spark plugs - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LS1 | LS6 | LS2 | LS3 |LS7 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #1

spydog user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default spark plugs

hi guys i finaly decided to change my sparg plugs and wires i got a 2002 trans am ls1 whitch plug is better and wy? TR55 - NGK V-Power Spark Plugs, TR55GP - NGK G-Power Spark Plugs, or the TR55IX - NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs and also what would be a good wire to go with the plugs i was considering useing the Taylor #895-84244 THUNDERVOLT 8.2 CUSTOM 8 CYL RED is this a good choice foe wires? thanks guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #2

laux06 Apprentice Level Tech II

ive run both tr55ix and tr55 plats with no complaints, and id pass on the taylors. stick with msd for the wires.

94 formy a4, solomons tune for stuff ive done ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auIR-B0tvY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughges View Post
2+2 does not= chair.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #3

whar would i get the best deal on the tr55 plugs and on msd wires and also should i buy the SLP special spark plug socket for LS1 its supose to be easer to change spark plugs with is it worth the $30
Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

Just get plugs at a part store. I prefer copper. Yes, you have to change them more often, but copper is a better conductor.

I have ran Taylor wires for years and have had no problems with them. I've heard good and bad about both Taylor and MSD wires though. Its all in who you talk to, just like some people like Fords for some odd reason. Get which ever you get the best deal on. 8mm, 8.2mm, 8.8mm doesn't matter. Its just the thickness of the insulation. Our wires are so short even the stock wires do fine.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Yo!

My Facebook My Facebook
R3DLT1 Apprentice Level Tech III

yeah just buy the spark plugs at your local part store. I bought mine at Napa i think less than 20 dollars.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Administrator

03slowZ06 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via Yahoo to 03slowZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed4Speed View Post
Just get plugs at a part store. I prefer copper. Yes, you have to change them more often, but copper is a better conductor.

I have ran Taylor wires for years and have had no problems with them. I've heard good and bad about both Taylor and MSD wires though. Its all in who you talk to, just like some people like Fords for some odd reason. Get which ever you get the best deal on. 8mm, 8.2mm, 8.8mm doesn't matter. Its just the thickness of the insulation. Our wires are so short even the stock wires do fine.
What he said. Plain jane copper. It wears faster but it conducts better and the heat transfer out of the copper is a ton better then other plugs.
drivers side is a dream....passenger side on the other hand...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it

I am permanently banned from all petting zoo's for getting to friendly
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #7

silverbird95 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

will speak even though im a lt1 man myself.... i had a 99 and the best spark plug that didnt cause any trouble was ac delco... what ever u do dont get bosch they suck they all went out and burnted my plugs and some coil packs

but just my 2 cents
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #8

i have bosch platnum 2s in my 98 pontiac bonnaville SSE and have never had a problem with them this is my 2nd set in that car but i think i am going to go with the tr55 for my trans-am i am going to start replacing them next month when i get back home

Last edited by spydog; 07-29-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #9

94greenbandit Apprentice Level Tech III

I tried the Boschs in my camaro as well and they would just make my car stutter. Switched to the Iridum NGKs and no trouble now
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Runs with scissors

I ran the regular Bosch in my Camaro when it was bolt on and cammed. Never had a bit of trouble from them. With my current set up, I'm running NGK TR6's.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Supporting Member

SOMSS Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to SOMSS

Delco Irridiums are the OEM spec plugs, Coppers are fine if you like changing plugs! Get whatever fits your pocket. As for plug wires MSD is a sure bet, Taylors aren't bad either.

2001 Camaro SS- 6spd T-Tops, Neutral Leather, 1SD options, ASR.
MODS: Dart Pro heads, custom cam. BMR - SFC,TA,STB. UMI- LCA, Adj. PHR. K&N FIPK, SLP- MAS, Smooth Belows, Koni SA's, Ground Control Coil-Overs, Pro 5.0 shifter, Kooks LT's. Corsa Exhaust,T/A Girdle, C5 ZO6 brakes, Goodridge SS brake lines. MSD 8.5mm Wires, Racetronix fuel pump. Ported TB, Forged bottom end, balanced and blueprinted.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Runs with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMSS View Post
Delco Irridiums are the OEM spec plugs, Coppers are fine if you like changing plugs! Get whatever fits your pocket. As for plug wires MSD is a sure bet, Taylors aren't bad either.
I laugh when people post this. GM also installed Denso. Thats what mine and many others came with.

One thing to watch for when looking at platinum plugs is the platinum disk they attach to the ground. The disks have been known to fall or burn off increasing the gap. I pulled my stockers @ 28k miles to put on some Mac headers and at least half of them were missing the platinum disk. I would not use any plug that has the disk design.

Coppers don't go bad that fast either. Mine have been in for 15k miles (a year) and are still fine. I just ran a new personal best ET a couple weeks ago, but I will be pulling a few to check them soon just out of normal maintenance. I would do the same with any plug, just like I wouldn't leave Dexcool in as long as they claim it will last.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 08-01-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement