Cutting the catalytic converter, few questions before I decide - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Fhawk362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West palm beach, FL
Posts: 50
 
Cutting the catalytic converter, few questions before I decide

I want to cut off my catalytic converter and would like to find out a few things first. 1. how much should it cost me, i dont have any hook-ups and will have to go to a local exhaust shop. 2. I'm mostly doing it for a louder rumble, will it sound nicer without the cats. 3. Not so important, but what type of gains should I get out of it, both in E.T. and horsepower: current mods in sig. 4. I live in FL and there are no emissions here so is it still illegal to do here?

Thanks for any help in answering my questions.

Ram air, flowmaster 80 muffler, air foil,160 t-stat, slp fan switch, and corvette y2k rims 17/18". Daily driver

2nd: 1994 formula, stock with recently rebuilt tranny and shift kit.



I've been told slow and steady wins the race... for that honda it was untrue.
Fhawk362 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Regular Member
 
XtremeOracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,016
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhawk362 View Post
I want to cut off my catalytic converter and would like to find out a few things first. 1. how much should it cost me, i dont have any hook-ups and will have to go to a local exhaust shop. 2. I'm mostly doing it for a louder rumble, will it sound nicer without the cats. 3. Not so important, but what type of gains should I get out of it, both in E.T. and horsepower: current mods in sig. 4. I live in FL and there are no emissions here so is it still illegal to do here?

Thanks for any help in answering my questions.
I live in FL too, it might be illegal to cut them but who cares there are no emission laws here! i don't remember noticing a gain as far as HP when i cut them out before getting headers but, it did sound deeper...

They charged me $40 to do it.... and i gave the mechanic who did it $20 tip ... so grand total ! 60 bucks.


1997 Z28 M6
Do | You | Want | Some | Slaw | ?
XtremeOracing is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
 
ShowNoMercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,469
 
If you get it cut out and not just "gutted" it prob will make your exhaust louder but more raspy too. As for legal issues, its a federal crime so whether or not your state checks is hogwash. If you get pulled over and for some strange reason the cop checks, big fine/impound vehicle/off to jail time. Granted I am being extreme, but in all reality, its just not worth the maybe 10hp you get. If you get rid of the stock manifolds then by all means ditch the cat.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
ShowNoMercy is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Regular Member
 
steveo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver Isl., BC
Posts: 4,967
 
as a general rule, stock manifolds + cat delete + flowmaster catback sounds pretty rough

you might want to find a dead cat somewhere and gut it, and just bolt it up to see if you like the sound before you put too much effort into deleting it properly
steveo is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Fhawk362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West palm beach, FL
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
If you get it cut out and not just "gutted" it prob will make your exhaust louder but more raspy too. As for legal issues, its a federal crime so whether or not your state checks is hogwash. If you get pulled over and for some strange reason the cop checks, big fine/impound vehicle/off to jail time. Granted I am being extreme, but in all reality, its just not worth the maybe 10hp you get. If you get rid of the stock manifolds then by all means ditch the cat.

If i get it gutted will that make it sound better? How do you gut one? On the free mods section of this website it said to cut it out and put in a straight pipe but that doesn't seem to be what youre telling me gutting is.

Ram air, flowmaster 80 muffler, air foil,160 t-stat, slp fan switch, and corvette y2k rims 17/18". Daily driver

2nd: 1994 formula, stock with recently rebuilt tranny and shift kit.



I've been told slow and steady wins the race... for that honda it was untrue.
Fhawk362 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ga, Stone Mtn
Posts: 788
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhawk362 View Post
If i get it gutted will that make it sound better? How do you gut one? On the free mods section of this website it said to cut it out and put in a straight pipe but that doesn't seem to be what youre telling me gutting is.
Gutting it is essentially removing the cat and removing the guts inside it then putting it back on, some people do this so they can pass the mirror test.

93 "Oddball" Camaro z28
philosophico is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
 
ShowNoMercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,469
 
Yup, and it will sound horrible.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
ShowNoMercy is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Fhawk362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West palm beach, FL
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
as a general rule, stock manifolds + cat delete + flowmaster catback sounds pretty rough

you might want to find a dead cat somewhere and gut it, and just bolt it up to see if you like the sound before you put too much effort into deleting it properly
ok, maybe deleting the cat aint the best idea. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions on how to get my car sounding better and maybe gain some power that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm a college student with a part time job and not much money so any suggestions. Also, any suggestions for just random little mods or fairly cheap mods Im all ears as well.

Ram air, flowmaster 80 muffler, air foil,160 t-stat, slp fan switch, and corvette y2k rims 17/18". Daily driver

2nd: 1994 formula, stock with recently rebuilt tranny and shift kit.



I've been told slow and steady wins the race... for that honda it was untrue.
Fhawk362 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Fhawk362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West palm beach, FL
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Yup, and it will sound horrible.
ok, maybe deleting the cat aint the best idea. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions on how to get my car sounding better and maybe gain some power that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm a college student with a part time job and not much money so any suggestions. Also, any suggestions for just random little mods or fairly cheap mods Im all ears as well.

Ram air, flowmaster 80 muffler, air foil,160 t-stat, slp fan switch, and corvette y2k rims 17/18". Daily driver

2nd: 1994 formula, stock with recently rebuilt tranny and shift kit.



I've been told slow and steady wins the race... for that honda it was untrue.
Fhawk362 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Regular Member
 
94 Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 340
 
Sound wise your best bet would be to save up for some LT's not to mention you'll get a couple extra ponies out of it.


6-Speed, Moroso CAI, Pacesetter shorties, Flowmaster exhaust, short stick, 160* thermo, AIR delete, Spec Stage 1 clutch
94 Z28 is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
 
ShowNoMercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,469
 
Cheap, loud and maybe some power could come from a cutout.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
ShowNoMercy is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 630
 
Question

How would gutting your cat make it sound horrible?
On my ret. 94 Z28 A4 I was running some BBK shortys and down pipes with my cat gutted and my god it sounded mean as hell!!!
That is vs what is sounded like with just a single mandrel bent 3inch cat back with a flowmaster muffler and custom tips!











Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Yup, and it will sound horrible.
MY94ZZZ is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
 
ShowNoMercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,469
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY94ZZZ View Post
How would gutting your cat make it sound horrible?
On my ret. 94 Z28 A4 I was running some BBK shortys and down pipes with my cat gutted and my god it sounded mean as hell!!!
That is vs what is sounded like with just a single mandrel bent 3inch cat back with a flowmaster muffler and custom tips!
Shorties, downpipes? and no cat? WTH kinda exhaust was that?

And gutting the cat creates a big box for exhaust flow to be hindered. Ever wonder why aftermarket stuff is smooth with no kinks or other flow challenges?

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
ShowNoMercy is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 630
 
Thumbs down

Well lets see here if you know anything about exhaust you woulden't have asked that question. but i know you do know alot about LT1's? Maybe in jersey that different words for different things.
So you have the shorty headers, then the two pipes on on each side that lead into a y, then stright into your 3 inch cat delete pipe. what don't you understand about that exhaust system??????????????????





Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Shorties, downpipes? and no cat? WTH kinda exhaust was that?

And gutting the cat creates a big box for exhaust flow to be hindered. Ever wonder why aftermarket stuff is smooth with no kinks or other flow challenges?
MY94ZZZ is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
 
ShowNoMercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,469
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY94ZZZ View Post
Well lets see here if you know anything about exhaust you woulden't have asked that question. but i know you do know alot about LT1's? Maybe in jersey that different words for different things.
So you have the shorty headers, then the two pipes on on each side that lead into a y, then stright into your 3 inch cat delete pipe. what don't you understand about that exhaust system??????????????????
Downpipe is a term guys with with turbos use to describe the pipe from the exhaust port on the turbo to the catback or whatever they run. What you have would be more commonly called a "Y pipe or ORY" not a downpipe. And I was referring to gutting the cat, which would keep the stock cat housing and remove its contents, which will create a lot of bad turbulence in your exhaust flow and more than likely hurt performance.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
ShowNoMercy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome