383 LT1 or LT1 .30 over? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #1

briank user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Question 383 LT1 or LT1 .30 over?

Hey guys, what would work better bang for the buck? My guy wants to spend around $3000-3500 on the build. Im thinking going .30 over with forged insides, AFR heads, and maybe the bottle. What do you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

James_Montigny Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via MSN to James_Montigny

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
Hey guys, what would work better bang for the buck? My guy wants to spend around $3000-3500 on the build. Im thinking going .30 over with forged insides, AFR heads, and maybe the bottle. What do you guys think?
For $3500, your best best is a quality Heads/Cam package from Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Induction.
There's absolutely no reason to put money into a stroker and try to run stock heads, you'll be very disappointed.
You can easily clear 400rwhp and pick up 11sec time slips with those setups.
(Been there, done that)

If your bottom end needs rebuilt and you can get away with pistons, go that route.
Your stock rods are already forged, their only real drawback are the stock rod bolts
which can't handle 6500+RPM without losing control of the bearings.
The stock crank is as strong (if not moreso) than any cast aftermarket offering.

What's wrong with the stock shortblock?
1993 Pontiac Firehawk #018 - Forged 383, LE-Dart Heads and Hyd Cam
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2297151
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #3

There isent really anything wrong with it I dont think. It has 146,000 on it. So he wants to build it up. Would the 383 be the best way to go?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
95Z
Admin

95Z Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
There isent really anything wrong with it I dont think. It has 146,000 on it. So he wants to build it up. Would the 383 be the best way to go?
Could you make more power with it? Yes

Could you stay on budget and still have a motor as tough as the 355? Probaly not

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #5

Ok. were is a good place to get a stroker kit? and a .40 over kit? so I can price them both out for him.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
95Z
Admin

Kits really aren't the best bargain and I'd never run a prebalanced one, but just google 383 stroker kit. All you need is a SBC setup with a 1 piece rear main.

Yep its slow.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #7

My Facebook
SlowAss94LT1 Apprentice Level Tech I

^^^^ good info.

I am looking into a 355 build myself, and would like to spray 150 at it all day with no problems. This will be a winter project, but I want to do my homework and do this all right the first time. Would you say to use the stock crank and rods for a nitrous application along with some forged pistons? What bearings and bolts would actually hold together to 7000rpm?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #8

This is the only im looking at telling him about if he wanted to do a 383:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SB-CHEVY-383-LT1...3A1%7C294%3A50
and go with the:
MAHLE DISHED pistons 10.5:1 with a 58 cc head

And im going to do total seal rings for sure.

And then I think a set of Dark or AFR heads with the 58 CC, and then call up comp and have a custom grind done for this.

Then headers

How about that?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
95Z
Admin

Quote:
This is the only im looking at telling him about if he wanted to do a 383:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SB-CHEVY-383-LT1...3A1%7C294%3A50
and go with the:
MAHLE DISHED pistons 10.5:1 with a 58 cc head

And im going to do total seal rings for sure.

And then I think a set of Dark or AFR heads with the 58 CC, and then call up comp and have a custom grind done for this.

Then headers

How about that?
I'm glad you understand the importance of heads! Most people we get want to build a budget 383 and stick stock heads back onto it and its impossible to change their mind. However, ported stockers by LE or AI will flow at least as good as the aftermarket heads (LT1 castings have huge potential) so you might want to look into that just as another option, I'm not sure what the new heads are going to run you, but ported stockers might save you a few $$$.

Everything looks good on that kit with the exception of the crank. That will def be the weak link in that setup.

Yep its slow.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #10

Yeah, this isent my first engine build lol. I know that heads and cam will make or brake your set up. I dont like not haveing a forged crank but I havent found one that has that. I know the stock heads have alot left in them but they are so heavy lol. I sold him on doing aftermarket heads, I LOVE AFR heads, I would like to do a 210 heads but would I have to move to a LT4 intake or how good is the LT1 intake?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
95Z
Admin

Quote:
Yeah, this isent my first engine build lol. I know that heads and cam will make or brake your set up. I dont like not haveing a forged crank but I havent found one that has that. I know the stock heads have alot left in them but they are so heavy lol. I sold him on doing aftermarket heads, I LOVE AFR heads, I would like to do a 210 heads but would I have to move to a LT4 intake or how good is the LT1 intake?
A ported LT1 intake will easily support it. The LT4 actually won't work right b/c the runners are .1" higher so they only work with the LT4 heads.

Is this an iron headed engine? Also what is it going in?

Yep its slow.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #12

James_Montigny Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via MSN to James_Montigny

Quote:
Do a leak-down test on the stock shortblock to see if the rings are in good shape.
If it comes back good, you can save yourself money by leaving it alone.
As mentioned above, the extra displacement is a waste without a good top end to compliment it.

Quote:
Ok. were is a good place to get a stroker kit? and a .40 over kit? so I can price them both out for him.
Callies makes an excellent kit at a reasonable price. But expect to spend $2000-2400 on a forged rotating assembly alone.
(as I mentioned above, no reason to go cast)
I used an Eagle forged assembly for my 383 build, the parts along cost $1850.

Either way, you'll also need bearings, fluids, gaskets, balancing labor ($175+) and precision assembly.
That will erode your entire budget very quickly.
1993 Pontiac Firehawk #018 - Forged 383, LE-Dart Heads and Hyd Cam
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2297151
Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #13

Ok here looks like a killer deal! Thanks for taking the time to go tho everything
It looks like this is a 383 kit with fully forged crank and pistions:
http://www.strokerkits.com/index.php...emart&Itemid=1
Then Item number:
1-41829

Forged Dish pistions.

I would like to see 10.5:1 CR
Old 04-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #14

ITs going in a 95 Vette. ITs a cast iron headed engine. The guy will spend more if its worth it. Im going for the 383 becasue it seems like thats going to get him were he wants. Mid 11's or low 11's.

On that site I posted it looks like its $1275.00 full forged.
It will have a good top end tho. AFR,Dart, Trick Flow heads somthing on that line and its going to have a pretty good size cam.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
95Z
Admin

Hmm, did the motor get swapped, all vettes and F-bodies are suppose to have aluminum heads in them...

Looks like a good kit, but no brand or anything. You know you can run 11.8:1 on an LT1 with pump gas right? Reverse flow cooling

Yep its slow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement