Best Upgrades for LT1 on Budget - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

BurnemupLT1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Best Upgrades for LT1 on Budget

i just bought a 97 ws6 with 87k on it....

I have about 3k left to spend on it before summer hits and id like to hit 450-500hp mark without spray if possible.....give me some options im open to any and all suggestions

Cat Back/Dumps

Headers

CAI

Cams

Heads

Intake Manifold

ETC.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

LE2 setup...check his site out its a sponsor on the side bar- Elliotts Portworks.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Its stock at the moment?

Not gonna hit 400Hp through stock manis 95Z...

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post

Not gonna hit 400Hp through stock manis 95Z...
Yeah, but he already listed headers as what he wants to do, so I assumed he was going to do that too.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #5

ProjektNitemare13 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

ummm...hate to be a kill joy but if you do hit the 400 mark you're gonna need a new rear end...id recommend at least a 12 bolt if not something more heavy duty, as well as some seriously good sub frame connectors. just my .02 Also as far as manifolds holding power, sanderson makes some nice aftermarket ones, and I've run into a few guys making silly power using stock manifolds that they ported and polished and then had powdercoated..just fyi
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #6

Enthusiast Apprentice Level Tech III

Start with all the bolt ons and get it ready for the HC setup.

When I say get it ready for the HC setup I mean get the fuel and ignitions system up to snuff along with the drivetrain. Rear may not be neccesary depending on your intended uses.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #7

XtremeOracing Apprentice Level Tech I

I can see 400 ~ 450 with LE2 + Supporting Mods... but it will not be 3K... You are going to need a bit more than that... maybe not much more ... but i doubt 3K will cut it ...

1997 Z28 M6
Do | You | Want | Some | Slaw | ?

Last edited by XtremeOracing; 10-20-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

LE pacages no doubt, with long tubes and cat... tune, all done!
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #9

well now i subframe connectors and set of slicks and skinnies not on the car tho so i guess frame might not twist...

the le2 should i get it a cg cam or a just a mild cam

if anyone has some good specs let me know that will work without readoing the whole fuel system and dropping $400/500 for msd stuff

any inexpencive long tubes on here that are ''street legal'' or should i get some slp or paceseters that have egr/air attached to them bcus hookers and kooks r way outa my league
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #10

ProjektNitemare13 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Personally I run arizona speed and marine headers, I love em, great ground clearance and most shops I've talked to say they get pretty much the same power outta them as hookers, and some of the fastest guys were running them. You can usually find good used sets on ebay etc for really cheap saw a set go for only about 150 a couple weeks back and they only had a few minor scratches on them.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

the stock coil and stock electrical stuff is good enough dont waste on msd stuff,,,,only on spark plug wires!,,,,,,,, stick with the oe opti also, just open it and check the internals if they are cracked or something weird about them, place red lock tite in the 3 scres on the rotor....

headers: pacesetters long tubes are affordable

on the other side, you could have your stock heads ported, and build a combo your self but this will not guarantee that youll have an improvement on the heads,,,,

the stock manifold match ported to the heads and just cleared in the inside is good enough , you dont need to change it as far as I know up to 600whp plus or more, so, leave the stock one, 300 bucks for the budget part,,,,,

check le pacages maybe you could save some more money, and youll have just want you want, and you wont be desapointed on the part,

good luck
Ps: do some research dont rush everything cause youll end up disapointed!

you will not get that easy to the 400whp without heads, so LE pacages seems a nice option,,, having a le2 pacage would get you there easy!....

so if you choose not to go with msd stuff you have an extra 500 bucks right ?!
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Old 10-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #12

yeah i was looking around for a good head and cam pack.. but after adding it all up it comes way over the amount for whilch le2 runs...

btw, are any mods neaded to stock manifold to run the 58mm tb or does it bolt up just fine

and yeah thats $500 in my pocket i wont have to spend on msd
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #13

2fast4u88 Apprentice Level Tech II

Start off with catback/dumps, headers and cai. If 400whp is your goal. Get a set of ford/bosch 36lb injectors, some cash for a tune and go with a set of le2's with a ported intake.

Not sure if you know or not but you have to send your heads to loyd. In which i would pick up a set of used ones and send to him if you want to drive the car.

After you get the heads and stuff. Get a set of gears if auto or m6 save for a rear. Then a good clutch/stall

1995 T/A M6: -Tops,390 Eagle Forged Fully Built Stroker,Procharged at 12lb'z(Currently Down)
1995 T/A M6:Hard Top, Stock cube, cc502 w/1.6's, Ls7 Lifters, Summit Pushrods/Guide Plates, 10.734:1, P&P Heads, Arp H/B's, P&p Intake, 30lber's, No Emissions, Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake, Longtubes & Ory, Pro 5.0, 3pt connectors, Lowered 1.5in, 2.5 Cowl hood, ws6 wheels & Tune by Solomon
Old 10-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #14

meine96ws6 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

i can recommend that you build the car together! many people build a motor then blow the trans or rear end...

but, as for your goal..def. a head, cam, roller rockers and a throttle body and some exhaust will get you there..

and a good tune.. if you can find someone to help you build it you will save lots on labor!

WS-6, Built 4L60E, Stock bottom LT-1, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads, Mild Comp Cam, Comp Cam 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK 58mm TB, Racetronix Pump,Eibach Springs, BMR adj. torque arm, adj. LCA, adj. Panhard Bar, Anti-squat brackets, Front/Rear Sway bars, Strut Tower Brace, weld in SFC, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Borla Cat Back ..and soo much more!LS1LT1flag:
Old 10-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #15

2fast4u88 Apprentice Level Tech II

To run a 58mm you have to bore the intake holes out. Stock tb is good to like 400whp if not a little more.

1995 T/A M6: -Tops,390 Eagle Forged Fully Built Stroker,Procharged at 12lb'z(Currently Down)
1995 T/A M6:Hard Top, Stock cube, cc502 w/1.6's, Ls7 Lifters, Summit Pushrods/Guide Plates, 10.734:1, P&P Heads, Arp H/B's, P&p Intake, 30lber's, No Emissions, Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake, Longtubes & Ory, Pro 5.0, 3pt connectors, Lowered 1.5in, 2.5 Cowl hood, ws6 wheels & Tune by Solomon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement