Trying to remove engine- Flexplate won't spin - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #1

bcortell user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Trying to remove engine- Flexplate won't spin

So I just got a '94 Trans Am with a blown engine- so I have to pull it and rebuild it. The only places the engine is connected at are the engine mounts, the two lower bellhousing bolts, and the flexplate. I can't seem to rotate the flexplate at all to get to the other bolts on it. It's not that I'm weak- at least I don't think I'm weak (6'2" 195lb. 19yrs old that works out a lot- please don't email me- not looking at dating any of you)- so I don't see a problem why the flexplate won't spin at all. Some help please!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #2

Default Trying to remove engine- Flexplate won't spin

So I just got a '94 Trans Am with a blown engine- so I have to pull it and rebuild it. The only places the engine is connected at are the engine mounts, the two lower bellhousing bolts, and the flexplate. I can't seem to rotate the flexplate at all to get to the other bolts on it. It's not that I'm weak- at least I don't think I'm weak (6'2" 195lb. 19yrs old that works out a lot- please don't email me- not looking at dating any of you)- so I don't see a problem why the flexplate won't spin at all. Some help please!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #3

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Spark plugs out?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
CKJ

How exactly are you trying? A flexplate turner or by the front crank bolt? Get a 1/2" breaker bar w/ a 5/8's socket and turn that mutha.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

Jpack Apprentice Level Tech III

Unless the blown motor = locked up motor.

Nifba.proboards.com

Clayton Racing 398, Rossler TH350 with brake, Dana S60, 250 shot, UMI Performance, Spohn, Baer brakes, 3000 race weight. Street driven race car.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #6

polarisfan user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

well if the motors blown it could be seized up
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
CKJ

If the motor is indeed locked up, you'll have at least one way to get the motor to spin over.

Usually if the motor is locked due to bearings seizing then its usually the main bearings. Try dropping the oil pan and undoing the main caps 1 at a time and take out the top bearing. So at least the bottom of the crank journal is still in the bearing. That should get you turning the motor over. Unless its a rod that has siezed..which try to unbolt it and knock the bearing out.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #8

Yes spark plugs are out.

I tried to turn the flexplate itself with a pair of gloves and two hands. Then i tried to turn it at the front of the engine.. no luck either way.

I'll drop the oil pan and all that when i have some free time in the next couple days. Thanks for the help.

(and i guess a pushrod blew-or came undone from a rocker- but i that's just what the guy said, so take it for what it's worth.)
Old 07-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #9

6spdphoenix user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to 6spdphoenix Send a message via Yahoo to 6spdphoenix

Are you looking to save the engine as a rebuild or just want it out of there? I would try a flywheel wrench or as said above,a breaker bar on the front of the crank. if it comes down to it,you could always pull a head and beat the top of the pistons untill the engine rolls over. That is of cousre if the engine is worth nothing more to you then a paper weight,other wise...dont do it lol. Good luck!
1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula 388 lt1 stroker with M-6 6speed......MODS.....CAI,Pace setter mid length headers,ORY pipe,Hooker super comp cat back,Cat delete,Holley 52mm throttle body,8.5mm wires,Delco platinums,B&M ripper short throw with hurst pistol grip handle,stage 2 clutch,17" bfgoodrich G force kdw tires,.060 over flat tops,stroked out to 388,blocks been decked down,stock spec cam,lifters,pushroads,rockers,heads,intake.a few other odds and ends
Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #10

Greg Norris Apprentice Level Tech I

what is wrong with the motor to begin with? you say its blown, but not why. could be a seized block, a dropped valve, seized bearings, or any number of other things. have you pulled the tranny all the way off?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #11

Greg Norris Apprentice Level Tech I

motor blown.... probably seized... wont spin...
Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Administrator

03slowZ06 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via Yahoo to 03slowZ06

Is the tranny in neutral? If its an auto it does not matter. But I have seen alot of people call a flywheel a flex plate.
drivers side is a dream....passenger side on the other hand...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it

I am permanently banned from all petting zoo's for getting to friendly
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #13

What does seized up mean exactly?

and it's an auto.. and in neutral..
Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
Administrator

03slowZ06 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via Yahoo to 03slowZ06

Siezed up means that either the piston(s) are jammed up in the cylinders or the bearings are stuck to the crank. It is just a term used to describe the motor not being able to be turned.
drivers side is a dream....passenger side on the other hand...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it

I am permanently banned from all petting zoo's for getting to friendly
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
CKJ

I think he really doesn't know why its blown. The previous owner said something but he's not sure. Hell before I put to much time/effort into a car that had something wrong with the motor i'd definatly pull it out and go through her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement