Stock LT1 to Hot Cam Kit? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #1

ElDiablo user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Stock LT1 to Hot Cam Kit?

I'm hoping to get some input on this and possible HP Gains.

I have a completely stock '95 Trans Am LT1 M6 with 140k on the ticker. It does not have any knocks pings or ticks and it holds 25psi Oil pressure at idle and 55psi+ under power. It currently puts down 253whp.

I'm thinking about going with the Hot Cam kit. What kind of whp can I expect with this along with Pacesetter LT and CAI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #2

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

It's a weak kit for the money. Look up Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliott for some kits that would be cheaper and make more HP. Lloyd has a sponsor pane on the side (Elliot's Portworks)>>>>.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #3

NightTrain66@msn.com Apprentice Level Tech III

Pacesetters, ORY and CAI would "probably" get you about 40 HP. A "guesstimate" would be 293 RWHP or so.

Add the Hot cam kit and you would see another 30 HP or so.

The Hot cam is OKL but you could do better. ANY aftermarket cam in the low/mid 220 duration range (Comp CC 503, GM 846, my 223/230 .565/.565 112 LSA cam, etc), some Pro Form 66915 rockers and some Bullet VS 2700 valve springs would get you more low e3nd, more mid range and more top end for similar $$$ spent.

The Hot Cam springs are pretty week and can BARELY handle the Hot Cam and will NOT work with ANY aftermarket cams. they have 105 lbs on the seat, 280 lbs open and coil bind at .540 so "on paper", they are not safe for a .525 lift cam (you want at least .040" clearance before coil bind). the Hot Cam has such slow and lazy lobes that these springs do somehow work "OK" with this cam.

The Bullet VS 2700 springs that I mentioned will have 145 lbs on the seat, 380 lbs open and work with some prettty aggressive lobes. These are fine with the asymmetrical lobes that i use on my cams and can handle .565 lift with no worries. They coil bind way past .600 lift but a .565 lift cam with less than 230 duration will be fine with these springs.

If using 230 or more duration and spinning 6500 RPM or more, I would invest in a good dbl spring to control the valve trane better.

Lloyd
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #4

philosophico user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Can we make a thread that says the hotcam kit is weaksauce and for the money there are far better choices????
Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

My Facebook
chrys95 Apprentice Level Tech I

my thoughts exactly.

eldiablo, you might as well look into something else. for the money your not going to be satisfied, and will end up taking that out later on when you go to rebuild the motor, or when you decide you want real power. you can do a nice setup from lloyd and make more power than the hotcam kit.

96 Formula M6- Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Flowmaster exhaust, cc500, AIR/EGR!, 4.10's, Z06 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
i crouched down and she laid down between my legs rolled over onto her back and just stared at me.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #6

laux06 Apprentice Level Tech II

i put down 300/311 with the same setup your looking at. nice for a dd, but like others have said, you can do WAY better than the hotcam kit for the money spent. definitely look into lloyds setups before you get your heart set on the hotcam kit

94 formy a4, solomons tune for stuff ive done ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auIR-B0tvY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughges View Post
2+2 does not= chair.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #7

2fast4u88 Apprentice Level Tech II

If you want more power and off the cam stuff. Longtubes, ory, catback and a cc503 with 1.6 rockers will give about the most power you can get with stock heads. It will be more than say the hotcam. You will need a tune though either way to get the most power out of it.

1995 T/A M6: -Tops,390 Eagle Forged Fully Built Stroker,Procharged at 12lb'z(Currently Down)
1995 T/A M6:Hard Top, Stock cube, cc502 w/1.6's, Ls7 Lifters, Summit Pushrods/Guide Plates, 10.734:1, P&P Heads, Arp H/B's, P&p Intake, 30lber's, No Emissions, Flowmaster Catback, K&N Intake, Longtubes & Ory, Pro 5.0, 3pt connectors, Lowered 1.5in, 2.5 Cowl hood, ws6 wheels & Tune by Solomon
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

Ive seen, on long tubes pacesetters, slp louth mouth, lt1 edit, hot cam kit, intake, and free mods except the descreen on maf, pulled 320whp on a t56 trans
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #9

mine was probably around there after a decent tune and longtubes, but if/when i do it again, i would not use that setup, no way. much better alternatives for the same coin

94 formy a4, solomons tune for stuff ive done ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auIR-B0tvY

Quote:
2+2 does not= chair.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
bym

same as me, I had the lt4 hot cam, and wanted more out of its price, Iwould go with a bigger wider cam, the only thing i did noticed about the lt4 hot cam is that it is a well manered cam on a4s, daily dirven car, has a nice lope also, steady....
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #11

yup, id have to agree with that for sure.

Quote:
2+2 does not= chair.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #12

Thanks guys I appreciate all the replies. I'll definitely look into getting something other than a Hot Cam now.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
bym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiablo View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate all the replies. I'll definitely look into getting something other than a Hot Cam now.
how mutch do you want to spend, cause you can get a shelf cam for cheap , but getter way lot better results on every way with a custom grinding one,,,, have you checked Loyd Elliots? darn, ive seen number going over 400whp for a cheap price.....
i would also think about getting your engine with 144k miles on it on a rebuild, since this would be a good time to do everything on one sit up!......
if not I got fr8 results on the cc503 cam, with beehive springs, trick flow chromemoly pushrods, 1.6ratio roller rockers..... this would be under $700 all done......
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bym View Post
how mutch do you want to spend, cause you can get a shelf cam for cheap , but getter way lot better results on every way with a custom grinding one,,,, have you checked Loyd Elliots? darn, ive seen number going over 400whp for a cheap price.....
i would also think about getting your engine with 144k miles on it on a rebuild, since this would be a good time to do everything on one sit up!......
if not I got fr8 results on the cc503 cam, with beehive springs, trick flow chromemoly pushrods, 1.6ratio roller rockers..... this would be under $700 all done......

I'm looking to spend about $1,000 on parts.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
bym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiablo View Post
I'm looking to spend about $1,000 on parts.
check loyd elliots! for sure!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement