96 Trans Am rough idle - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #1

red96tam6 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to red96tam6
Default 96 Trans Am rough idle

So my 96 TA has a rough idle to it, and stays in open loop for what i think to be an exsesive amount of time(3-5 minutes). i did get 3 codes when i scanned it, and i know exactly what 2 of the 3 are, the first 2 are P0134/P0135 which is the bank 1 o2 sensor no activity and something else with the heated o2 sensor circuit, i have a pair of sensors on order, but my 3rd code is p1661, MIL (malfunction indicator light circuit) No idea whats wrong, but when i turn the ignition on, the SES/MIL light DOES work, so i know for a fact that it is not a bulb. just wondering if anyone knows or has any idea if changing my o2's would make my rough idle smooth out and what the hell is up with my MIL circuit. (btw i ran lucas injector cleaner kinda heavy, (2 small bottles) and the car sat with a half a tank of gas with the cleaner for about 2-3 months until yesterday when i went to the gas station and filled it up with some new gas.)

Not really sure how much of an effect a little stale gas will have but maybe someone in their infinite wisdom can help me.

(the ignition system is good, wire are in the right order, but possible fouled plugs from the bad distributor, they are ACDelco single prong platinums, and the fuel filter has been replaced)

sorry for the long post trying to make sure i hit on the things i know it isnt. Thanks

-Jonathan

Last edited by red96tam6; 02-29-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #2

ss.slp.ls1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to ss.slp.ls1

Bad o2's will definitely affect engine operation. See if the rough idle goes away after the new o2's and new wires. Also, if you suspect fouled plugs and budget permits, might as well swap them out.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS, M6, K&N FIPK CAI, Mangaflow Cat-back
1997 Chevrolet Camaro SS, M6, Flowmaster Cat-back
Project: LQ4 build-up in progress
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #3

im not convinced that the plugs are fouled, because they were replaced maybe an oil change ago. i did take one out and look at it, was running rich but was prior to my opti change, ill pop one out again tonight and take a look. im hoping the o2's are going to make a huge differance, especially in how long it takes to go into closed loop. thanks for the reply
Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #4

i changed out the bad bank 1 o2 sensor, and now the car runs perfectly, its idle is 99% but i blame it on old gas.

-only thing i cant figure out is why i still have a P1661 MIL circuit code.
my SES/MIL lights does work when i turn the ignition on, but i cant get rid of the code. even after i erase it, it instantly comes back. anyone wanna throw me some knowledge here im at a total loss here and its the last thing thats kicking my azz

404 RWHP/ 372 lbs. Tq, 160 thermo, Ai 200cc Stock Ported Heads w/ Ai226/234 cam, K&N Cold air intake, CC 1.6 ratio roller rockers, C-moly pushrods, Pacesetter Coated Long Tubes, Custom X-Pipe, Bullet mufflers w/ Turndowns before the rear axle, Professional Products 58mm TB, MSD 8.5mm Plug wires, LT4 Knock Module, EGR Block off plates, Spec stage 2 clutch w/ aluminum flywheel,UMI dual adjustable Panhard bar and LCA's, B&M short throw shifter, C5 Black wheels.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #5

cadeMFjohnson user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

bad o2's can seriously foul plugs fast. keep that in mind

... Yea, as I walk through the valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for Torque art with me..."

1995 white T/A, t-tops, BMR Fabrication lower control arms strut brace and panhard rod, K&N filter/ stock housing, resonator removed, t/b bypass, MAF port/polish/descreen, pcv replaced with breather, 17" fikse wheels, m6 tranny, cat replaced with straight pipe, magnaflow catback
Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #6

my car seems to be running well now, no more codes besides the annoying P1661 MIL circuit code, from a cold start its idles consistant, then goes into closed loop easy, but from a restart after its already a bit warm, my idle is a little inconsistent, ranging from 750-950 but then goes into closed loop and the idle stays constant. i would like to assume my pugs are ok, they werent changed too long ago, but i have done 3 sets of plugs in 2 years so if need be i will change them again =) thanks for the reply, now if only i could figure out this stupid p1661 code i wouldnt have anything to complain about ..lol

-also, the gas thats in the car right now is about 50% stale gas and 50% new gas as of a few days ago, sitting at a half of a tank, so once i hit 1/4 tank im gonna go refill it, who knows how much condensation or w/e got in, but like i said she runs strong after warm-up/open loop.

404 RWHP/ 372 lbs. Tq, 160 thermo, Ai 200cc Stock Ported Heads w/ Ai226/234 cam, K&N Cold air intake, CC 1.6 ratio roller rockers, C-moly pushrods, Pacesetter Coated Long Tubes, Custom X-Pipe, Bullet mufflers w/ Turndowns before the rear axle, Professional Products 58mm TB, MSD 8.5mm Plug wires, LT4 Knock Module, EGR Block off plates, Spec stage 2 clutch w/ aluminum flywheel,UMI dual adjustable Panhard bar and LCA's, B&M short throw shifter, C5 Black wheels.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #7

so i pulled my plugs out since i got the car running well, and they look perfect. just wondering if it matter if the car runs with an inconsistent idle , but runs perfect when going into closed loop. anyone wanna humor me with their opinion?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #8

Default Fixed

my old gauge cluster was wired so the CEL came on when the ignition was on, but would stay off when the car was running regardless of the fact that it was throwing a check engine light worthy code. put a new set of gauges in there and the code went away =) now i get to stare at the CEL for a while until i fix the minor kinks (only one at the momment =) )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement