01 WS6 vs 11 Mustang 5.0 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Motorsports & Competition > Kill Stories, Smack Talk & Tall Tales

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #1

MarshallWS6 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 01 WS6 vs 11 Mustang 5.0

I've raced two 2011 Mustang 5.0s so far, 1 manual and 1 automatic. I know these cars are capable of high 12 second runs with trap speeds above 110+ mph which completely stomps what a late f-body can do. I know they aren't faster than a stock termi because my friend but more than 2 cars on one up to 130-140 mph. (Both Stock). With that in mind, here's what happen.

So the first race began in Mexico. I was in the right lane ready to take the on ramp which merges into another high way and I see a brand new 2011 5.0. So, I speed up to catch up behind him and I know he sees me in his rear view mirror because he starts to speed up. I drop my car into second gear and take the on ramp at about 45-50 mph and I was pulling him. At the end of the on ramp he guns it and so do I. I slowly start to creep up to him from behind, I switch lanes and keep pulling to his driver door at about 130 mph and he lets go of the gas. As i slow back down, he cruises by me with a pretty pissed off look, and gives me a half ass thumbs up. I motion to go again, and he refuses. It was silver with the sexy 5.0 badges. It was an automatic as well.

The second race happened in Mexico, as well. This time it was a manual. Same color. I was on the street and this old looking guy with a smirk on his face wanted to give it a go. The first time as i try lining up with him, he guns it with a half car lead and I slam the throttle. From 35-80 I was on his bumper with me slowly reeling in, he lets off. So as i move up to his door to get a better race, he punches it again....this time from 50-90 he was about a car ahead and we were dead even. As i move up to his door for the third time, he punches it again and at that point I got fed up with this moron and decided to let him go. So, with him getting the jump on me every time, he never walked me. Infact my car would stop the bleeding every time.

What do you guys think? I was surprised on the outcomes of these races. I really thought I was going to get my ass handed to me, but I guess not. Anyone else raced any coyotes yet?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #2

BoneStock95Z user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

this is really not what i was expecting to hear. I am really surprised to see that your car being mostly stock held up the way it did against the new 5.0, great job man.
95 z28 a4, 3500lbs race weight, Moroso CAI, 1LE elbow, free mods, 1.6 nsa RR, 7/16 studs, guideplates, hardened pushrods, cutout after the cat. Current 1/4 mile:13.47 @ 102.56 mph Corrected time: 13.39 @ 103.65 mph Goal:12.5 with bolt-ons.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks. Yea I was amazed as well, on paper and magazine tests show that the car is out of our league. I wonder how a full bolt on ws6 will do against a full bolt on 5.0. Twelve years old and still up to par. Thank you GM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Spelling Bee winnah!

My Facebook
xDetroitMetalx Apprentice Level Tech III

First LS1 F-Body vs new 5.0 Video I saw the LS1 beat it by a car on a roll... The ones you gotta be careful with are the manuals with 3.73 final ratios from a dig. If the driver knows how to hook he will jump you extremely hard. Anything from a roll and they won't win.

I did three rolls on a 3.73 5.0 and walked him hard when my LT1 was Cam only with 3.73s. Then we went from a dig and he jumped so hard I couldn't believe it, he had street tires as well, nothing special. An automatic I raced from a dig had no chance as I had Nitto 555Rs. With my current set up I raced a 2013 Boss on a roll, man was that guy pissed.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

whatusername user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

wonder if those mustang guys are on their forums saying they beat a ws6..

thats pretty sick tho..iv seen videos on youtube of bolt on ws6 keeping up and some beating the 5.0. i really like both cars.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

It just goes to show what some can get a car to do on the track doesn't translate to what most will do in Mehico. Vice versa too. My SS only ran a 7.2 in the 1/8, but ran with and outran other cars on the street that put down 70+ whp on a dyno.
I haven't had any issues beating the 5.0s I've raced. Then again, I shouldn't. One guy had a very sour look on his face after he got pulled by my sedan twice. The funniest was the run when I didn't get into it becuase a semi was pulling onto the road up ahead. The guy took off and hit a big bump and caught air. I caught up to him down the road and pointed and laughed.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

I wonder how they match up on a drag strip???

I wonder how i'll match up against a camaro ss.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #8

iyzak user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

lol and i was happy because my "new" 94 formula a4 w/ exhaust and ebay cai keeps beating my buddies 2004 mustang gt convertible, manual with exhaust
just because the 10 year gap in tech. i guess 69ci makes up for that lol

i guess ill come back to brang when i try against a new 5.0 although i don't think i have a better chance of them messing up and me winning then beating them fairly

but good job man best part about it all is there still and will be for awhile paying on that new 5.0
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

93formulafirebird user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Being a ford guy (dont shoot me) I can honestly see a bolt on LS1 powered Fbody running door to door or actually over taking a 5.0. mainly because well your short a few hundred pounds and have better gearing for midrange and upper areas. the 5.0 i drove would shove you in the back of your seat but really started to fall on its face up high. that suprised me with the redline being as high as it was but hey its ford, 40 years and they still cant get the thing right
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

Yea, i love mustangs. I owned one side by side my T/A. Used it as my DD. But when it started to get up in its age, it really started to fall apart....but then again...it had 188k miles on the stock motor. LOL

Well, it depends. If you are a 2001-2002 owner of a fbody, i you can beat a 5.0. WS6s are no joke. They really keep their reputation lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #11

BoneStock95Z user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

well the new 5.0's are right up with the ws6, where do the new boss 302's fall? i know theyre a good bit nastier than either but are they out of reach with ls1 full bolt ons or h/c?
95 z28 a4, 3500lbs race weight, Moroso CAI, 1LE elbow, free mods, 1.6 nsa RR, 7/16 studs, guideplates, hardened pushrods, cutout after the cat. Current 1/4 mile:13.47 @ 102.56 mph Corrected time: 13.39 @ 103.65 mph Goal:12.5 with bolt-ons.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

No idea. Check that out though.

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 First Test - Motor Trend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement