Best cam for LS1 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LS1 | LS6 | LS2 | LS3 |LS7 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

cmallen29 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Best cam for LS1

what is the best recommended cam for ls1 99 camaro???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Supporting Member

SOMSS Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to SOMSS

What do you want it to do? Do you want the most hp? Do you want a strong daily driver? There is no one best cam, that is up to you to decide. First make a list of what you want out of the cam. Then call Comp Cams and they will tell you which cam suites your needs.
Remember there are associated costs with a cam change. You might need new valve springs, you will need a custom tune. Figure at least $1100 for just the cam change. Keep in mind that if you have no other mods like a lid, cat back, headers the cam will not perform to it's max potential. These things all must work together so as not to create a bottleneck in the air flow.

2001 Camaro SS- 6spd T-Tops, Neutral Leather, 1SD options, ASR.
MODS: Dart Pro heads, custom cam. BMR - SFC,TA,STB. UMI- LCA, Adj. PHR. K&N FIPK, SLP- MAS, Smooth Belows, Koni SA's, Ground Control Coil-Overs, Pro 5.0 shifter, Kooks LT's. Corsa Exhaust,T/A Girdle, C5 ZO6 brakes, Goodridge SS brake lines. MSD 8.5mm Wires, Racetronix fuel pump. Ported TB, Forged bottom end, balanced and blueprinted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

cmallen29 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

A strong daily driver, ive been rocommended a patriot cam 230/232/112 . My ls1 is stock just 3.73 gears , stock 6speed transmission ,slp lid and weld rims. What do you recommend???
Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmallen29 View Post
A strong daily driver, ive been rocommended a patriot cam 230/232/112 . My ls1 is stock just 3.73 gears , stock 6speed transmission ,slp lid and weld rims. What do you recommend???
I would recommend a MagnaFlow cat back, and a cam in the neighborhood of 224/228 585/585 duration and a 114 LSA, and a good tune. Without the supporting mods you will not see the gains you would expect.
My 220/224 585/585 114 LSA with Dart Pro Heads pulled 470 RWHP with only 100 miles on the engine.

MODS: Dart Pro heads, custom cam. BMR - SFC,TA,STB. UMI- LCA, Adj. PHR. K&N FIPK, SLP- MAS, Smooth Belows, Koni SA's, Ground Control Coil-Overs, Pro 5.0 shifter, Kooks LT's. Corsa Exhaust,T/A Girdle, C5 ZO6 brakes, Goodridge SS brake lines. MSD 8.5mm Wires, Racetronix fuel pump. Ported TB, Forged bottom end, balanced and blueprinted.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

Build your car first! You need to be able to support and use the power, otherwise you're wasting it. Bring your intake, exhaust, and suspension up to par first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMSS View Post
My 220/224 585/585 114 LSA with Dart Pro Heads pulled 470 RWHP with only 100 miles on the engine.
470 rear wheel hp out of that small of a cam NA?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
Supporting Member

"470 rear wheel hp out of that small of a cam NA?"

Yup, build it right and it will make power. TEC degreed the cam, raised the compression ratio to 11.5:1, then they balanced/blueprinted the engine, clutch with flywheel. I also had to remove the cat as they were toast, creating excessive back pressure. With the tune tweaked slightly, only 100 miles on the engine it pulled 470 RWHP and 465 RWTQ.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Rob

Rob Apprentice Level Tech III

The beauty of a small cam....torque. I'm running a 220/224 FTI cam in my GTO and it makes just as much as the Comp 228/232 cam did and a ton more torque. Not to mention easier to tune and better driveability. Not making that much in mine but I'm still running cats and stock cat back and only LS6 heads, I'm making very close to the numbers in your sig.

To the OP, do some hard thinking of what your realistic goals are for the car. That will tell you where to go with the cam and what mods you need to do to support it.
96 WS6(sold)
Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Runs with scissors

SOM,
Still running stock cubes? If so, very impressive. Your builder and tuner have magic hands. That definately is not the norm.

Rob,
Larger cams make more horsepower than a smaller cam. Horsepower is a funtion of torque {HP = (tq x RPM)/ 5252} so bigger cams must make more torque to make more HP. The difference is the curve. Larger cams move the power band up in the RPM range. What you're experiencing isn't more torque, but a torque curve that comes in at a lower RPM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed4Speed View Post
What you're experiencing isn't more torque, but a torque curve that comes in at a lower RPM.
Wrong. I think I can look at dyno's from both cams. More peak and more useable torque is quite obvious. The bigger cam did make more peak HP but not by much and it was at a higher rpm but the latter cam made more HP until that point.

There is a lot more to cams than just published numbers.
96 WS6(sold)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Runs with scissors

Thats not based on published numbers. Thats math.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Administrator

03slowZ06 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via Yahoo to 03slowZ06

Greed4speed is correct. You can not argue with the numbers. You may peak sooner on the smaller cam but in the long run the bigger cam is going to make more.
drivers side is a dream....passenger side on the other hand...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it

I am permanently banned from all petting zoo's for getting to friendly
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03slowZ06 View Post
Greed4speed is correct. You can not argue with the numbers. You may peak sooner on the smaller cam but in the long run the bigger cam is going to make more.
I really don't understand what you guys are getting at with my car. I had both cams and had the car dynoed at the same dyno. Overlap the curves. How do I not know what happened in my own car. Torque never dipped below the bigger cam and peaked earlier and had more torque. HP was above the bigger cam until 5600 when they crossed and the bigger cam pulled 10hp more at peak vs peak.

It runs better than the old cam, makes more power than the old cam, and is quicker down the track than the old cam. So you are right, can't argue with numbers.
96 WS6(sold)
Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

There is more than just the cam though, heads and what not.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
Runs with scissors

Many things can effect dyno numbers and the length of time between the runs makes the possible variance greater. Different DA, better tune, cleaner fuel filter, tire pressure, readings from sensors, Fresher plugs, and the list goes on.

Plus you also need to consider your set up. Maybe a smaller cam was more optimum for your set up, but a smaller cam making more torque is not a universal truth.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Rob

Like I said, there is more to it than numbers at .050.

Making more torque is one thing but when the baby cam makes more HP over almost the entire band, that means something.

As far as dyno numbers go, the cams I've run with the heads I have, produced the usual numbers that others have gotten. It's not a fluke that EdC's "baby" cam has produced the numbers that the bigger cam produced, others have seen the exact same thing.

Bigger isn't always better.
96 WS6(sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement