LS1LT1 Forum banner

will EGR failure cause these symptoms?

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  fbody23100 
#1 ·
My 95 firebird formula has had a weird stumble issue between 1200-1800 rpms around 48mph. below 48mph it drives fine at or above that speed if i press on the accelerator rpm dont budge but i hear the engine speed up until about 50% throttle then it will jump to about 2k rpm and drive fine.....if i let off the gas while its doing this the car will stumble and jerk a little. now after i got my ALDL cable in the mail i hooked up my laptop with the 94-95 scan program and only DTC it pulled was code 32-EGR failure. would this egr failure cause my symptoms or should i look else where? after i get my issue fixed i plan on installing headers so i will probably end up deleting the egr anyways so i would hate to replace it just to chase this problem.

#2 ·
Since you have scan9495 and a cable, don't just rely on codes. Do arunning sensor data scan and see what the data has to say.

You can also use the engine actuator tests to make sure all the actuators are up to par.

If sensor data confuses you, you can upload the sensor data you saved to a file sharing site. Then link it back to forum so members can help you analyze the data.

#3 ·
I did a running scan with a buddy driving while I watched the live scan when the issue would happen nothing seemed out of place. When ever I try to replay the data it pops up with index error so I cant rewatch it. I'll try to upload it though. I may be missing something

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
For any operational problems with scan9495, PM GaryDoug who wrote the program. He can help you.

Normal O2 operation has them wildly fluctuating in the signal value. 450mv is the center line, O2 reading should be above and below the 450mv center on a regular basis.

If O2's are sluggish or stay on one reading for long periods, there's a problem.

Also don't think egr should be 100% at low rpm. You can test the egr system with scan9495. It should be one of the actuator tests. What will be tested is the solenoid valve that controls the egr.

And before going out to buy an egr valve, remember that wiring, connectors, or solenoid itself could be causing the code.

If you would download the 95 service manual there's a driveability & emissions section to help you. Manual in sticky threads of 4th gen section. Code 32 starts on page 6E3-A-70 .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.