LT4 hot cam kit questions - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

350smallblock user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default LT4 hot cam kit questions

I have pretty much decided on the hotcam. It fits my performance goals and budget. I had a couple questions about it though. It doesn't come with pushrods. Do i need a different length or just stock replacements? If they are stock length how important is it to replace them? Also do i need bigger injectors? What size should i get? I already have full exhaust. I'm planing on a cut out and electric water pump, probably a 52 mm tb. CAI, and msd coil and 6al. Is all of this necessary? Anything i could omit? Any info will be appreciated thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

You really don't need new pushrods with the LT4 springs, they aren't stiff enough and the rockers in the kit are SA. If you were to replace them and no changes have been made to the heads (milling, valve seats...) you should be fine with stock replacements, but it is always better to measure.

You will be fine with stock injectors on that cam, as for the other stuff it will add a few hp here or there, no need to buy it all at once.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

laux06 Apprentice Level Tech II

i was getting pretty close to maxing out my stock injectors with the hotcam. i reused my stock pushrods without remeasuring, but i really would recommend measuring like 95z said.
also, make sure you get it tuned. there is a crazy difference between that cam being tuned and untuned

94 formy a4, solomons tune for stuff ive done ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auIR-B0tvY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughges View Post
2+2 does not= chair.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Rob

Rob Apprentice Level Tech III

If my memory is correct, 95 and older didn't need to replace the pushrods as they were already hardened. The 96-97 pushrods should be replaced.
96 WS6(sold)
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #5

JSK333 Apprentice Level Tech I

I have seen several Hotcam setups that were close to leaning out or actually did, usually over 5000 RPM or so. It wouldn't hurt to get some 28# or 30# fuel injectors just to be safe. You can usually find used Ford SVOs pretty cheaply online, like $100-$150 for 30#ers.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
95Z
Admin

Or just get an adjustable FPR.

The 95's and 95 only were the ones with hardened pushrods, but its not needed on SA rocker arms anyway. Spring pressure on LT4 springs is only around 100 seated and 260 open. Not that much.

Yep its slow.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #7

350smallblock user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

ok thanks for all the info guys. So when you say measure are you talking about the pushrods themselves or using the adjustable pushrod tool?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
95Z
Admin

Pushrod checking tool. You really need a test spring or solid lifter lifter to check too, test spring being cheaper/easier.

Yep its slow.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #9

laux06 Apprentice Level Tech II

my only question with the test spring is this, how do you get the tip to wear off the marker on the valve stem with no pressure? i had to turn it over a few times just to get the wear mark to even be slightly visible, and that was with regular springs installed. you could always go with proforms tool as well. i really like mine anyway, really easy to use

94 formy a4, solomons tune for stuff ive done ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auIR-B0tvY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughges View Post
2+2 does not= chair.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
95Z
Admin

If you use the stuff your suppose to use (can't recall name, blue stuff lol) it should wear off much easier. As opposed to perm marker.

Yep its slow.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

You talking bout the marking paint for machine shops?

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
95Z
Admin

Yes sir...del chem or something I believe.

Yep its slow.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

you dont need to change the pushrods, stockers will work just fine, but it would be nice to change them since you are there and prevent any thing wrong due to time of use and stuff, go with trickflows one piece chromemoly, they are tuff and cheap!
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #14

juggalotus user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Hey does that lt4 hot cam kit have a nice lope and give you a lot of hp and torque? I was thinkin of going that route too
Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalotus View Post
Hey does that lt4 hot cam kit have a nice lope and give you a lot of hp and torque? I was thinkin of going that route too
actually the lt4 hot cam is a really mild cam, nice for the street it does pull up some hp, nice lope btw!
but as far as ive seen most of the people, swap for bigger cam, like the cc503 cam on stock heads should be the largest one, there is a seccion
**LT1 Camshaft/Valve Train Selection Guide**

this should help you out a lot,,,, and by the way I would save and get a LE pacage, if you really want to see big numbers
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement