1995 Z28 Disappearing Coolant... - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

7Charlie user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 1995 Z28 Disappearing Coolant...

Alright guys, I've searched the forums on here, and can't find anything that sounds related.

I've got a 95 Z28, bone stock, 109,000 miles on it. From about 100k to 107k, the low coolant light had been occasionally coming on. I ended up replacing the radiator, H20 pump, heater core, thermostat, hoses, etc.

Over the past 2k, I've had to add about 3 gallon of coolant. Here's the kickers that make no sense to me...

A) I have no visible leaks under the vehicle, ever.
B) Once the engine is warm, I get no steam or water vapor out of the tailpipe.
C) No coolant contamination of the motor oil.
D) No oil contamination of the coolant.
E) Just recently pulled the valve covers to quiet down a loose rocker - the tops of both heads were spotless.
F) No coolant contamination of the auto trans fluid.

Before I start to spend mucho bucks... any advice? I'd think with a cracked block / head / blown gasket, I'd see some contamination somewhere.

Anybody ever had anything like this???

Thanks in advance for your responses.

//7C
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
CKJ

The one thing you could do but its a royal pain is to pull every plug in the motor to see one is being "steam cleaned"

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #3

alpine247 Apprentice Level Tech I

had the same problem and came to find out it was the radiator cap was bad.

so give that a try ...
94 Z28 with 96 impala LT1, Auto A4,3.73's, (Mods) CAI,Elbow,Mids headers,Msd Wires/Coil, Cat delete,Built 4l60e/with shift kit&2500 stall,Dyno Tune,Chokemaster muffler,Panhard bar,lca arm's and all the free mods... And Dyno at 286hp/342tq.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

blk99ek user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I would get a leak down tester and pump the system up and wait and see if you can't see anything. Look under the throttle body on the passanger side and see if their is any coolant down their
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #5

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Check the overflow pipe that runs under the battery to the remote reservoir. It can leak very slowly to where you will never see any coolant hit the ground. You will have to remove the battery.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #6

96RedZ28 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I just got done with that problem today... Wondered where all my coolant was going when it wasnt on the ground... It got hot and turned into steam, found out radiator cap was bad.

02 Z28 35th Anniversary - M6 - 4.10 - FTP 98mm Intake - SLP DOTL 3" - SLP Strut Bar - SLP 85mm MAF - UMI PHB - UMI LCAs - FRA - 17" Chrome ZR1's - Hurst Shifter - AAM diff cover - Auburn diff - Bilstein Shocks - SLP SFC's, Hotchkis 35mm sway bar - Tune-330RWHP 341RWTQ
--Soon - FAST 102/92
Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #7

Default Results...

Thanks for all the advice guys - found the following.

Got a leakdown tester. Tested the radiator cap - it would pop off around 16-17 psi, but would then quickly leak down to about 7-8 psi. From what I can understand, this indicated the cap is bad, correct? My understanding is that the cap should "pop" in the 17-18 range and then hold that pressure, right?

Put the tester on the radiator itself - Pumped it up to 18 psi. After about 2 minutes, I would say that I was down to about 17.75... very little to no loss. Is this enough to even worry about? Or should I just get a high quality "stop-leak" additive, run it for a few days, and then test again?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
CKJ

Leave the tester on for much more than 2 minutes. I usually put them on and walk away for 15-20 minutes.

I've personally never tested a cap for I don't have that adapter for my pressure check setup. If in question, just buy a new one Can't run no more than 5-7 bucks just a guess.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #9

In reference to the tester - will do tomorrow.

Should I see any leak down in 20 minutes? Is there an "acceptable" figure?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
CKJ

You shouldn't have any if you want to get 100% technical. But I would imagine if it sticks to that 1/4 PSI then you shouldn't have any real problems. I think 1/2 psi would bug me enough to where i'd start searching.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Dennis93TA Apprentice Level Tech III

I have a question, Do you hear any "bubbling" in the radiator after you shut the car down after the car is hot?

Reason I ask is not many people could tell me why one of my cars would do this, it would lose coolant but I could not locate the leak. After buying a coolant test I found my headgasket was bad. I had no cross contamination of any fluids and nothing out the tail pipe. Just bubbles in the radiator. It's a wierd situation where the pistons will push air(exhaust) into the coolant passages but not the other way around.

Just a thought.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #12

I'll check on the bubbling - I can't say that I have heard it, but I don't know if I have paid enough attention after a hot shutdown.

I redid the leakdown test, found about 1.5 psi loss after 20 minutes.

I'm going to try a combustion gas leak test on the cooling system next, just to verify that I'm getting contamination.

Thanks for the heads up. Next time I get her warm, I'll be sure to listen to the cooling system for a while.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
CKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis93TA View Post
I have a question, Do you hear any "bubbling" in the radiator after you shut the car down after the car is hot?

Reason I ask is not many people could tell me why one of my cars would do this, it would lose coolant but I could not locate the leak. After buying a coolant test I found my headgasket was bad. I had no cross contamination of any fluids and nothing out the tail pipe. Just bubbles in the radiator. It's a wierd situation where the pistons will push air(exhaust) into the coolant passages but not the other way around.

Just a thought.
Hell Dennis, if thats the case almost every one of my cars would have a bad gasket. I know my 92 Cadi does it I don't know...i'm just...lost, forgive me.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Supporting Member

Dennis93TA Apprentice Level Tech III

There is a tester they sell, I forget the name of it, you take off the radiator cap and push this thing into the radiator, fill it up with the special fluid and use the hand pump. If there is any exhaust gases in the coolant it will turn the special fluid a diff color, which either means you have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. I have the tester somewhere, I may have to dig it out and get the name of it, I think it is simply call a "Block Tester"
Old 07-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #15

Yeah, that's next on the list. I've currently got an issue with my rocker nuts backing off, so I'm trying to get through 1 issue at a time. Thanks though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement