Urgent 1996 Impala SS SUPERCHARGED - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

maddysmods user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via MSN to maddysmods
Default 1996 Impala SS SUPERCHARGED

Hey Gear Heads new here on this forum! Have a Customer wanting to Build a LT4 383 SUPERCHARGED! Or Should we go LT1 Heads and Intake! Or stick with the LT4 Setup! I am going to have my Machine Shop do the building of the motor! I just wanted to see what you guys thought or have done! LOL we all know BOOST and High Compression doesn't Mix! Open for some ideas! Boost range from 5-10 psi! Thanks Brandon!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Someone is excited.... And once you build a boosted Gen II, the whole LT4 or LT1 designation is kinda irrelevant. But you need to clear up a few things; projected budget, street or strip, what your power goal is, and do you have the rest of the car ready for that power.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

Budget for the motor isn't that important! street car! The trans is ready but the rear end isnt but were talking about a bench racer here! He just wants to be the kid in town with the 383 supercharged! no hp goals! Just a dumb kid that wants to say he has the SUPERCHARGER! I tried to talk him out of the thing!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

Well no budget like over 15k or less?

Quote:

Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #5

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

chuck a cheap one on there with a big pulley and try to make about 4psi of boost

that way you don't need intercoolers, head or cam work, supporting drivetrain strengthening mods, fuel system upgrades, tuning, and he can say 'i have a supercharger'

My LT1 Projects: .. EEX - Tunerpro XDF .. LT1 Tech Page ..
.. Unix ALDL Datastream Parser .. My Daily Driver ..
Please don't pm me questions unless absolutely necessary,
post a thread so it may help others in the future...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

And make him sign a really lengthy, wordy document, that basically says your not responsible. And I hear Ebay has some great deals on Superchargers.

Quote:

Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #7

mtperformance Apprentice Level Tech I

If it was me for the heads I would just port the stockers (even if you only got the cast iron heads) with the proper hardware i.e. RR, springs, pushrods,etc. and port the stock intake. I would run dished forged pistons and if its a 383 6.0 rods would be awesome. You would want to try to get down to 10.1 for that 10 psi of boost and would all depend on the deck of the block for what size dish in the piston you would need. For a cam I would get a hold of Mr. Bauer at Bauer racing (sponsor ->) and get a custom grind cam for the set up and the basic bolt ons are a must i.e. headers, 58mmTB, ignition parts etc. and would also run the NGK TR6 plugs .

I have never built a LT1 for boost but this is what I would do.

Last edited by mtperformance; 09-10-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #8

THANK YOU! Someone that has something useful to say! Yeah it had all the trimmings from summit 58mm LT4 top end! Powerdumper on it! I always YANK that MSDUMP off of there GM has been doing Igniton systems for a long time there is NO GAIN FROM THAT CRAP! sorry just felt like venting everyone thinks thats going to do something for you at 4000rpm but whatever! I was thinking 10.1 was bit high? And thanks for the tip on the plugs! I got this SC LT4 Running like a rape date but the high miles just couldnt handle the POWER! I was BAKING the 22in Iroc Rims though! Then KNOCK KNOCK who's there showed up! GOT LT's all around ME! I will keep you up to date Kid wants to dump money into this Big B BODY LOL GM knows how to make a BOAT! I will chat with my buddy again at the Machine Shop today and see what direction were heading!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #9

I like the ignition boxes MSD makes for all the things you can do with it but I would never run one of there opti's.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #10

Who is doing the tuning and are they pulling enough timing for the boost?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #11

Well MSD is for OLD GUMMERS that have nothing to do! Why piggy back something off your ignition! MSD is all hype plus it will throw random Misfire codes! Also it looks like a big eye soar under the hood! As for tuning I am working with Bryan at PCM4less I have laptop and cables not the first time I have done this we also have a Dyno at my shop that helps out too! What were you thinking for timing on the boosted SS!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmods View Post
Well MSD is for OLD GUMMERS that have nothing to do! Why piggy back something off your ignition! MSD is all hype plus it will throw random Misfire codes! Also it looks like a big eye soar under the hood! As for tuning I am working with Bryan at PCM4less I have laptop and cables not the first time I have done this we also have a Dyno at my shop that helps out too! What were you thinking for timing on the boosted SS!
I am not even going to try to answer that ?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

Have you sent a letter to MSD to inform them that their products are garbage? I think they would beg to differ... and furthermore, the great GM ignition system you so lovingly fllaunt has its flaws too, the dreaded optispark, coils failing at higher RPMs, ICMs burning out etc. But hey your right, GM does everything perfectly.

Quote:

Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #14

Suckers like you keep MSDump in business! I am just going to leave it at that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement