1995 Trans am motor swap from 1994 corvette zr1 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
1995 Trans am motor swap from 1994 corvette zr1

We jest bought a 1995 Trans am with a blown motor. I think I want to do a swap to the zr1 motor.

Witch I believe is called the lt5?.

A friend of mine has a 1994 corvette zr1 that was totaled about 2 years ago. The motor still runs but I'm not sure if it's worth the swap.

So I gees to start has this been done before and what will I need to conplet the swap

We have built a few hot rods but most from hand me downs
If we do this build it will be diferant that's why we want to try this swap
Matt

Last edited by Youngmattg; 03-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:41 PM

I'm not 100% sure this swap has been done before into an F body. However, I am locked into this thread now.

Would you guys consider selling this lT5 engine?
Pics ?

We used to own a Zr1 vette with the LT5. Imho from what I remember it " looked " larger than the Lt1.

I think Tim the tool man threw one in an Impala .

Last edited by Workman; 02-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I know the motor is an over head cam motor so it dose look larger that is also one of my concerns i don't think we want to sell the motor yet but maybe if it will not work we will
Matt

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM

The rarity of the LT5 and replacement parts make it a real expensive proposition (that is, if it fits).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I know but we jest want something diferant that you don't see often or at all so trying to see if anyone has done it and as said IF THE LT5 will fit
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 AM

That would be awesome and one of a kind if you were able to do this swap! I have a feeling the intake is taller on the Lt5 so this swap may require a cowl hood. I know gm had to raise the hoods on the LS1 cars because the intake is taller than the Lt1.

And like shoebox said i've also heard that parts are really hard to come by on these motors.

110k, Bright Red, Hard top, Moroso cold air, Trick flow ceramic intake elbow, SLP 3" Y pipe, Random tech high flow cat, Borla adjustable cat back with DHM cutout, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Summit polished diff cover, March crank pulley, V8 shock tower brace, core shifter/billet hurst, Sway bars, Hotchkis lower control arms, welded subframe connectors, lakewood drive shaft loop, non cracked dash
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Yah y'all are right about that I don't Keon if the intake will fit under the firewall as there is only like 2 inches on top of the lt1.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:31 PM

So I talked to my friend today that's had several Ltx camaros and corvettes and he told me that the LT5 and LT1 are the exact same height because they sit exactly the same in a C4 corvette.

110k, Bright Red, Hard top, Moroso cold air, Trick flow ceramic intake elbow, SLP 3" Y pipe, Random tech high flow cat, Borla adjustable cat back with DHM cutout, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Summit polished diff cover, March crank pulley, V8 shock tower brace, core shifter/billet hurst, Sway bars, Hotchkis lower control arms, welded subframe connectors, lakewood drive shaft loop, non cracked dash
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
That is good to know I will be dining so me seeing this week end and hope it will all work out but I have to get the 94 back on the road first
Matt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM

Well if it doesn't I unfortunately own a corvette and it would be nice to have an LT5 under the hood........just sayin......
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM

The zr1 c4 corvette is 3" wider than the regular coupe . " Just a cool fact.
Also yes you can swap an LT5 into a manual corvette coupe (LT1 car) but preferably a manual only. There's been maybe 3 or 4 auto conversions and you have to know how to get the right parts for that setup.
However the LT5 engine, I believe is Wider than the LT1. I think that may be the problem.

O.P. would you post the dimensions of your LT5 so we have them for future reference?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Yes I will post the demolitions of the motor so it may help someone else in the future.

I jest have to ask as a Vette and bird lover what is so unfortunate of being a corvette owner
Matt
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 PM

I would have to say the constant testing. People seem to look at corvettes a little differently. I get alot of stuck up asses when I drive the vette. Especially other vette owners. The C5 owners are always like, " You only have a slow C4 " . The C6 owners are like, " You couldn't afford a C5 " . And the C7 owners don't even acknowledge your existence .
When I drive my Trans Am I don't get that. I just get alot of people wanting to race haha. But I love My C4. The handling is better then my BMW. The acceleration of the 3,250 pound chasis is insane. I feel like I'm in a rocket ship when I roll into it and out of it.

I really hope you stick around, I would love to see / help you get that LT5 in that vette. I know there are better engines out there, but this is just too cool. I would love to drop an LT5 in my vette. But I couldn't justify pulling my LT1 with only 49k miles
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I took some measurements and I may not be exactly right but this is close as the motor is still in the Vette but at the widest point it looks to be around 26.5in and about the same long and tall but I will get better mesherments after we get the motor out of the Vette and ready to go in the bird but this looks like it may be a bigger project than I thought but we want it.
Matt

Last edited by Youngmattg; 03-21-2017 at 09:13 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Jest a short update the lt5 swap has been put on hold again the 1994 bird caught fire yesterday electrical fire. It burned all the wiring under the hood fues box Conputer you can gees. As my first true build as a no hand me down hotrod I want to get it back on the road so either we will be swapping everything over to the 1995 or the 1967 Camaro that has been in building for 17+ years.
As for the lt5 swap we have not touched it sence we took the rough mesherments. The zr1 is still siting in his back yard where it has been.

Last edited by Youngmattg; 03-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement