Help: LT1 Hard Start, Miss, and backfiring problems. - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Help: LT1 Hard Start, Miss, and backfiring problems.

Hi,
New to the LT1, but not a typical SBC. I bought my second F-body car for $2750 a few days ago (First was an 85 camaro that was junk from the beginning). I bought it knowing it had a miss, but I drove it home anyways. It's a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula M6, with a catless exhaust and some cheap looking ebay intake. When I cold start it, usually takes about 10 seconds to start and fluttering of the throttle. Common or unusual? Next when it does finally run, you can definetly tell it has a miss, rev it, it backfires. Now driving it down the road it hiccups and backfires. Even throughout the entire RPM range. The previous owner said he put a new a optispark, new plug wires and new plugs in. Upon closer inspection, everything looks brand new, I also noticed a bad intake elbow, probably caused by the backfiring. I also removed the plugs for inspection. #3 cylinder doesn't seem to be firing, all covered in black from a rich condition. I still have yet to check the passenger side too. Hopefully all is firing there.

The car also had an 02 gauge wired in also. When it hesitated in 6th gear while in cruise, trying to go uphill it would blow out black smoke. I disconnected the gauge, but no luck and didn't help anything. While it was hesitating, the gauge read dead lean, but was blowing out a black smokescreen like a james bond car !

So...ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
Ben
Halucinator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Regular Member
 
mtperformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,563
 
I would check the intake piping for leaks or maybe a vacuum leak but it sounds like to much air .If all else fails try replacing the o2's not a bad idea anyways
mtperformance is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Ok, I talked to the previous owner tonight. Seems though he didn't change the opti or cap and rotor. All he changed was the Plugs and the coil. That didn't help obviously. The wires also look in really good shape. So I might be pulling the water pump and checking the cap and rotor. Also, I noticed that my intake elbow is shot to complete Hell. Looks like the backfiring did its number to it.
Thanks,
Ben
Halucinator is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Regular Member
 
mtperformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,563
 
You might just want to get an opti but that intake needs to be fixed asap or it will screw up your maf.
mtperformance is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtperformance View Post
You might just want to get an opti but that intake needs to be fixed asap or it will screw up your maf.
I'll probably just remove my MAF and bring it inside the house so it don't get messed up.
Halucinator is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Regular Member
 
DJ_Kovacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba,
Posts: 318
 
If you have a backfire through the INTAKE, then something is horribly wrong with the VALVE timing. The stock elbows have a tendancy to break right at the connection to the T/B, I dont think it would "blow out" from a intake backfire, so if its torn, replace that first.
If you have a EXHAUST backfire, and not just the typical LT1 exhaust "pop" then scan for codes, and look into your complete ignition.
get some o2's as well, with proper extensions, if thats what you need. Obviously, somebody hacked the hell out of the old ones.
BTW, your torn elbow can cause most of these symptoms

Last edited by DJ_Kovacs; 09-21-2007 at 10:56 AM.
DJ_Kovacs is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Kovacs View Post
If you have a backfire through the INTAKE, then something is horribly wrong with the VALVE timing. The stock elbows have a tendancy to break right at the connection to the T/B, I dont think it would "blow out" from a intake backfire, so if its torn, replace that first.
If you have a EXHAUST backfire, and not just the typical LT1 exhaust "pop" then scan for codes, and look into your complete ignition.
get some o2's as well, with proper extensions, if thats what you need. Obviously, somebody hacked the hell out of the old ones.
BTW, your torn elbow can cause most of these symptoms
Yea, but would a torn elbow cause just a misfire in only cylinder 3? Thats what I'm wondering because its not firing at all it seems. Plug all black and sooty from a rich condition but does not smell of gas, but all the other plugs have white showing. Also, they didn't hack the hell out of the o2 wire, just spliced into one cleanly with what looks like came with the auto meter 02 gauge kit. Thanks for the help though guys! Also, the torn elbow probably would contribute to my hard starting condition.
Halucinator is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 165
 
Send a message via AIM to RatedZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halucinator View Post
Hi,
New to the LT1, but not a typical SBC. I bought my second F-body car for $2750 a few days ago (First was an 85 camaro that was junk from the beginning). I bought it knowing it had a miss, but I drove it home anyways. It's a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula M6, with a catless exhaust and some cheap looking ebay intake. When I cold start it, usually takes about 10 seconds to start and fluttering of the throttle. Common or unusual? Next when it does finally run, you can definetly tell it has a miss, rev it, it backfires. Now driving it down the road it hiccups and backfires. Even throughout the entire RPM range. The previous owner said he put a new a optispark, new plug wires and new plugs in. Upon closer inspection, everything looks brand new, I also noticed a bad intake elbow, probably caused by the backfiring. I also removed the plugs for inspection. #3 cylinder doesn't seem to be firing, all covered in black from a rich condition. I still have yet to check the passenger side too. Hopefully all is firing there.

The car also had an 02 gauge wired in also. When it hesitated in 6th gear while in cruise, trying to go uphill it would blow out black smoke. I disconnected the gauge, but no luck and didn't help anything. While it was hesitating, the gauge read dead lean, but was blowing out a black smokescreen like a james bond car !

So...ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
Ben
My engine did this when I blew a head gasket. I wasn't getting any smoke out of the tail pipes, but it would be very difficult to start, when it did start it would miss like crazy, and it would also backfire like crazy.

I didn't notice any power loss, but just symptoms such as the ones you're describing.

-Dan
1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
www.topspeedautogroup.com
RatedZ is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Yea, its not a head gasket, I would notice it overheating or at least spewing of some white smoke out the tailpipe, or at least have water in my oil.
Halucinator is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Regular Member
 
DJ_Kovacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba,
Posts: 318
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halucinator View Post
Yea, but would a torn elbow cause just a misfire in only cylinder 3? Thats what I'm wondering because its not firing at all it seems. Plug all black and sooty from a rich condition but does not smell of gas, but all the other plugs have white showing. Also, they didn't hack the hell out of the o2 wire, just spliced into one cleanly with what looks like came with the auto meter 02 gauge kit. Thanks for the help though guys! Also, the torn elbow probably would contribute to my hard starting condition.
Did you check to see if it is actually a dead cylinder? or do you just think it is?
Black and sooty could also mean leaky seals/rings, which isnt all that uncommon. put the plug in the boot, fire up the car, and ground the plug to metal, if the arc jumps then your golden, if not, then you check further in. Its actually good if it doesnt smell too much like gas, because if it did, that might indicate a dead plug. (gas is just loading up)
The torn elbow will cause a harder start, because some of the air is not being metered by the MAF. You should get that fixed.
Scan for codes. That will tell you alot
DJ_Kovacs is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,274
 
I have a elbow brand new if you need it,30.00 plus shipping

Just a little lt1.....020 over speed pro pistons,comp custom cam,comp push rods,comp 1.6 rrs,and lifters,cnc stock ported heads,Walbro 255,edelbrock ported air gap intake,58mm t/b,pacesetter Lts,Summit 2.5 x-pipe with dynomax bullets,march underdrive pulleys,gm opti,msd cap and rotor,Msd 6AL,Moore 10mm race wires,SLP line lock,SLP fan switch,aluminum D/S,Built 4l60e,TCI 3,000 stall,B&M trans cooler3.73s,Edelbrock adjustable torque arm and Panard bar.more to come over the winter
my1994z28 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 165
 
Send a message via AIM to RatedZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halucinator View Post
Yea, its not a head gasket, I would notice it overheating or at least spewing of some white smoke out the tailpipe, or at least have water in my oil.
Here's the funny thing. My car didn't overheat with the blown head gasket.

-Dan
1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
www.topspeedautogroup.com
RatedZ is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Kovacs View Post
Did you check to see if it is actually a dead cylinder? or do you just think it is?
Black and sooty could also mean leaky seals/rings, which isnt all that uncommon. put the plug in the boot, fire up the car, and ground the plug to metal, if the arc jumps then your golden, if not, then you check further in. Its actually good if it doesnt smell too much like gas, because if it did, that might indicate a dead plug. (gas is just loading up)
The torn elbow will cause a harder start, because some of the air is not being metered by the MAF. You should get that fixed.
Scan for codes. That will tell you alot
Alright, tried taking it out today, I fixed the intake elbow temporarily and its still hard starting. I came back home, its seems pretty hot outside, even with the 160 thermostat (previous owner), it looks like it started to overheat!!! Well I got back home after having it running and bam it dies in the driveway. Stalled completely out, now it won't even start. So what I'm gonna do tonight is drain all the coolant, remove the pump and optispark and do a thorough inspection of the opti, cap and rotor. I'm sure its not that bad of a job to do, people just bitch about it. Any things you guys suggest I should do while I have it apart?
Halucinator is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
 
Alright, I broke down and tore it apart after it died in the driveway. It was definetly the optispark. Looked like someone was in there before and messed up the Sensor wheel. There are fingerprints all over the disc and its bent to all hell. Doesn't help that the shaft has some play in it, that might of also screwed it up. So I'm in the market now for a new distributor. MSD or OEM? What about the Jegs cheap distributor?
Halucinator is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 165
 
Send a message via AIM to RatedZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halucinator View Post
Alright, I broke down and tore it apart after it died in the driveway. It was definetly the optispark. Looked like someone was in there before and messed up the Sensor wheel. There are fingerprints all over the disc and its bent to all hell. Doesn't help that the shaft has some play in it, that might of also screwed it up. So I'm in the market now for a new distributor. MSD or OEM? What about the Jegs cheap distributor?
Stay away from cheap distributors. In the case of the optispark, the OEM one is still the best, even though other reputable aftermarket companies such as MSD and Accel are in the business of making them.

-Dan
1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
www.topspeedautogroup.com
RatedZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome