air bag question - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > General Tech > General Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #1

My Facebook
bruiserman user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default air bag question

I was reading that if you remove the airbag and try to put the same bag back in, the airbag dash light will still light up meaning the system is disabled. Is this true? I can't remember where I read that. I need to replace the signal turn off switch because when I turn left the blinker doesn't shut off. It's annoying but I'd rather leave it if the original airbag can't be replaced. I'm not going to buy a new airbag if that is what it takes.
I eventually want to get rid of the airbag and get a different steering wheel anyway, so if I can't reuse the original airbag I just won't do the repair till I am ready to replace the steering wheel.

2006 Kawasaki ZX14, flies removed, exhaust, powercommander, extended 4"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

YeaIDriveAWagon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I know airbag systems can get really touchy. Not 100% positive on if it will permanently disable it or not though. I would definitely suggest that unless you can find a credited source saying that it wont mess the airbag system up that you wait until you are ready to replace the steering wheel.

1995 Caprice Classic Wagon, LT1, K&N FIPK Gen II CAI, Custom True Dual Catback Straight Pipes, Throttle Body Bypass, 160*F Thermostat, A/C Bypass Pulley, 9C1 Air Valence, Home Plate Delete, Manual Fan Switch, Lowered Suspension.
Plus It Seats 9!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
1986 Pontiac 6000 LE w/ the 2.5L Iron Duke! It's got all 98 horses, baby!!!

And a 1992 Honda Civic DX
SOLD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

autotrix Apprentice Level Tech I

No from what I understand that is not true at all. People have to remove the driver side air bag for things like that all the time.

There is a fuse in the fuse box labeled SIR or SRS. You need to pull that fuse and the air bag should no longer have power.

If you don't mind re-setting your stations I would remove the battery just to be safe.

The air bag and electrical system can hold a charge so I would wait 15-30 minutes.

Unplug the yellow wire coming out of the steering column and you should be safe to remove the air bag with no issues.

Its such a dangerous device, trying not to have your head in front while removing it is probably not a bad idea
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

just disconnect the battery for half an hour. it will be fine i've done it plenty of times. now i have a grant wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

Spartan7 Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserman View Post
I was reading that if you remove the airbag and try to put the same bag back in, the airbag dash light will still light up meaning the system is disabled. Is this true?
No. I've removed the air bag a few times. Just to what autotrix said above to disable the system, and you should be fine. Make sure when you remove the air bag that you place it right-side-up (that is, the rubber part of the steering wheel up) and away from you.
M6 Converion, built T56, RAM Powergrip, B&M short throw, McLeod MC, Motive 3.73's, UMI SFC's
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #6

My Facebook
bruiserman user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Sounds good. Will try it soon. Those airbags are crazy. I work for the fire department and we have to watch those things all the time when we are messing with cars. We usually cut the battery wires or disconnect them but we don't have the luxury of waiting 20 min. I definitely will let it sit till power is drained. Just glad I can fix that signal.

2006 Kawasaki ZX14, flies removed, exhaust, powercommander, extended 4"
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #7

YeaIDriveAWagon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

autotrix is one of those credible sources I was talking about haha
I'd say go for it then and to wait the full 30 minutes just to be safe.

1995 Caprice Classic Wagon, LT1, K&N FIPK Gen II CAI, Custom True Dual Catback Straight Pipes, Throttle Body Bypass, 160*F Thermostat, A/C Bypass Pulley, 9C1 Air Valence, Home Plate Delete, Manual Fan Switch, Lowered Suspension.
Plus It Seats 9!!!
1986 Pontiac 6000 LE w/ the 2.5L Iron Duke! It's got all 98 horses, baby!!!

And a 1992 Honda Civic DX
SOLD
Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
bym

bym Apprentice Level Tech I

disconect the battery, let it sit for half an hour or so, then disconect the air bag system and then take the air bag out, you dont want it to explode in your face.

if you follow up this steps, you will not get the air bag light on unles you missed something in the way,,,,

good luck
1996 Camaro Z28 forged 385 A4-, match ported heads and manifold with 3 angle valve job, 52mm custom ported tb, cc503 cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, dual spring valves, lt1 edit, pacesetter long tubes, 3.73 gears, t/a push button, tb bypass, 2.5" true dual exhaust with H, 3k TC, ls1 home made intake, and going in a simple diet
12.22@112mph on nittos 555rīs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement