Discuss LS1 Transmission mating to LT1 Engine. Help! - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

LS1 Transmission mating to LT1 Engine. Help!

I have a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am I am attempting to convert to a manual transmission (from automatic transmission). The only difference is this Trans Am has the LT1 5.7L V8 in it and I am trying to put the new LS1 (98-02) transmission into it. I have done quite a bit of modification to get the transmission to mate and mount onto the car.
This includes shortening the drive shaft, a custom cross member mount, as well as a bell housing that accounts for the different input shaft length. That being said, The LS1 transmission is equipped with a hydraulic throw out bearing slave cylinder and the car has already been modified with the respective clutch assembly.
The problem I am facing is that the newer style Clutch Kit (Flywheel, Pressure Plate, and clutch disk) wont bolt to the mounting holes on the rear of the LT1 engine. Even if I use a stock LT1 clutch kit the pressure plate is not compatible with the newer style of the hydraulic throw out bearing attached to the LS1 transmission.
What I am looking for is a solution of mounting a compatible Flywheel to the LT1 engine so that the stock LS1 pressure plate can mount to to it and work with the LS1 transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM
10 Second Opti Club

Pretty sure you want to swap to an lt1 bell housing and use the lt1 components. Drive shaft length should not change, the 1 piece drive shafts are direct swaps between 93-02 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I originally had an LT1 Clutch Kit installed on the engine, however the Pressure Plate fingers are a much wider diameter then the throw out bearing on the LS1 transmission. That is why I migrated to the idea of just using a LS1 Clutch Kit, but unfortunately it doesn't mate to a LT1 engine.
I have a call to a local Clutch Shop that does custom flywheels so that my LS Pressure Plate can mount to it and still work with an LT, however I am not hopeful. I am just trying to avoid converting the LS tranny back to an LT one or an LS engine swap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Global Moderator

Why didn't you just buy a lt1 t-56 transmission? The conversion would have been strictly bolt on. Now you'll have so much money into the swap that you could have just sold your lt1 car and bought a ls1 car if the ls1 t-56 is what you wanted.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

The LS1 transmission was acquired brand new for $500, this was before the swap was ever in mind. I am asking about a specific question and that is what I would like to discuss, not the fact that I can just go buy another car. Thank you for the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement