Question 2000 ss power steering whine - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > General Tech > General Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

My Facebook
SScamaro user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 2000 ss power steering whine

hey guys i have an on going... and i do mean ongoing power steering whine, its been probably a year and a half, ive put new pumps in... its not that, ive replaced every line... its not that, ive replaced the rack and pinion... its not that, ive replaced the power steering cooler guess what its not that, the only thing i have not replaced is my reservoir could it have a spider crack where it mounts into the top of the pump? letting air past the o rings? when i replaced the pump 3 times by the way luckily they called it warranty everytime i put new o rings on the reservoir each time. for the first lets say 4-5 minutes its quiet theres no air in the system, but the longer i drive it the louder it gets, and really the only place it sucks the fluid is at the top of the pump right? did i just spend way way to much money when all thats wrong is a 65 dollar power steering reservoir? any inpute is fine but it is not a turn the wheel left and right 10 time problem it gets so loud i wont drive it hardly i cannot stand it anymore, ive bypassed the cooler incase it was starving the pump of fluid and it still did it so what is my problem!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

JonM Apprentice Level Tech I

taking a poke... you might have a air bubble or two trapping the flow of fluid. tryy removing the belt, bleed the lines, refill the resevoir then manually turn the pump wheel for a while checking the level and filling. put the belt back on, turn on the car cycle the wheel several times and refill.

im no expert however just taking a stab at it.

1989 Formula 350 A4 / 2001 WS6 Trans Am A4
No Mods / No Mods
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #3

My Facebook

ill give it a try but its weird it only does it after the youve run the car for several minutes, when u start it fluid is normal, after 5 minutes it starts getting yellow and full of air and from there it gets worse so its gotta be sucking air from somewhere
Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

JonM Apprentice Level Tech I

you might have a pin hole somewhere drawing air into the lines. the whine is coming from the pump when it has no fluid. least thats my take but im not a certified mechanic.

1989 Formula 350 A4 / 2001 WS6 Trans Am A4
No Mods / No Mods
Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

could also be a bad seal somewhere in the system. was it a remanufactured or new pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #6

My Facebook

went through 3 pumps, 2 rack and pinions, all new lines, and a different cooler, nothing changed it, leads me to think its gotta be the reservoir thats all thats left.... so ill be getting a different one soon and hopefully it works!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Did you bleed the system after replacing parts. According to GM factory manual, system is bled with ignition key in on position but engine not running. Front wheels off the ground. Turn wheels all the way to left. Have assistant check reservoir and add fluid if needed. There should be no air bubbles. Turn wheels fully through the entire steering range at least 20 times, with assistant checking fluid level. Then start engine and cycle steering fully, steering system is bled.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #8

My Facebook

turned the wheel by pushing tires back and forth while it was on the hoist without it running, that way i could look at the fluid level and if there where any more air bubbles coming up while i was turning the wheel, because i didnt have a helper, all the air was out when i first started it, theres never any air when you first start it only after it has run for 5 or so minutes, and then it gets louder and louder and louder, its sucking it in from somewhere, ill try a few things this weekend and see what happens, first im going to try new o rings where the reservoir goes into the pump
Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #9

My Facebook

replaced pump again as the old one was leaking where the shaft comes out the front, helped but didnt solve, replaced all the orings so im just gonna order a reservoir... when i shook the reservoir itself without the pump attached it seemed like something was very loose inside possably blocking fluid?? or was it a flap that keeps the fluid from flying out the top or swirling or something??
Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #10

My Facebook

turned out to be the reservoir, i put a new one on from gm for 50 bucks and no more whine.... literally replaced everything in the whole power steering system at least once and some parts 3 and 4 times and it was a 50 dollar piece... wow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement