Changing spark plugs - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LS1 | LS6 | LS2 | LS3 |LS7 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Want2Build user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Changing spark plugs

Today i'm off from work and tomorrow too, and decided to change my spark plugs. I have heard from so many people that "changing the first 7 plugs are a breeze, the last one is a real PITA". So i decided to start with that one first (rear passenger), and man what a bitch it is. Do i have to take anything off? How in the hell do i reach it? I cant even get the boot off the plug. Is there some kinda trick to it? I had to take a break from it because i am about ready to throw something at my neighbors dog who keeps coming into my garage while i'm grunting and straining with getting the damned boot off the plug. If theres a trick let me know before i go off on something or somebody!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

cpg5386 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Just did this last week myself. If you want to go down through the top your going to have to take off your coil packs. If you want to go up through the bottom your going to need a 3/8 swivel, and a few mix and match extensions. A swivel head ratchet helped a lot also. Either way (I tried both and finally succeeded through the top) is an absolute pain in the ass and will require patience, band-aids, and beer. Best of luck.
1999 Pontiac Trans AM. 6-speed. Performance: FAST 102 IM, NW TB, Hooker Super Comp LT's, Comp CAMS Top End, Improved Racing Pan Baffle, Full UMI suspension, Borla Cat-back. Cosmetics: Hurst Short Shift, Z-06 style wheels, with 1" spacers on the rears, Firebird emblem (painted).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

I'd advise removing the coil packs either way. Just for the extra room. When you reinstall them, don't worry about putting in the last couple of bolts under the cowl. Makes it easier the next time and it won't hurt anything.

I got #8 from the bottom. Its easier with headers too.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #4

I have looked into relocating the coil packs. Is this a good idea or potential nightmare? I like how it cleans up the top of the motor, but i am left asking one question. Where in the hell do i relocate them to? The top of the fenderwell? The fire wall(which is littered enough)?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

Greed4Speed-LoL You should have said "It's impossible without removing the coil packs!". The coils packs too were a chore for me since my stepson lost my only 15/32 deepwell socket. So after i got the coilpacks off (with a set of slip-joint pliers), I had room....could almost reach my arm in there! But i did get ALL of the plugs changed and everything is back to normal. Thanks a bunch for the tip(s).
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #6

Z28power user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

What do you have? LS1 or LT1
LT1 i know for sure is a bitch. Its first on on the pass side under the alt. Remove it the Batt and the starter along with the y pipe and it should be access. Not easy even then but with small hands and long arms it can be got. I never felt like it but after i did it i was very very satisfied. Whoever changed them before me left them to hit and rub against the wheel on the smog/power steering causeing the wires to go bad. This will make loss of power and sluggush/backfiring takeoffs. That dang one on the D.side in the back had never been changed. ORG plug wire was still in the heat cover. That one was a ass too!!!!!! It took me 6hrs for my first time and i can honestly say i would do it again if needed.

Last edited by Z28power; 09-10-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #7

Z28power user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Remove the batt,alt,y pipe,starter,Belt,tensioner for belt. They make a shorty spark plug tool if you have headers. If not then just take off the starter and the y pipe. Use a wrench on the back of the plugsocket. Cant use a ratchet cause not enough room. Hold the plugsocket on the plug with left hand,and just simply turn it with the wrench with right hand from underneath the car.. I took off the Alt to run the wires and get them run right you will need to remove it.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Runs with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Build View Post
Greed4Speed-LoL You should have said "It's impossible without removing the coil packs!". The coils packs too were a chore for me since my stepson lost my only 15/32 deepwell socket. So after i got the coilpacks off (with a set of slip-joint pliers), I had room....could almost reach my arm in there! But i did get ALL of the plugs changed and everything is back to normal. Thanks a bunch for the tip(s).
I can get to mine w/the packs on, its just easier with them off.

Try a 10mm socket.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Runs with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28power View Post
Remove the batt,alt,y pipe,starter,Belt,tensioner for belt. They make a shorty spark plug tool if you have headers. If not then just take off the starter and the y pipe. Use a wrench on the back of the plugsocket. Cant use a ratchet cause not enough room. Hold the plugsocket on the plug with left hand,and just simply turn it with the wrench with right hand from underneath the car.. I took off the Alt to run the wires and get them run right you will need to remove it.
Might as well pull the engine to change the plugs if you're doing all that extra removing.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #10

Z28 power mine is an LS1. I removed the passenger side coil and disconnected the pvc hose. The one obstacle was the damned EGR pipe that runs in there...that bastard wont budge. I probably could have got all the plugs without removing the packs, but that rear passenger would have to have been retrieved from underneath. Either way, that chore is done and i wont have to fool with it for 100K miles. Greed4Speed yes, a 10 mm deepwell would have been ideal, but all of my metric sockets have been shuffled around and or lost, and of course my stepson has no clue how they got lost. Maybe i should buy me a new set of sockets and keep them in a banks security deposit box.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Runs with scissors

I wouldn't go 100k between plug changes. Ya, it'll still run, but they do degrade costing you power and efficiency.

Slap some headers on there. It makes the job much easier. Its been so long since I had EGR on mine I forgot about that junk.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #12

Waiting to get headers for the 408.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #13
Runs with scissors

Why wait? You know you want them and you can reuse them on the 408....

You know you have a voice in your head saying this too... Hahaha.

On a side note. I noticed you're in Houston and I grew up down there. What shop are you using for your 408 build?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #14

Really its through my cousin in Livingston. He knows someone who builds engines and loves building 408. The guy usually only builds 500+ci drag applications, but loves building street engines in late model cars. He also guarantees his engines (for a limited period of time of course) as long as he does the install and first tune. I trust it because my cousin has a pro street 454SS Silverado with a 1200+HP 562 with a 300 shot. So i am going to wait for the headers when they drop the 408. Yes i do want the headers, but the more money i drop in my car now, the long it will take to build the money for the 408. (AND I'M DYING!) I cant recall the name of the company, I was just told "when yer ready....i'll give him a call...but have yer checkbook ready".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement