P1351 ICM CirHighVoltage (seems to be unsolvable) - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #1

Dynotuned96z Apprentice Level Tech III
Default P1351 ICM CirHighVoltage (seems to be unsolvable)

Posted this on every LT1 related forum I could find.

1996 M6 Camaro Z28

Alright, I have had this problem for about 4 months now if not more, the engine itself has 20k on it, and I put it in myself. All ignition parts are brand new, heres a list of the new parts:

ICM Module
Optispark
MSD Coil
Plugs
Plug Wires
MAP Sensor
CKP (replaced when engine was built)
Optispark Wire Harness Connector
Eng Temp Sensor

The car has alot of vibration when running (from the stumbling at all rpms) and basically runs like crap and backfires/misfires horribly, doesnt overheat or nothin like that, but when I floor it, doesnt wanna go rite away and will pickup some but the rpm's dont climb quick like they use too. I have 2 96/T-56 PCM's and 1 is stock with stock knock module and the other is tuned for the 360ci LT1 (rebuilt to this 388) and has LT4 knock module. Timing chain is the only other concern, was on the motor when I got the car, had 15k, was used in the 360 for about 20k and is currently used in this motor for 20k so far, so a total of about 60k on the chain. I spun the crank hub off not too long ago and had to put a helicoil in the crank and buy a new aftermarket keyed hub from Powerbond I belive it was.

Recent info: Had the car scanned, it has only the P1351 present now, replaced the wiring harness with one I got from a local guy, everything was in tact, low mileage, all connectors were there. Now I know its 1 in a million if I found a harness that would have the same prob so Im going to rule that out + the guy had no problems out of it when it was pulled, the car didnt have a motor cuz he pulled it. I need to know everything related to this code, this is a battle that I dont think I will ever win. Ive gotten to the point of just replacing parts because it has stumped me. P1351 is also suppose to disable the injectors, and it shouldnt start nor run, but it does. Taken it to a couple of shops, they looked at it for awhile and still didnt know what the problem was and I basically handed them free money.

I need any and all input as to what yall would think could be causing this, I think its something else triggering it that isnt suppose to, as in a problem that is setting off the wrong code, im really leaning toward replacing the timing chain and reluctor wheel and seeing if that dont change it all. I was counting on the new harness to stop this because it was an electrical code. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #2

nobody?

96 Z28 388 - Heads/Cam/Walbro Pump/42#/Adj Regulator/12.1:1/GMP Timing/Lifters/CC468/Pushrods/1.6RR/Springs/Oil Pan/HV Pump/LT's/X-Pipe/Intake/Throttle Body/Shifter/TR55IX/K&N/Wires/Coil/Underdrive/ES Mounts/MAF/Ram Air/LCA Relo/!CATS/!AC/!AIR/!EGR/TB Bypass/480HP+/-
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
I'm watching you....

BLK WS6 Apprentice Level Tech III

Its hard to say. I am sure you check the timing chain for correct alignment....and I'm sure the opti was installed correctly....the car was properly tuned for the increase in fuel right? Bigger injectors+ adj. fuel reg...Have you talked to how ever did your tune?

Tuning is for the birds...

Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #4

the car is actually not tuned for this engine but was running fine, ive got the 42# injectors waiting to be installed, but its not running bad because of that, Ive had this code for about 4 months and the first 2-3 months i didnt really have any driveability problems but Im thinkin the code isnt causing the horrible performance, but maybe the o2 sensors because if the code was causing it to run leaner or richer it would kill the o2's pretty quickly, think i could test this by unplugging them and seeing if it runs a little better, but it will be dumping fuel. I still have a misfire though and it does backfire from time to time. Thanks

only thing I have good to say about the car is that i paid it off today.

96 Z28 388 - Heads/Cam/Walbro Pump/42#/Adj Regulator/12.1:1/GMP Timing/Lifters/CC468/Pushrods/1.6RR/Springs/Oil Pan/HV Pump/LT's/X-Pipe/Intake/Throttle Body/Shifter/TR55IX/K&N/Wires/Coil/Underdrive/ES Mounts/MAF/Ram Air/LCA Relo/!CATS/!AC/!AIR/!EGR/TB Bypass/480HP+/-
Old 08-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
I'm watching you....

BLK WS6 Apprentice Level Tech III

Well........

car looks good and its paid for +2

Tuning is for the birds...

Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #6

lol thanks.......... but id rather have a car that runs good haha.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #7

Replaced the o2's, made some homemade extensions off of the old wiring harness + old o2 sensors and hooked them up, car still runs a little rough, I can hear the miss in it and It would barely wanna go before but when i replaced them, the car broke the tires loose, and launched pretty nice on the new nittos i just got (before the car went to shit) but there's still a miss and runs rough, but were making progress, tires broke loose, good sign.

Next: Planning to pull timing cover, replace timing chain and sprockets and since im down there, messing with the opti again. I have ways of getting stuff replaced free......... thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #8

puff user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynotuned96z View Post
Replaced the o2's, made some homemade extensions off of the old wiring harness + old o2 sensors and hooked them up, car still runs a little rough, I can hear the miss in it and It would barely wanna go before but when i replaced them, the car broke the tires loose, and launched pretty nice on the new nittos i just got (before the car went to shit) but there's still a miss and runs rough, but were making progress, tires broke loose, good sign.

Next: Planning to pull timing cover, replace timing chain and sprockets and since im down there, messing with the opti again. I have ways of getting stuff replaced free......... thanks
I'd like some free stuff.. dang
Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Have you tried hooking it up to a scanner and checking the read outs while its running? You could compare your readings to the normal readings listed in the f-body repair manual, you do have one don't you. That would be a good start to diagnosing your problem or problems. Also do a visual check of wiring connections and check for good grounds, theres a bunch of them, again they are listed in repair manual.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #10

Darksides Callin' user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Is it possible the cam went flat? We just had a Blazer come in with a roller 350, and the cam wiped both lobes on #5, and had a lot of other damage starting to show. He'd been running Castrol Syntec... Pistons are scored, bearings are wiped, and the cam went. Motor had about 40K on it, and it's junk. I'm not impressed
Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

my1994z28 Apprentice Level Tech III

I would hope he got the problem resolved,since this post is over 3yrs old
Just a little lt1.....020 over speed pro pistons,comp custom cam,comp push rods,comp 1.6 rrs,and lifters,cnc stock ported heads,Walbro 255,edelbrock ported air gap intake,58mm t/b,pacesetter Lts,Summit 2.5 x-pipe with dynomax bullets,march underdrive pulleys,gm opti,msd cap and rotor,Msd 6AL,Moore 10mm race wires,SLP line lock,SLP fan switch,aluminum D/S,Built 4l60e,TCI 3,000 stall,B&M trans cooler3.73s,Edelbrock adjustable torque arm and Panard bar.more to come over the winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement