Low oil level sensor- need electrical diagram - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #1

slick94prix user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Low oil level sensor- need electrical diagram

The low oil level light is on. I've tried putting a jumper in it, still on. So obviously I have a short somewhere.

Anyone have an electrical schematic that shows where this go's? I'd like to go ahead and just pull the wiring up, and solder a jumper up somewhere higher.

Thanks,

Chris
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

You have oil right?

The low oil light is just an idiot light, so if you get under your car and look above the oil drain plug you will see the sensor.

You can either just cut it out and bypass it, or test it for continuity and or replace the sensor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

I've already put a jumper in the oil level plug, the light did not go out.

Yes, I have plenty of oil. In fact, just changed about 1 hour ago. The oil level sensor light has been on since I bought the car, just figured it was the sensor, until I tried jumping the plug for it and realized that the wiring for the sensor is actually at fault, and not the sensor.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #4

I just cut the connector off, and tried about 6-8" up the line, using a good crimp (for testing), still nothing.

There's definately a short somewhere.

The only thing I've been able to find is that the brown wire go's to the Guage Cluster. The black/white stripe wire, no clue.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #5

http://shbox.com/1/95_ta_cluster_pinout.jpg

Before I go and mess up my gauge cluster, I should just be able to jump the brown to the black/white right at the gauge cluster harness, correct?

I'm just wanting to get rid of this damn light, so it will also get rid of my Check Gauges light (without pulling the bulb)!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #6

BrdwAtti2d Apprentice Level Tech II
Send a message via AIM to BrdwAtti2d Send a message via Yahoo to BrdwAtti2d

The low oil light is hard wired into the cluster. But I never got a check gauges light when the low oil light came on. My sensor went bad and I had to replace it.

2002 L36 Firebird
1997 LT1 Firebird Formula (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
guys with stock throttle bodies have smaller orifices.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

The wires for the sensor drop down from above and can hit on the exhaust mani and get burnt through. Just Another place to look for problems.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
CKJ

I'd personally find out where it goes into the PCM at and do it maybe 6" from there. I can tell you which connector it goes in on a 95 but i'm not sure about the 96's.

It doesn't go into the PCM it just runs along the harness and runs into the 220 Connector which is the White one, the brown wire in slot C. The 220 connector is one of the connectors that hooks into your engine harness thats located underneath the passenger side kick panel. I would imagine that the other wire is just a ground.

Last edited by CKJ; 08-13-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
I'd personally find out where it goes into the PCM at and do it maybe 6" from there. I can tell you which connector it goes in on a 95 but i'm not sure about the 96's.

It doesn't go into the PCM it just runs along the harness and runs into the 220 Connector which is the White one, the brown wire in slot C. The 220 connector is one of the connectors that hooks into your engine harness thats located underneath the passenger side kick panel. I would imagine that the other wire is just a ground.
Yeah, I hadn't seen any place in the PCM for it for the 96-98 cars, so I figured it was more of a dummy light than anything. Just not sure how it tells the "Check Gauges" light to come on.

Will this plug/harness be on the inside of the car, plug through the firewall, or one of the plugs there in front of the PCM on the fenderwell?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrdwAtti2d View Post
The low oil light is hard wired into the cluster. But I never got a check gauges light when the low oil light came on. My sensor went bad and I had to replace it.
Hmm... I wonder if the Check Gauges light isn't for the low oil, but for the abs/tcs lights that are on forever. I already have the TCS disabled in the pcm I just got back from solomon, but the ABS computer itself is bad, throughing up the ABS light (and I could care less about that).
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
CKJ

It'll be on the inside of the car. If you take off the passenger side kick panel (the long piece that runs along side the pass seat and stick your head under the dash you'll see 3 connectors together, a blue, white, and flat black one. Just make sure those are the ones coming from the firewall.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #12

Ok, good deal.

Probably won't get to it until sometime next week, so I can deal with the dummy lights for now.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

If you check your oil regularly, why don;t you take the bulb out.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #14

BrdwAtti2d Apprentice Level Tech II
Send a message via AIM to BrdwAtti2d Send a message via Yahoo to BrdwAtti2d

The blub is hard wired in the cluster in my car. I wanted to go that route when my sensor went bad since I had to disassemble the exhaust to the get stupid sensor changed.

2002 L36 Firebird
1997 LT1 Firebird Formula (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
guys with stock throttle bodies have smaller orifices.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #15

Toxicta Apprentice Level Tech III

May have missed this in the thread but have you checked the sensor itself. I seen one a few years back the the float piece broke. Causing the low oil light on steady. It still puts a smile on my face because instead of checking the dip stick the guy had added 3 quarts of oil and the light still wouldn't go out.
383, Forged Crank ,6" H-Beam Rods,Forged Wiesco Heavy Duty Flat Top Pistons,Lingenfelter Mechanical Roller Camshaft 236/244 .590/.590,Crane Solid Roller Lifters,Crane Gold Race Roller Rockers 1.6,Manley Severe Duty 2.02 1.60 Stainless Valves+.100 Ported Heads and PM intake. NOS Sportsman Direct Port Fogger System 240 HP Shot,Center Force Dual Friction Clutch,Auburn Posi Pro,Motive Gear 4.56,Boyd Coddington 20" Espadas,Nitto Invo 305/25ZR20,Nitto Invo 285/25/25ZR20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement