Faster Car??? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > General Tech > General Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Linson Apprentice Level Tech III
Default Faster Car???

technical opinions needed. which car would be faster?

67 Firebird
3250 lbs
LS376/525: 525 hp / 490 tq
4 spd auto

or

67 Chevelle
3600 lbs
ZZ502: 500 hp / 550 tq
3 spd auto
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

What gears, tires, rear, converter etc.? I'm guessing the hp is the rating of the crate engine, or are you talking actual numbers at the wheels?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed4Speed View Post
What gears, tires, rear, converter etc.? I'm guessing the hp is the rating of the crate engine, or are you talking actual numbers at the wheels?
Generally lets just say same-same-same for the sake of arguement. and yeah, the numbers posted are the advertised flywheel numbers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Xzauhst user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I know nothing about these two cars, but a shot in the dark tells me the firebird. Better power to weight ratio usually wins races. But that's just a blind guess. I'm curious to see if I'm right

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
1994 Camaro Z28 19x,xxx miles New LT1 and built 4L60E - K&N CAI, Elbow, Air Foil, kooks LT headers, True Duals w/ Dynomax Bullets dumped, 160° stat & fans on early, EGR & AIR delete, EWP, 255FP, ProTrorque 3200 stall, Pcm for Less tune, ET Streets 12.886 @105.12 1.779 60'
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

haaa, take it the easiest way out... race them...
traction, gear ratios, and true power would be measured at the wheels not advertised....

with this numbers i would go with the Firebird... but you might have amazing numbers on the engine and weight but without putting them to the ground is like not having them at all...
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

Same gear ratio say a 3.08, I'd guess the 502 with more torque. But if they're both rolling a steep gear the bird for the higher HP. Set up means everything. You need specifics to make anything beyond a wild guess.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

DUDBIRD113 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Depends on how well each car hooks. U can have 500hp and try to race and just be a burnout show
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #8

set-up wise, in a general sense, i just meant which would tend to be the faster car. i'm thinking 350-ish gears on the Firebirdd and 325-ish gears on the Chevelle.

i have the Firebird, a rolling chasis with new paint/body. i dont own a Chevelle but intend to get a '67 Chevelle project as soon as the right deal comes along.

my initial inclination would be to believe the Firebird would be quicker - but was not sure if all those cubes and torque would be enough to overcome the Firebird's advantages.

does that better frame the question?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
set-up wise, in a general sense, i just meant which would tend to be the faster car. i'm thinking 350-ish gears on the Firebirdd and 325-ish gears on the Chevelle.

i have the Firebird, a rolling chasis with new paint/body. i dont own a Chevelle but intend to get a '67 Chevelle project as soon as the right deal comes along.

my initial inclination would be to believe the Firebird would be quicker - but was not sure if all those cubes and torque would be enough to overcome the Firebird's advantages.

does that better frame the question?
id stand closer to the lighter car.... plus look into prices on parts, that should give you a great view on what you can do
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement