How to plug Smog (AIR) ports in exhaust manifolds - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #1

Ditchwizard user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default How to plug Smog (AIR) ports in exhaust manifolds

We are putting a '95 Camaro LT1 into a '86 Monte Carlo SS. While I was going to retain the engine in factory condition for the initial swap, I have found moving the A/C compressor from the passingers' side to the drivers's side of the engine with a Bowers Rod Shop relocation bracket kit to be a better alternative to notching the frame and fabbing a right engine mount. However, the Bowers bracket sits in the area of the factory AIR pump, so we have decided to delete the pump and lines. But, I am having no luck finding a set of threaded plugs to plug up the holes left in the manifolds. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Someone told me to look around bigger auto parts stores for a large metric oil drain plug for a ricer, but so far I haven't found a large enough plug......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #2

LearJet user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I would plug them by installing headers that didn't have AIR/EGR fittings.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #3

mtperformance Apprentice Level Tech I

You can use headers for a regular gen 1 sbc on the LT1 just use the header gaskets that come with the headers or upgrade to copper or whatever you like . But if you want to use the manifolds I think they are pipe thread so maybe a trip to the hardwarestore is the answer.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
CKJ

I wanna say its a 22mm plug.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #5

ProjektNitemare Apprentice Level Tech III

go to a menards or somewhere that has threaded rod, use a pitch gauge etc to get the right diameter and pitch or just bring in the little section of pipe with the nut on it to the store. then cut the length of rod flush with the hole and use some thead sealer or gasket sealer in the threads just to make sure its sealed.
95 Z28 w/95 Corvette LT1: .060" Over. 11.1:1 Compression. Arizona Speed & Marine Headers, and CAI. Flowmaster 3" Cat-Back Converter Delete. 160 Thermostat. Hypertech Programmer. Underdrive Pulleys. SPEC Stage II Clutch. B&M Short Throw Shifter. 315/35-17 Goodyears on Black Grand Sport Rims. UMI Shock Tower Brace, Adjustable LCA's and Panhard Bar. 4.10:1 Rear Gears w/Eaton Posi.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #6

Black93Z Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Black93Z Send a message via MSN to Black93Z Send a message via Yahoo to Black93Z

or take the easier route go by napa and ask for a brake fitting thats 3/4 i think ask for however many you need and install em, i cant remember if its 3/4 or 7/8 but it is standard. or take in the fitting from the line that plugs into the manifold and ask for a fitting thats plugged, thats like the fitting from the manifold
Sex is like math: you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you dont multiply!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #7

hardline_42 Tradesman Level Tech I

The size plug you want is M22X1.5
406 Mouse/ Scat Crank/ 6" Rods/ Fully ported 2.02/1.6 Vortec heads/ Comp Cams XE284 K-Kit/ Canton Racing road-racing oil pan/ Ported Edelbrock Vortec RPM/Edelbrock 750CFM/ Hooker Sidepipes/ Full-Manual 4L80E/ 12-bolt 3.73 Posi/ C5 Z06 wheels/ C6 Z51 brakes

'93 Z28 5.7L LT1
Canton Racing Oil Pan/ PA Racing K-Member/ UMI SFC's/UMI STB/ 17x9.5/18x10.5 C5 Z06 wheels/ 275/40-17 & 285/35-18 Falken FK-452's/ MAC Mid-Lengths/ LPE CAI
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #8

Ditchwizard user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Hardline 42 got it. It is a M22X1.5 metric, and the easy fix is to go to your local auto parts store and get 2 replacement oil drain plugs for a '94 to '01 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge Truck with the Cummins Diesel engine.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
Founder

My Facebook
Chris 96 WS6 Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
I wanna say its a 22mm plug.
That's correct. They are metric M22

- TNfbody.com -- Founding Member
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
CKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6 View Post
That's correct. They are metric M22
Thats the exact phrase I heard, M22, but thats been about 3 years ago when I heard that. Didn't want to speak too soon

Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #11

Black93Z Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Black93Z Send a message via MSN to Black93Z Send a message via Yahoo to Black93Z

the ones i got were standard and fit exactly, worked great, maybe its the earlier LT's that are standard, or maybe its kinda like other stuff metric and standard are so close together theyre basically the same
Sex is like math: you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you dont multiply!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #12

Cyamaha2007 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Cyamaha2007

i saw a guy weld his closed
Old 08-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #13

Dave00 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

With them capped and the egr tubes unplugged will you still pass the infamous smog test, for those of us in sniffer counties?
AFR190's, Lloyd Custom Cam and some goodies!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #14

chevy dude user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

i used a 5/8 flare cap on my pacesetters cause i wanted to keep the egr fitting. just go to a lowes or home depot in their plumbing section. thats where i found them.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #15

LearJet user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...QQcmdZViewItem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement