my oil cap, not on my camaro cause I don't drive it in the winter but my SBC in my S10 does it and I don't have a blown head gasket. Also my 1987 Toyota 4 runner does this as well and it doesn't have a blown head gasket.

It's simply just condensation that never works its way out the PCV sytem.

Now if its all over and in your oil I'd say blown headgasket all the way.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

Could have gotten wet a lot of ways, but if its got the milkshake like substance in it chances are its a head gasket. You could always try draining and refilling and seeing if it will come back again, just keep a close eye on you oil pressure gauge.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

im in Stockton California

i havnt touched the car yet, i got too pissed off im gonna drain the oil in the morning to see what it looks like......

i dont get it, i did a compression check about a month ago and and all the cylinders were between 178-180, they were all surprising close together. and since i did the compression check i havnt driven the car but maybe 10 blocks. i did start it for like ten minutes a day and then shut it off, so maybe something happened then....... also i smelled the oil dipstick and it reeks of fuel....... so fuel in the oil and white puss like stuff on the oil cap (and a lot off it). oh and the puss like stuff also smelled like fuel........
Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
95Z
Admin

Tune could have been way off and washed the cylinders down, but I doubt it with that little cam.

I'd try changing the oil first before going to the "oh crap" scenario. If the car was sitting that long it could have just been moisture build up, 10 mins isn't long enough to get the car all the way up to temp.

Yep its slow.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Z View Post
Tune could have been way off and washed the cylinders down, but I doubt it with that little cam.

I'd try changing the oil first before going to the "oh crap" scenario. If the car was sitting that long it could have just been moisture build up, 10 mins isn't long enough to get the car all the way up to temp.

i'll change the oil in the morning, how much driving or idling before that white goop stuff would start to appear on the cap again? guesstimation of course .............

ShowNoMercy when u said " intake is dry so no leakage there" that meant no coolant could get into the motor through the intake wright? just wanna clarify.....

the oil pressure is really high, almost pegged on start up (maybe 75psi) and the needle sits a little over halfway after the car is at operating temp. i was thinking high pressure was good?? is it?

ive noticed to get the car to operating temp it can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes even if its like 75-80* outside, is that normal?

thanks

Last edited by blk01ws6; 12-01-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #9

2fast4u88 Apprentice Level Tech II

Well the intake is dry. No coolant runs in it. That is what the steam pipe is for. If it doesn't overheat it doesn't have a blown head gasket more than likely. If it doesn't smoke white I doubt it is anything with a head gasket but could be. As that is the sign of a blown head gasket. Pull the driver side valve cover off and see what it looks like inside.

That goop can come from a motor drawing moisture. Heat drys up water. So with some heat if it isn't a gasket it should go away.

1995 T/A M6: -Tops,390 Eagle Forged Fully Built Stroker,Procharged at 12lb'z(Currently Down)
1995 T/A M6:Hard Top, Stock cube, cc502 w/1.6's, Ls7 Lifters, Summit Pushrods/Guide Plates, 10.734:1, P&P Heads, Arp H/B's, P&p Intake, 30lber's, No Emissions, Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake, Longtubes & Ory, Pro 5.0, 3pt connectors, Lowered 1.5in, 2.5 Cowl hood, ws6 wheels & Tune by Solomon
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #10

there is a little white smoke on start up but none after about ten to twenty seconds.........

i seafoamed it through the brake booster this morning so i wonder if that is where the fuel smell in the oil came from......idk...... i'll change the oil and drive it a bit and go from there.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #11

2fast4u88 Apprentice Level Tech II

That would be steam. I started up the car I just put together. After setting about a 3 hours in a heated body shop. And my y-pipe leaks pretty bad as I is rigged at the moment. But I got a puddle under the car pretty big from it dripping water out. But I don't have a leak though. It was just moisture built up.

The seafoam could have made its way around the rings and in the oil. When I seafoam a car. I do the motor first then drive around. Then do the oil. Because it breaks down oil. Which the way I see it you should change the oil after doing the motor as it will get past the rings.

1995 T/A M6: -Tops,390 Eagle Forged Fully Built Stroker,Procharged at 12lb'z(Currently Down)
1995 T/A M6:Hard Top, Stock cube, cc502 w/1.6's, Ls7 Lifters, Summit Pushrods/Guide Plates, 10.734:1, P&P Heads, Arp H/B's, P&p Intake, 30lber's, No Emissions, Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake, Longtubes & Ory, Pro 5.0, 3pt connectors, Lowered 1.5in, 2.5 Cowl hood, ws6 wheels & Tune by Solomon
Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #12

i just changed the oil and it looked ok, shinny gold. no white residue or milky look to it. but after i put in the new oil i started the car for like ten seconds and shut it off when i checked the oil again and the oil on the dipstick had a ton of tiny bubbles in it. does that meen anything? i never noticed it do that before..........

i took the oil filler neck off and stuck my fingers inside and rubbed around on the valve covers to see if there was any puss stuff on inside but there was none, it felt clean? so i dont know wat to think.....

also the oil pressure is really high, almost pegged on startup (maybe 75-78psi) is that good/bad?

Last edited by blk01ws6; 12-01-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Nickv96 has never heard

I still say its just some condensation thats building up and not completely getting moved out of the system because if you ran the car for only ten minutes at a time thats no where near enough time to get all the condesation out of it.

Just drive it for a half an hour let it cool all the way down and then see if it does it again.

The oil pressure is normal and these cars are known for inaccurate gauges anyhow.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
95Z
Admin

That oil pressure could be good or bad (more toward good though) because we don't know the specs on your engine. If its got a hv pump with high pressure spring in it and tight bearing clearances that could be low pressure (doubt it though).

I also just think it was condensation.

Yep its slow.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #15

i posted a thread in the lounge "finally getting the car tuned" and some of the stuff i posted in there i thought might be relevant here. im really excited about getting it tuned but........ i just took the car out for a drive and i dont see a tune fixing everything thats wrong with the cars driving. the car has a very long hesitation when you give it gas, it takes a few seconds to react, then when it does, it doesnt even take off as much/fast as it should for the amount of gas its getting. when its in nuetral or park it seems to idle smoother than in drive or reverse, when you switch it out of park/nuetral to drive or reverse it bogs like its wants to dies, then it slowly comes back up to normal idle (faster if you rev it a lil) the wierd thing is it doesnt do the bogging thing at all when it first starts up (when the engines cold). it only does it when the car (engine) is warmed up. when the cars cold it switches between gear fine...... oh yeah and the oil pressure drops really low when the car does its bogging thing (like a lil below the 1/4 mark on the pressure gauge). On a coldstart the oil pressure is almost pegged, probably around 75psi, then during normal operating temp. the needle sits just above the 1/4 mark, isnt that low? the gas gauge also goes down really fast so i think the car is running REALLY rich, would the bigger intake valves cause the heads to dump to much fuel into the cylinders, kinda like bigger injectors? i appreciate any ideas/opinions guys, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement